AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Weirdly, I actually thought that was a great episode of television.

They paced out their stars well and pretty much every segment told a story that made sense.

The wrestling wasn’t great, but it was almost a mercy compared to how many times they put on matches that are trying too hard to be epic.

Only things that didn’t work for me were Cody’s promo (I mean, top marks for his cartoon Joker facials but I have no fucking idea what he was trying to say), the Archer match going on too long and Danielson not being there again.

Other than that, solid stuff. After last week, and the way they built up Spears/Punk, I thought that segment was note perfect… having MJF take a commentary seat only for it to be a squash? Chefs kiss.

Moxley is the coolest man alive. Danielson/Mox please.

Adam Cole - I never saw much of him in the Fed, but if I was Vince and saw the state of his appearance last night (seriously, how many shades of a non-tan can one person have??), I'd have dumped him into a manager role as well. Can't think of a more overrated wrestler on the planet at the mo.

Edited by TheLoon

• Paid Members

Thought it was an OK episode of Dynamite but my word if Cody didn’t do his absolute best to stink it up. 
Echoing what others have said, AEW seems in this rut at the minute where now they’ve worked so hard to get so many people over they don’t know what to do with them so you end up with disjointed shows where people like Kazarian are looking strong against the monster you’ve just brought back, or you end up with loads of repeated moments like Orange Cassidy getting made to look like a chump.

Tony Khan needs to sack some of the chaff off, and needs to start booking Rampage to feature people not on Dynamite so this roster can flow better. It feels bizarre going from Mox and Orange Cassidy to a long Kazarian match and Matt Hardy segment. 
Where are the Bucks? Where is Ruby Soho or Eddie Kingston? Why do they have nothing for FTR or Penta and why was Wardlow not involved in any shenanigans this week?

I think we got so used to seeing who we wanted and seeing storylines take sensible and almost refreshingly obvious paths that now they have no direction it’s brutally obvious.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I know they’re all part of the same company and what have you, but why is the TBS belt being defended on TNT this week?

At least it's being defended. As if Jade Cargill isn't having enough problems at the moment she gets the added handicap of Jericho yammering over over her first title defence. 

They are just names of titles to give brand synergy. They go to USA and the name changes. It’s never been said they can only be defended on a channel, or you’d not have them defended on PPV 

• Paid Members

I'd use them both as a Television championship where they're defended every week on television. It'd be a great way to showcase some of your lower down the card guys on competitive matches without them having these forced epics with top guys all the time. In Jade Cargill's case it'd be good on the job training for her as they can feed her a conveyor belt of talent who would hopefully be able to make her look better and improve week on week. 

Stick the TNT title on say John Silver or somebody like that. Heck pop it on Danielson for a few months and just let him shine week in week out. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Pinc said:

The arena seemed pretty empty with lots of individual voices from the crowd cutting through. It doesn't feel like the same show as two years ago where the crowd were clearly willing every segment to be a home run

The arena was actually almost full, but that building had some bad and weird acoustics for sure. Crowds definitely not as hot as they were even in the summer, which when you consider how weirdly paced and aimless they've been recently it's not massively surprising. Why would they care about Lance Archer vs Kazarian or House of Black vs those fucking losers the Varsity Blondes?

I thought the show looked good. Helps being in purpose built basketball arena and the crowd was a lot better than some others.

The good outweighed the bad.

I knew it was too good to be true when Jake was back cutting a promo with Dan Lambert stuck silently mugging for the camera. Only for Dan to reappear a couple of times after. Archer v. Kaz would have benefited with being a match that finished during the PiP ad break and come back to the highlights leading into the Archer/Hangman brawl.

Overall it was a bridging show to what comes next. Setting up Rampage, Beach Break, and other things. It won't be seen as all that memorable.

Anna Jay v. Jade on a live Rampage has me slightly worried. Since both benefit from having someone with experience to work with.

The Area 451 into Beach Break from OC should have been the finish in the opener. Best Friends/Chaos v. Elite/Era should be wrapped up with next week's Lights Out match. Then they can move onto the likely PPV feuds.

10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

So are Sting and Darby the number one contenders now? The tag rankings rarely make much sense to me.

These were the rankings ahead of last night

The tag division doesn’t have their all-time stats whereas the other two do, but  if you’re just going off of 2022 then in theory, Sting & Darby should be tied #3 with FTR and Private Party as that was their first match this year, with Varsity Blondes dropping down the rankings after losing last night

15 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The House of Black's theme is such a huge downgrade over Black's singles theme, they look great together tho.

Massive downgrade but not unexpected. It’s a theme by God’s Hate who Brody King is the frontman for. I’m not overly familiar with his work elsewhere but I would expect that he had a similar to have his own tracks for his theme there too, and it’s obviously been given to AEW for either mates rates or as part-payment in his downside

• Paid Members

Wardlow was excellent again without uttering a word. Top work!

Mox dropping an F Bomb at 20:03 on cable may pass, but TK might get a slapped wrist. Great promo though.

I didn’t mind the Cody promo, it’s better then when he declared he’d solved racism if nothing else.

Other the Kaz going far too long with Archer, thought the matches were good. Acclaimed once again we’re great. They have a future for sure.

Jericho’s GFY ain’t getting over. Good to tease a split with P&P and the Inner Circle as well.

9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

These were the rankings ahead of last night

The tag division doesn’t have their all-time stats whereas the other two do, but  if you’re just going off of 2022 then in theory, Sting & Darby should be tied #3 with FTR and Private Party as that was their first match this year, with Varsity Blondes dropping down the rankings after losing last night

Sting & Darby not being included kind of makes sense as they're a pairing but really an informal tag team. Sting's been in 7 matches in nearly a year, and one of them was a Trios.

CM Punk still to make an appearance in the Top 5 men's singles doesn't though.