Triple H Announces His Retirement

Jazzy G

Austin can remember about 3 anecdotes in total from his entire career so I am not that bothered by that. Did you know he regrets walking out before the Lesnar match? Did you know he thought the business was a shoot before his debut with Frogman Lebranc? Fascinating stuff.

If anyone wants to say he is one of the best of all time that's fine but I would press further, personally. I can only assume by "one of the best" you actually mean one of the top 100 or something because there is absolutely not a chance he is top 5, 10, 20 etc. How many of the greats can you, with any credibility, say he is better than? For me in terms of star power, charisma, workrate, matches I would actually enjoy re-watching etc then he is pretty fucking far down that list.

How many of the following is he above?

Austin, Rock, Hogan, Cena, Bret Hart, Misawa, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Terry Funk, Jushin Liger, Eddy Guererro, Rey Mysterio, Kurt Angle, Kenta Kobashi, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Ricky Steamboat, Kazuchika Okada, Chris Jericho...

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

How many of the greats can you, with any credibility, say he is better than?

There’s no such thing as “credibility” when you’re talking about opinions.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

That's not true though, is it?

Some peoples opinions carry credibility, some peoples don't.

But Steve Austin’s doesn’t? Gotcha.

There’s no such thing as a credible opinion. You can argue the toss for an informed opinion in a journalistic sense but you’re talking about asking other wrestling fans to rate someone as one of the best ever “with credibility” when it’s impossible as everyone has different criteria and personal taste. Anyone can argue Triple H was better than Ric Flair because of versatility, that he could do many different stories in his matches where as Flair was a routine guy that did the same match every night. Likewise Bret, who had his six moves of doom. Or that he was better than Rey because his main event career barely existed compared to Hunters. Or Eddy or Kurt because he was on top longer. Or Hogan because his matches were better. Or any of the Japanese because he reached the pinnacle of the global industry and none of them did.

Are any of those statements correct, or bollocks? Neither. They’re opinions.

Anyone can chime in and give their opinion on anything. Its up to you to decide if it carries any weight based on the persons credibility, how they have formed this opinion etc. 

What I actually said was that I cant imagine anyone except a WWE diehard considering him to be one of the GOATs. If someone like that thinks that's the case then that's fine but I don't necessarily think its particularly credible when there are so many others who have had amazing careers with nowhere near the level of horrendous filth diluting the quality down. If you want to give your arguments on why HHH is legitimately one of the top names in the history of pro wrestling then I would be interested in hearing that argument. The only way to actually weigh this up is my comparing him to others.

Basically what I am saying is, if someone hits out with an opinion like that I would be inclined to ask what they are basing it on. Much like if someone claimed that You'll Love to Hate This by Richard Blackwood is one of the greatest and most important rap records of all time.

• 3 months later...