Double or Nothing 2022

Infinity Land

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

They pretty much telegraphed Kyle winning over Joe with the whole working the arm thing against Fenix.

I've not followed the last week or two but if true...wow. 

I get that Joe is probably in the twilight of his in ring career but there's few worse sights in wrestling in 2022 than Kyle lazily headbanging down the ring to Bobby Fish's shitty Tony Hawk 2 music. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Is JAS v BCC, Eddie & PnP a 'handicap match' or is one of the BCC sitting it out? Guessing Yuta would be the one to. 

Yuta hasn’t been involved in any of the build up so you’d be right.

That said, I guess this all now hinges on what happened to Danielson after the Rampage tapings. If he is injured, they will need to draft him in.

23 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Is JAS v BCC, Eddie & PnP a 'handicap match' or is one of the BCC sitting it out? Guessing Yuta would be the one to. 

Wheeler Yuta is off competing in the Best of the Super Juniors in New Japan. He won't be back until early June.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yuta hasn’t been involved in any of the build up so you’d be right.

That said, I guess this all now hinges on what happened to Danielson after the Rampage tapings. If he is injured, they will need to draft him in.

The belief is he got stuck but was fine. After being left alone in the beginning you can see Bryce check on him. Bryce then brings Hager over to attack the leg to sell it for crowd/TV not knowing what would be used on the show. Then clear out the JAS so that they can get him unstuck.

• Paid Members

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt because there’s still an episode of Dynamite to go, so maybe things will come together at the very last second, but right now this is easily the worst PPV build so far.

Whilst previously everything has suddenly clicked and built to a crescendo in the last few weeks, and they’ve always found ways to make feuds that were otherwise floundering suddenly ignite and peak right when needed, the majority of stuff for this show feels like it’s just limped to the finish line or been booked last minute. I still look forward and enjoy the Wednesday shows in isolation, but as a cohesive, “season,” that builds and pays off at the big show, only MJF/Wardlow and Hookhausen has truly succeeded. Everything else feels either rushed or dragged out, which is super frustrating considering the talent they have and how almost everything will certainly deliver on the night. They’ve managed to book good matches and then made me not excited to see them.

I think a big problem has been the Owen Hart tournament. There’s been so much focus placed on what’s been a pretty underwhelming tournament that guys have been unable to build feuds or set matches up until after they’ve been eliminated. The Hardys vs. Young Bucks is the perfect example. That should feel so much bigger than it does, but it’s felt like they held off actually starting the feud until Jeff Hardy was eliminated, which is too little too late. Similarly, FTR fighting each other in the tournament, for as good an idea as that felt and for as much as I enjoyed the match, it’s criminal given their current form that they don’t have much else going on right now. They should be one of the featured acts on this show.

If the Owen tournament becomes an annual thing I hope they never host the finals on a PPV again. It’s something perfect for that dead period right after a PPV, to fill time and kickstart some new angles. Not something that should get in the way and take up so much time at the expense of other stories.

I’m trying to stay positive though and I do think it’s a sign of what a high standard AEW have created for themselves that a show with MJF vs. Wardlow still feels like a disappointment. Four or five years ago that storyline alone would be enough for any show to feel like the biggest thing in the world. It’s been perfect from start to finish and every segment has been a home run. Same for the Hookhausen thing.

I don’t know what the answer is or how to fix the problem, all I know is that it’s worrying when the great stories are becoming fewer and far between and they’re managing to cool stuff off as the PPV nears rather than heat them up. I shouldn’t care so little about a faction featuring Danielson, Moxley, Kingston, Santana and Ortiz. A greater group of men has never existed, and yet I somehow don’t care at all.

The killer will be when they somehow crowbar Scorpio Sky and Sammy Guevara onto this card, as if that’s anything other than the worst feud they’ve arguably ever done. For a company who’ve proven themselves smart enough to pull the plug on shit that’s not working in the past I can’t understand why we still have to suffer through it. It’s awful TV on every single level. Put the TNT title on anyone else. Give it to Max Caster. Have Billy Gunn adopt him as celebration. Who, other than maybe Vince Russo, is enjoying this awful heel vs. heel, misogynistic bollocks?

Still though. Remember what a banger that six man tag was at Revolution when it featured Erick Rowan?! Imagine doing it again with Rey Fenix instead! Good lord!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

AEW seems to be in a weird place in their booking at the moment. Everything is either drawn out and long to the point that you never want to see it ever again, something exciting that's been thrown together way too quickly to really enjoy it or just there. It's like everything should be good except it's just a bit off in a way that's sapping the excitement from it. It's still enjoyable and there's still lots of great stuff and great angles but the stories have no sense of urgency to them. Hopefully they can refocus soon.

Short term though, dump 75% of the NXT lads and this awful Sammy/Sky feud and they'll be off to a good start. 

Wardlow and MJF are the only people holding the shows together from a story viewpoint, the world title stuff has been ok but feels like it's needed at least another month of build. I heard that Max has had a large hand in booking his feud, too. He can do it all.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

. I heard that Max has had a large hand in booking his feud

You can usually tell who books their own feuds/storylines in AEW - those are always the good ones. The textbook Tony Khan feud is post match attack-backstage promo interruption-repeat for 3 months-match.

Separately, stuff like this should be on TV:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdy1hVTMuAE/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Paid Members

I'm much more bullish about this PPV than most, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Punk v Page will be really good and that story could go in loads of different directions.

Death triangle Vs house of black hasn't been a good story (presumably due to fenixs injury) but the match will be cracking

Wardlow Vs MJF is really exciting

sports entertainers Vs wrestlers will be chaos and insanity.

Three big man little man teams in the tag triple threat should lead to loads of combinations, and AEW don't do tons of triple threats will be good. 

The men's Hart final will be good assuming it's Joe v Cole, which I'm fairly sure it will be. I think they're telegraphing the Kyle o Reilly finish too hard.

Im more and more onboard with hookhausen now, and mark sterling is great value for entertainment. 

In all, I think it'll be a great show