AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I watched this show on delay, so had the benefit of knowing Hangman was OK. Not to downplay the severity of a concussion by any means, but if you watched that show live, with the way they aimed the cameras away from him and how rattled Taz sounded, it must have been terrifying. Even seeing the ring ropes loosened to help the medics. Fucking hell. Shades of Owen Hart.

Being able to be slightly detached from the moment, I had a whole new level of appreciation for how everyone handled the situation. I’m not just talking about the ref, either. Mox, Regal, MJF. At the best of times, that was some fucking business. The way they teased the cash in, announced the Full Gear main event and then promo’d on it and managed to callback to the story from earlier in the night. Good lord. Spectacular. If even half of that was improvised then they’re geniuses.

Has it came out yet what the original plan was? Did it mostly go down as planned? Because frankly, if Hangman makes a full recovery, I’m not sure it could have gone better. Hangman is now a bigger babyface than ever before for whenever he can come back, whilst MJF vs. Mox feels absolutely massive. I can’t think of a bigger match between two guys who’ve raised their stock so high this year. It seems insane to think this a rematch from when MJF was doing all that shitty presidential election stuff. Night and day. Geek and megastar. Say what you want about AEW being a shambolic zoo backstage, but these are clear examples that despite everything that happens offscreen, they’re still doing the best job of everyone in terms making and elevating some proper stars.

CM Who?

Edited by Supremo

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I watched this show on delay, so had the benefit of knowing Hangman was OK. Not to downplay the severity of a concussion by any means, but if you watched that show live, with the way they aimed the cameras away from him and how rattled Taz sounded, it must have been terrifying. Even seeing the ring ropes loosened to help the medics. Fucking hell. Shades of Owen Hart.

Being able to be slightly detached from the moment, I had a whole new level of appreciation for how everyone handled the situation. I’m not just talking about the ref, either. Mox, Regal, MJF. At the best of times, that was some fucking business. The way they teased the cash in, announced the Full Gear main event and then promo’d on it and managed to callback to the story from earlier in the night. Good lord. Spectacular. If even half of that was improvised then they’re geniuses.

Has it came out yet what the original plan was? Did it mostly go down as planned? Because frankly, if Hangman makes a full recovery, I’m not sure it could have gone better. Hangman is now a bigger babyface than ever before for whenever he can come back, whilst MJF vs. Mox feels absolutely massive. I can’t think of a bigger match between two guys who’ve raised their stock so high this year. It seems insane to think this a rematch from when MJF was doing all that shitty presidential election stuff. Night and day. Geek and megastar. Say what you want about AEW being a shambolic zoo backstage, but these are clear examples that despite everything that happens offscreen, they’re still doing the best job of everyone in terms making and elevating some proper stars.

I thought this too,

Somewhere down the line (hopefully) babyface Hangman vs heel MJF will be superb.

Punk and The Elite shown and mentioned on Dynamite. Is this the first time since the fight?

Punk was shown on clips of former RoH champions (including Kevin Owens ?).

The Elite were referenced as having vacated the trios titles that Death Triangle then won. 

Edited by Version1.0

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

I thought this too,

Somewhere down the line (hopefully) babyface Hangman vs heel MJF will be superb.

Yep. You could see the next twelve months of direction form before your eyes.

MJF beats Mox, goes on a maniacal run, Hangman eventually comes back to dethrone him and save us and the company because he's the greatest man alive.

If Tony Khan's got any sense, he's already purchased the rights to U2's, "Beautiful Day," for Hangman's return montage.

18 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Punk and The Elite shown and mentioned on Dynamite. Is this the first time since the fight?

Punk was shown on clips of former RoH champions (including Kevin Owens ?).

The Elite were referenced as having vacated the trios titles that Death Triangle then won. 

If they want to/can squeeze something out of Punk give him the ROH title and throw a show out online of ROH so neither bother the main AEW shows again. ROH can be his own personal pissong ground to do what he likes for all I care.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, simonworden said:

If they want to/can squeeze something out of Punk give him the ROH title and throw a show out online of ROH so neither bother the main AEW shows again. ROH can be his own personal pissong ground to do what he likes for all I care.

Hasnt colt been moved to ROH? 

18 hours ago, JimmyAnderson said:

It's getting to the point where it's almost impossible for fans not to cheer MJF now. Just wondering if they try a full on double turn at Full Gear. Or if they just keep with MJF going for the cheap heat because it's the only way he'll get booed right now.

I really don’t see the problem with MJF getting cheered, providing the storylines  he’s involved in are compelling; and I’d say they absolutely are.

There seems to be a very binary view of what he’s doing to the point of ridiculousness among the main US critics, and I just don’t understand that. For example - in the most recent Pwtorch Flagship show with Wade Keller and Todd Martin, they talked about how complex heels with sympathetic origin stories don’t lead to matches people want to see, and that a clear face/heel divide is the way to go. I don’t agree with that at all. Keller even askedMartin (regarding the MJF/Regal promo) if he thought MJF might be actively working against AEW to promote himself and his acting range to WWE, which is just an insane question to ask. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I really don’t see the problem with MJF getting cheered, providing the storylines  he’s involved in are compelling; and I’d say they absolutely are.

Agree completely. If people are invested and reacting then it doesn't really matter. Outside of Vince McMahon every character in the Attitude era got face pops regardless. It's all about character and story, not strict face/heel divides.

What's intriguing about this story is does it end with MJF winning the title by his own merit and turning face or does his inability to be able to get the job done honestly lead to him giving in and taking a shortcut to victory? Or does he fight bravely and lose clean - where does he go next? Especially as while Mox is a face he will essentially run through MJF and absolutely grind him into the dirt if he doesn't step his game up to his level. It's a fucking great story.

What’s Callis role in aew? I know he came back on screen with Kenny, but he seems to have been at a lot of shows since as well, wouldn’t fly out if he wasn’t on screen

4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Mox v. Pentagon Jr. booked for Dynamite in a World Title Eliminator Championship Match. Goodbye rankings.

Hopefully they've finally ditched the rankings because they are shit and have long been meaningless.

Just keep the win/loss records.