AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

56 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

That Punk promo was the drizzling shits.

See I whole heartedly disagree. I watched the promo, and thought it was incredible. Granted, the comments about the crowd not being as “rabid” were justified, but the promo and segment(s) overall I thought were incredible. 

I looked at Twitter afterwards, and saw nothing but glowing praise for it also.

So of course I knew it would be hated by UKFF.

• Paid Members

Ok im way late to that ospray promo..........That was awful he sounded like a 17 year old that just got caught out using a fake ID and denied entry into the club...BRUV listen Bruv.

I have no idea what this punk angle is or what its supposed to do? He comes back makes out like his foot is so broken he cant even stand and loses the match.....Now its perfectly healed and good to go? What purpose could that possibly be for? if they had just left it as a returning punk vs Mox id be super invested. 

Also unless Ospray has other commitments why was that not the final? There is a chance chuck taylor has to try and follow that match.

At this stage the PPV is looking like a decent tv eps. Maybe MJF will be back and call someone a fucking mark again

Edited by quote the raven

12 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

There is a chance chuck taylor has to try and follow that match.

At this stage the PPV is looking like a decent tv eps. Maybe MJF will be back and call someone a fucking mark again

Build up to the Tournament has Hangman in the corner of the Dark Order. Injury angle last week and this week requires Hangman to sub into the Trio. Don't think we'll have to worry about Chuck Taylor making an All Out appearance.

Rumour has Newark, New Jersey as the site of the Full Gear PPV.

13 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I looked at Twitter afterwards, and saw nothing but glowing praise for it also.

So of course I knew it would be hated by UKFF.

Twitter isn't exactly the place for nuanced opinions, though. It's absolutely packed with sycophants - and it works both ways. You have people defending AEW more passionately than they would their own family, and you have people purposely finding fault with everything they do; even the good stuff. The same thing happens with WWE too, of course. 

But it's completely fine to like something, and criticise aspects of it. There was nothing wrong with the promos, but they very much existed to dig AEW out of the hole they dug last week. 

Perhaps this whole story - including the squash - would have worked better had they more time to tell it (much as they ran a rematch between Punk and MJF that felt huge), but as it was, I think they cooled down what should be a very hot match. 

Just now, RedRooster said:

Twitter isn't exactly the place for nuanced opinions, though. It's absolutely packed with sycophants - and it works both ways. You have people defending AEW more passionately than they would their own family, and you have people purposely finding fault with everything they do; even the good stuff. The same thing happens with WWE too, of course. 

And this is why I like this place - you can actually discuss things rather than trying to work within the limits of Twitter, plus having to deal with the absolutely insane people on there that'll jump on you in a second if you say anything negative about their beloved company (AEW or WWE).

Sure, we get people that disagree on here and of course we have some daft arguments (it's still the Internet!), but it's usually a pretty decent level of actual conversation and knowledge and talking about why things worked and why they didn't etc rather than ridiculous focus on minute by minute ratings and Youtube views and whatever else. Twitter is pretty pathetic for wrestling discussion most of the time, apart from whatever Ian posts.

So just to recap, Punk's surgically repaired ankle hurt so much he couldn't stand on it last week, and meant he lost in 3 minutes, but now it's 100% and he can wrestle the classic we all expected, but on Sunday?  Sign me up Tony.

It WAS a good promo - by Ace Steel, a guy I've literally never seen before, who rescued what was otherwise a really shitty moaning, fat-shaming Punk rant.  I don't care what people say on Twitter, but in Chicago, in his hometown, the crowd didn't like it one bit.  Maybe this is a "heel turn" but it feels a LOT more like a really badly booked angle.  They took a red-hot feud, and a red-hot return and pissed it down the drain, for me at least, and apparently for the live crowd as well.

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Proof positive that sometimes for wrestling to work you'e either got to be definitely a good guy or definitely a bad guy.

Right.  And even worse - the match would have worked as face v face just the way it was. 

I admit I am biased to be fair - I never liked Punk but his AEW run so far has been pretty good and he kept his natural persona under wraps.  Mask is off now though.  Moxley is the star they need to move the promotion forward, if they put the title on Punk on Sunday it will just compound the error.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Also unless Ospray has other commitments why was that not the final?

Because the final is obviously Dark Order vs. The Elite, to continue the Hangman/Omega/Bucks story, and whoever wins that is likely going straight into a feud with Cole, O'Reilly and Fish. That's been pretty clear since the beginning.

So as far as I can tell, there was an open contract hanging around backstage somewhere, whoever was first to sign it would get a title shot, and just nobody bothered? No sneaky heel thought "fuck getting battered about in a ladder match, I can just blindside Ace Steel and sign this"? None of the people who have been complaining about not getting used well enough thought, "wahey, free main event match, let's have it"? 

It would have been cheesy WWE invisible cameraman stuff, but they could have shown us Ace Steel paying a couple of extras to work security for him backstage to stop that happening, showed him fighting off someone expendable like Serpentico trying to get at the contract, other wrestlers trying to find him backstage - something other than the entire roster just accepting that this bloke who works backstage has just decided he won't let any of them get their hands on it. Bit of an abuse of power, that.