Triple H Announces His Retirement

Jazzy G

5 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

While he won't have personally signed the deal, I think anyone helping to lead the company into the blood money era would be someone I'd struggle to describe as a decent guy. Nobody held a gun to his head.

And that's why we are on an online wrestling forum and his family are sitting on a billion dollar company. You don't get to the top being nice and moralistic. Its why companies are often headed by antisocial types (diagnostically not personally)

9 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

And that's why we are on an online wrestling forum and his family are sitting on a billion dollar company. You don't get to the top being nice and moralistic. Its why companies are often headed by antisocial types (diagnostically not personally)

So you’re agreeing with Zeb that he isn’t a decent guy?

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

As Ronnie Corbett said, to be successful, you have to be selfish.

There aren’t many people at the top of anything who aren’t arseholes and haven’t pushed others over on their way to the top. He understood “the game” in wwe was to please one man and not the millions watching at home, it shouldn’t be held against him that he worked a shit system. 

Was he my favourite? No. Did he have great matches? Yes. He was a fantastic non flashy foil for many and wrestling would Be better if more had his attitude to be at the very top. 

2 hours ago, Winston said:

Come off it, HHH's credentials as a top guy aren't up for debate.

No one's debating his credentials as a talented entertainer and attractor of riches.

I debate whether that matters more in life than being a decent human being.

His work that stands out for me was:

- The retirement angle with Cactus Jack was excellent. 

- I loved all 3 of his Undertaker Mania matches. Incredible performances.

- Thought the Angle / Ronda v HHH / Stephanie Mania match was an outstanding piece of business that blew the roof off the joint. 

4 hours ago, IronSheik said:

His work that stands out for me was:

- The retirement angle with Cactus Jack was excellent. 

- I loved all 3 of his Undertaker Mania matches. Incredible performances.

- Thought the Angle / Ronda v HHH / Stephanie Mania match was an outstanding piece of business that blew the roof off the joint. 

The Ronda match was a thing of absolute beauty considering how he managed to co-ordinate the best match of the night out of 2 non wrestlers and a Kurt Angle way past his sell by date. It was also the longest match on the card and certainly didn't feel that way. 

Now I look back at some of Trippers biggest alleged politics I can't off the top of my head think of any that were really that bad or  by removing them would have actually saved the business/ made things a lot better. 

It's a shame he doesn't get his big retirement match but then I can't think who that could have been against that he hasn't already had a 'one last run' with thanks to the Saudi Shit Shows and other one offs as he wrestled Cena, Orton, Taker and Batista all from 2018 onwards and the idea of another Rollins/ Reigns bout didn't appeal at all. I think the only thing I would have liked to see was him in an actual match for his version of NXT perhaps as part of a wargames team.

My favorite Triple H match has stayed the same for 22 years and that's the last man standing match between him an Jericho. I was surprised to learn some aren't a fan of this but it's never been topped as my favorite. 

What are H's biggest 'political' crimes? holding back RVD (who said himself he wasn't that arsed with WWE and turned down a romance angle with Steph that wouldn't have put him in Vince's good books anyway) and the crap fairly racist feud with Booker T are the two biggest I can think of. 

Edited by DCW

28 minutes ago, DCW said:

What are H's biggest 'political' crimes? holding back RVD (who said himself he wasn't that arsed with WWE and turned down a romance angle with Steph that wouldn't have put him in Vince's good books anyway) and the crap fairly racist feud with Booker T are the two biggest I can think of. 

I would add not letting Goldberg take the title off him at Summerslam which I'm not sure was Triple H or the company insisting Goldberg works more than 5 mins a night back then. They figured that out a bit later on didn't they! 

Apart from that it was just him being on top on Raw for about 3 years. Fans felt he jobbed out potential top guys mostly Booker T and RVD and kept the belt on himself even through injury (Cycling shorts Trips era) but there wasn't really anything or anyone actually better that could take his place. 

I guess pinning Orton a month after he won the title and that feud was a bit naughty but that ended with giving Orton more time to sort his shit out (and stop putting it in divas bags) while giving us Batista which almost all wrestling fans, marvel fans and Melina are very thankful for. 

• Paid Members

There's that whole "Reign of Terror" where he was awarded the World Heavyweight title and just spent a long time having overly dominant wins. The one that always sticks out is when he took the better part of 30 seconds to pin Booker T at Mania 19 after a Pedigree, and Booker stayed down to it. I'm pretty sure he cut a "you people" promo on him during the build to that match. 

When he had the right opponents he could have some brilliant matches. His matches with the Rock, be they as part of the DX/Nation feud or the Rock/McMahon-Helmsley feud were great. Obviously his matches with Shawn, Angle, Taker. 

If he didn't just announce his retirement I'd probably believe you if you told me his Hell in a Cell with Shawn Michaels was still going on, and all. 

I remember some story about a writer who came up with something along the lines of “HHH is over, so we don’t need to have him as the centre of the show, we can use half his time to get others over, not to the level he is but it will make new stars”. When it came to the production meeting, he walked in and HHH and Steph glared at him and gave him daggers throughout. His idea didn’t even get a mention and he was gone a week later. Does that ring any bells with anyone?