Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I was watching Mortimer & Whitehouse on Friday and 16yo came in and asked me what I was watching. We then had a chat about fishing and how it's increasingly being used to help people with mental health issues, and how in itself it's a really relaxing programme.

Found out today he's gone and binge-watched the first two series ("Even though I didn't understand a lot of the references").

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was watching Mortimer & Whitehouse on Friday and 16yo came in and asked me what I was watching. We then had a chat about fishing and how it's increasingly being used to help people with mental health issues, and how in itself it's a really relaxing programme.

Found out today he's gone and binge-watched the first two series ("Even though I didn't understand a lot of the references").

It is genuinely such a beautiful series. It's become my comfort viewing, and I've rewatched all of them several times.

I even looked into some of the locations for possible holiday destinations for myself, but sadly they're mostly quite expensive.

That's lovely, such a wonderful show.

My eldest watches a lot of Bob Ross when she's feeling anxious.

We started during the lockdowns, and the three of us would sit of an evening and watch a couple of episodes before bed to calm down after the chaos of the days, and she's kept it up.

Although annoyingly they've all disappeared off the iplayer, but there are full episodes on YouTube. 

I'll often watch some as well going to sleep. Bobs the best.

Been organising a 'money can't buy/big ticket' draw for the Air Cadet Squadron I'm involved with and not expecting a huge amount of response, I've now been able to raise over 30 items ranging from wrestling tickets to signed Oscars programmes to fly fishing lessons to £300 gift vouchers to vintage radios!

So overwhelming that local businesses and individuals would willingly donate things like this for the sole reason of raising money for young people and helping give them a chance of experiences and activities they'd not normally get. 

Thanks Dunmow and surrounding areas! 

50 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Been organising a 'money can't buy/big ticket' draw for the Air Cadet Squadron I'm involved with and not expecting a huge amount of response, I've now been able to raise over 30 items ranging from wrestling tickets to signed Oscars programmes to fly fishing lessons to £300 gift vouchers to vintage radios!

So overwhelming that local businesses and individuals would willingly donate things like this for the sole reason of raising money for young people and helping give them a chance of experiences and activities they'd not normally get. 

This reminds me of when I did something similar when I was a Youth Development Officer and I somehow managed to speak to Amir Khan's brother (his manager?) thinking I'd be able to get some signed pics and he sent about 30 and a pair of signed gloves! And this was around 2010 when he was still pretty up there.

His brother was incredibly nice, and so were Chelsea who donated an absolute mountain of stuff (training ground was near so they were a community partner)

Also managed to somehow get 20 copies of Kidulthood, which I then wasn't allowed to give away, so they may well be still sitting in an office in Walton to be honest.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I'd bid for that Oscars programme, I'd love to see that!

• Paid Members

I've never seen any of these Seth Meyers things before but this really was channelling Craig Ferguson at times. Also I'm biased because it's Dua Lipa, sure, but this was very funny.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:08 AM, BigPete said:

Just a small update, now onto 48 prizes including a flight sim experience in an F-4 Phantom and the offer of our Squadron being able to visit and be hosted by them in the future to try all their other Simulators out, including their F-3 Tornado that's currently being converted to sim ability.

Some of the stuff the small local business/individuals donated:

Around £90 of jewellery,

Pair of designer sunglasses

£100 worth of booze

Loads of vouchers worth £75 upwards

Free car service&MoT 

Pisses me off a bit when you get the following offered by huge companies in comparison:

Specsavers - 25% off voucher!

Co-op - box of chocolates!

But hey ho, all the money raised will go to a good cause! Especially as a BGT winner has offered to put on a show for us for next to nothing and all proceeds will go to the Squadron too. Should nearly double the Squadron funds this year!