AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I think they're doing a tournament because Tony wants the belt to be something that you have to earn and build towards. He also, fairly clearly, didn't want to crown new trios champs and new heavyweight champ in one night. In a vacuum, it's definitely what they should do. The problem is that AEW isn't in a vacuum, it's in a world already filled with tournaments. This is why you don't do tournaments all the time Tony, sometimes you need one!

Insincere  babyface MJF was the absolute best, clearly a dig at insincere babyface CM Punk (even down to calling someone fat and then apologising, although that probably wasn't the best homage he could've done). I was hoping it was last longer, but there we are. 

Moxley just being too old for all this shit (at 36) was an excellent voice of the company. Bravo.

Right team won the trios match, and they've got all sorts of opportunities for some bangers in the near future. 

I still don't care about Toni Storm, I'm afraid. 

Swerve in our Glory are going full heel and it's going to be excellent. I'd still have them beat the Acclaimed at Arthur Ashe, I really don't think it's time for them to win yet, but I appreciate I'm probably in the minority on that. Basically I want the next team feuding for the belts to be FTR, and I think that feud needs to be with Swerve and Lee, unless they want to test how much everyone loves the Acclaimed..

I'm excited to see what happens with Stokeley's crew, particularly because I'm hoping Page and Moriarty do well out of it. I'm not bothered about the Ass boys as anything other than fodder.

Wheeler Yuta has become an afterthought pretty fast, huh.

A pretty good show, considering, and it certainly buys legal some time to do their investigation. IT surely can't end with them all leaving, could it?

Edit: Saw a few people saying that they thought Sympathy for the Devil was going to be MJF's new song, but he went back to his old song BY THE END OF THE SHOW, so it seemed fairly unlikely, astronomical costs aside.

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It's a real shame that Ross is the way that he is these days, as there are still times where he adds a real gravitas to a match/moment. He undercuts characters and moments far too often, though and actually does bring a show down. Taz, on the other hand, lifts absolutely everything, he's utterly joyful. 

I feel the same, when he gets it right there's absolutely no one better than JR IMO. But he so rarely gets it right these days it's barely worth the effort. I love Taz but wish that he was perhaps a bit more heelish, commentary always needs a heel for the others to bounce off. I love Don Callis in that role but don't really think him and Taz would mesh. 

7 minutes ago, Duke said:

I think they're doing a tournament because Tony wants the belt to be something that you have to earn and build towards. He also, fairly clearly, didn't want to crown new trios champs and new heavyweight champ in one night. In a vacuum, it's definitely what they should do. The problem is that AEW isn't in a vacuum, it's in a world already filled with tournaments. This is why you don't do tournaments all the time Tony, sometimes you need one!

Perhaps, but another thing to consider is that they may well have had an larger-than-usual audience tonight, curious to see what went down. Perhaps you open the show with the Trios match, close it with a title match - and retain the audience throughout. With Arthur Ashe, and the threat of MJF doing something, there may, weirdly, be a way of gaining new viewers out of this. 

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

It was also a bit unfortunate that Chris Jericho gave away the result of Hangman/Danielson - how did that end up happening?

It was a pre-tape, so guessing when they were formatting the show, they forgot Jericho mentioned the winner when they scheduled it to air before the match? But yeah, quite the feck-up. They've had a lot on their minds.

An annoying small thing. We've had a few ROH World Championship and other titles defended across AEW programming.

It has been a while since the ROH Tag titles have been defended. Now we've got one of those champions in a singles World Championship match.

FTR haven't had the most hectic of schedules even with the ability to do indy dates. I don't know how bad their lingering injuries might be, but they have been working sporadically. It would appear easy enough to throw out a title defense while they are at it.

• Paid Members

Perhaps, but another thing to consider is that they may well have had an larger-than-usual audience tonight, curious to see what went down. Perhaps you open the show with the Trios match, close it with a title match - and retain the audience throughout. With Arthur Ashe, and the threat of MJF doing something, there may, weirdly, be a way of gaining new viewers out of this. 

I honestly think that would make the show feel really chaotic and not in a good way. 

Plus it gives time to build MJF v whoever (presumably Mox, based on tonight?) properly. I think hotshotting the belt onto MJF would be a mistake.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but if you're trying to gain new viewers, don't shoot your bolt all in one night - especially when you've just lost your biggest draw(s), even temporarily. Makes far more sense to build something over a couple of weeks, especially with a big show coming up.   

I think it's time I accept that Hangman's star power is almost gone with dwindling crowd reactions, they've fooked him good and proper but I'm not sure how much of that is actually on himself now.

I'm really not interested in the world title picture outside of MJF finally getting the belt.

I fucking love Garcia, glad to see him main event again and grab the title with a class entrance to boot. Far better than that rapper who came out for Bryan. He could even get me watching the ROH reboot.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think it's time I accept that Hangman's star power is almost gone with dwindling crowd reactions, they've fooked him good and proper but I'm not sure how much of that is actually on himself now.

They've given him basically nothing to do for 3 months, proper shoddy booking and he has no clear current direction with The Elite gone. The crowd reaction to him and Omega facing off shows that there's definitely something still there but they have to give him something good to do. No good reason why he's been treading water since losing the title.

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Did you miss the absolute superstar reaction he got sunday when he and omega squared off? Probably will cool off as he’s getting the HHH punishment for his mates actions in 96 depush, so whoever wins the next aew tournament put your money on them selling a lotta T-shirts going forward 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Yeah like I said I'd love to see it but it's not going to happen. Final countdown was above the song budget so Stones is out of the question unless Jagger is an MJF fan

To be fair, I was never on board with final countdown considering Bryan's most famous song is in the public domain.

And a lot of the booking during the run was shit too to be fair, there was a feeling that Tony's new toys took over most of his attention and now look what happened there..

The Omega reaction was an outlier, but yeah I'd mentioned how electric their chemistry was in the other thread.

Edited by Merzbow