AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The show felt like it was booked upside down. Silver & Reynolds main eventing while Punk Vs Dax opens?Made no sense. The whole evening felt like diminishing returns throughout.

The first hour usually gets higher ratings which is why the first half of the show usually has all the top stars and matches. Tony Khan's background is in data and statistics so it makes sense from that perspective but as a viewer it's not necessarily great to watch.

• Paid Members

Ah, ok. I thought it was them trying to be antisemitic dicks. 

Surely the lower rating for the second half means you should try and put better stuff on in the second hour to try and retain those viewers? If he's sticking all the crap in the second hour it's no wonder the ratings are lower. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Ah, ok. I thought it was them trying to be antisemitic dicks. 

I honestly assumed it was to with MJF referring to himself as Satan. The fan explanation makes way more sense 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Surely the lower rating for the second half means you should try and put better stuff on in the second hour to try and retain those viewers?

I think in the past the only person they have who seems able to consistently pop a bigger rating for the main event compared to the first hour is actually Darby Allin. 

• Paid Members

They are (usually) a 8pm start on the east coast aren't they? 8pm-9pm must do better for them in general than 9pm-10pm. Though this period now with longer evenings that's apparently always been different for the likes of Raw with the first hour falling from most watched to least watched.

It's the same reason Match Of The Day front loads with the good matches and finishes with the 0-0. Having said that, it's a later programme so makes more sense. When you're watching on delay, it seems weird, but analysis must show there's no added benefit to a stronger second hour than first hour, but that there is a gain with a stronger first hour lineup than second hour. 

A lot of this is probably more to do with the huge lead in they now get on TBS compared to TNT. Every minute longer they keep those people around adds to their overall rating. 

There was supposed to be one week when 1.6M were tuned for the first minute of the show (carry over from the previous show) and the next week only 1.1M were still tuned to the channel at the start of the show. Unsurprisingly, the week with 500,000 more of a lead in did better overall, even though a third of that 1.6M weren't there for AEW and most of the 1.1M probably was, with it averaging out not much below 1M for the show. 

Leaves us all watching an upside down television show unfortunately. Which doesn't really bother me as I'm never watching it live, but understandably it must be harder to last through if you are. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

This is where some kind of 10 minute wrap up segment would help. Reynolds and Silver are ranked #1, but I've never seen them win a match on Dynamite or Rampage so it makes their tag division look like a joke. Where do the actually undefeated Sting & Darby Allin rank? Or Blackpool Combat Club? 

Throw to some guys in a studio saying "here's what you missed on Dark/Elevation this week" and a few minutes of highlights from them beating people and establishing why they're the number one ranked team. They used to be able to do it on WCW Worldwide 30 years ago with Bischoff/Tony Gillam in front of the green screen with the WCW Magazine segment, so why can't they do it on Dynamite? It'd add to the "sports style presentation" they keep talking about wanting to present, plus it's got the potential to make people more aware that Dark/Elevation are there to be watched and possibly get more views for the YouTube shows.

If they're going to show a box out saying "Silver & Reynolds defeated local job guys/team of people you didn't even realise were in AEW" do it during a promo segment as opposed to a match, because if I'm forced to choose between watching what's going on in the ring or reading a little box with some writing in it I'm going to be choosing to watch the action in the ring. I guess that's on me as well, though. Shame on me for not being able to pay attention to two things at once. I struggle enough to concentrate on the matches if the stream I'm watching decides they're sticking the adverts on when they cut to picture in picture. 

WCW Worldwide was the 90’s version of AEW Dark. An absolute C Show used to promote the main shows. God forbid the 3 hours of cable TV is used for wrestling and not for here’s what you could watch on YouTube at a day and time that pleases you. I mean at least they reference their other shows to give you that information which doesn’t work for you. But when does Raw or Smackdown tell you the results of NXT or 2.0 level up or whatever it’s called. You’re basically moaning that because you don’t watch the shows, or see the results, why should you care?

Flip it around. When Pete Dunne or DIY or AJ Styles featured on Raw/Smackdown did you know who they were? Because you only would have done had you watched other shows/promotions. So the commentary team would tell you why these were big deals. This is really no different. Except they try and make wins/losses actually mean something and WWE don’t.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

WCW Worldwide was the 90’s version of AEW Dark. An absolute C Show used to promote the main shows. God forbid the 3 hours of cable TV is used for wrestling and not for here’s what you could watch on YouTube at a day and time that pleases you. I mean at least they reference their other shows to give you that information which doesn’t work for you. But when does Raw or Smackdown tell you the results of NXT or 2.0 level up or whatever it’s called. You’re basically moaning that because you don’t watch the shows, or see the results, why should you care?

Flip it around. When Pete Dunne or DIY or AJ Styles featured on Raw/Smackdown did you know who they were? Because you only would have done had you watched other shows/promotions. So the commentary team would tell you why these were big deals. This is really no different. Except they try and make wins/losses actually mean something and WWE don’t.

WCW Worldwide was all we got in the UK for a long time though.

I care because I'm being told a tag team I've never seen win a match are the number 1 ranked tag team in the whole company.

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I care because I'm being told a tag team I've never seen win a match are the number 1 ranked tag team in the whole company.

And that was just window dressing for putting Jericho & Garcia over. I wouldn't be shocked to see them drop into the Top 5 soonish on the way to a filler title defense. Since Jericho has had the habit of getting title shots with his protege teams.

Just after a PPV the rankings are very much a prop. How is Cole getting another title shot? His #4 just beat #3 in the rankings and #1 Archer just lost to Dustin on Rampage. Decent chance Cole will be back to #1 in next week's rankings. Just in time to claim a title match at Battle of the Belts II.

Also Layla now being from Russia instead of originally from Russia is pretty lame imo.

Reminds me of Gail Kim going from being from Canada to being from Korea as soon as she turned heel in the early 2000's. And I thought that was shit as well. 

Also I'll never boo Layla over Stantlander after she pulled a "lol no wonder you're birth parents gave you up for adoption" a while back. 

Dark Stantlander is shit.