AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

10 hours ago, adjarrell said:

Christ alive this is fucking dire. It has the same Energy of playground arguments over which games console was better. Why on earth have they uploaded this? Who is it for? Mad. 

Exactly what I was thinking. How can something like this get to air. It was like the chairman of the drama club had a pissy disagreement with the captain of the football team over who could use gymnasium on a rainy day. Aussie open and the Bucks should have just walked off and left them to it. Everyone in the arena should have. 

I wish I could be going into the PPV really looking forward to the main event. I was and Mox/Punk was an exciting prospect for me. But now? I feel a bit cold towards it. They have overcomplicated it when they didn't need to.

I'm sure some people will love what they're doing and I'm glad there are people enjoying it. But instead of simply spending a couple of weeks heating up the feud it has done the opposite for me unfortunately.

But hey - as we always say.. I'm sure the PPV will be great.

The commentators did my head in during the Punk/Steel stuff.

It was fine, good perhaps, and Punk is always a good promo.

But… it wasn’t the best thing ever. I didn’t need to be repeatedly told how great it was or how they couldn’t believe what they were seeing.

The fans didn’t seem THAT arsed, either, which is probably what’s caught them off guard as I imagine they’d prepped for a crowd as hot as lava.

• Paid Members

It really felt like just before the show, Tony realised that there was still a main event to sort out and how we got there. Felt like 2/3 weeks build crammed into one night with the long Moxley promo, then the long Punk promo with random Ace Steel appearance (who looks younger than Punk) then a further Moxley promo.

Makes last week's decision all the more strange, this match could have been huge and hasn't added anything further by taking the title from Punk or the quick victory for Mox. Both of them coming through / going into the crowd was weird as well. Again, like it should have been done over a couple of weeks.

W.Morrisey looked great, but has already had his legs cut by being lumped in with Stokeleys group of scrubs. No idea why they have brought him in when Lance Archer can't even get TV time. 

Hopefully the Joker is a returned from injury and not another Lio Rush type that's just taking a spot.

EDIT: Just seen over on Twitter that Khan was hyping last night's Dynamite as the 'Most eventful go home show in Dynamite history'. I didn't realise by 'most eventful' he just meant 'shit load of promos'.

Edited by Nick James

24 minutes ago, TheLoon said:

It spoke volumes when Moxley issued the open challenge and the Chicago - Chicago! - crowd chanted MJF.

But it’s also not very surprising and the fact they haven’t seen this coming is a little weird. Going back to my earlier point, the comms had clearly prepped for the hottest crowd of all time.. and it just wasn’t.

Chicago is a subversive crowd and likes subversive characters. Throughout WWE - even when it clearly wasn’t true - Punk was able to cast himself as the anti-authority choice of the subversively minded. His time in AEW has been very enjoyable, but the idea of him being anti-authority is absolutely shattered.

He is the establishment, and even those leaked stories of him being fed up recently wouldn’t have helped as he’s now - if true - moaning from a position of power.

That crowd is primed to want the guy who just got silenced after telling the owner to fuck off, rather than the well paid, veteran main eventer.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

That Punk promo was the drizzling shits. Proof positive that sometimes for wrestling to work you'e either got to be definitely a good guy or definitely a bad guy. Imagine telling someone a year ago he'd library a Chicago crowd for the go home show of a PPV he was main eventing. Butchering your home town sympathy by fat shaming someone in the front row then immediately panicking about it. What a plank. "But that's really him, no character!"

They got there eventually, but - like we can safely say about the rest of this build up now - boy was it stupid. Punk's mate coming out felt like the most unnecessary stay-behind-the-curtain appearance since they turned Johnny Ace into an on screen character during the first summer of Punk. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

Mox/Punk feels like six weeks of story crammed into three which is usually the opposite of what AEW do. I like that they've actually started introducing carrying a story throughout a show rather than have everything as segments. This is absolutely essential.

I guess Ace Steel didn't hear about the memo from the TV executives to tone down the language. I'm sure that F bomb went down well.

Show as a whole was ok-ish but didn't exactly make All Out feel unmissable or special at all. It had all the usual frustrating problems.

Only positives I have taken from aew since I started watching dynamite this morning is reading that Bobby Fish isn’t getting a renewal and that Malachi wants away. Good transfer business to move on those who aren’t adding anything good 

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The fans didn’t seem THAT arsed, either, which is probably what’s caught them off guard as I imagine they’d prepped for a crowd as hot as lava.

That must have been the worst reaction Punk has ever had in Chicago. I agree with the above - I think they expected Punk to be signing his contract in the crowd surrounded by rabid fans, cheering and chanting his name as you'd expect in that city. Instead, he received a mixed reaction including some heckles (including an audible "Colt Cabana" chant) - making his decision to walk into the crowd as if they'd pumped him up look all the more bizarre. 

The decision to run the title match last week (with no good explanation as to why) has to be one of the worst booking decisions AEW has made. The promo three weeks ago had people sold on the match, the unnecessary detour has only served to make it feel less special. If they'd added a stipulation (eg. Punk putting his career on the line) that might have worked, but this fell flat for me. 

People seem to be assuming MJF will be the mystery man in the ladder match, I'm going to guess that it'll be a Samoa Joe return, leading to CM Punk/Samoa Joe for the belt, possibly at Arthur Ashe. 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

W.Morrisey looked great, but has already had his legs cut by being lumped in with Stokeleys group of scrubs. No idea why they have brought him in when Lance Archer can't even get TV time. 

Stokely getting angry at Tony was a bit odd too. It's pretty obvious what he's doing, why would that annoy him; aside from it being a blatantly obvious question? Whatever the case, Morrisey has impressed me every time I've seen him post-WWE, so I'm interested to see what he does in AEW. He doesn't feel like an ex-WWE wrestler anymore, so credit to him for that. 

AEW is a bit of a shit-show right now. I can't believe we've ended up at All Out with this line-up. If you rewind back to the Dynamite following the last PPV, it seems harder to have ended up where we are, than where we could have gone. 

EDIT: @Louch - where is that Malakai Black news from?

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Only positives I have taken from aew since I started watching dynamite this morning is reading that Bobby Fish isn’t getting a renewal and that Malachi wants away. Good transfer business to move on those who aren’t adding anything good 

Just to note, the source for this news is a single random Twitter account. None of the more credible places have reported this as of yet. Black was recently saying he nearly retired this year due to back injury so who knows what is up with him. Might explain his stop start push.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Just to note, the source for this news is a single random Twitter account. None of the more credible places have reported this as of yet. Black was recently saying he nearly retired this year due to back injury so who knows what is up with him. Might explain his stop start push.

Well that’s ruined my holiday :( 

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I guess Ace Steel didn't hear about the memo from the TV executives to tone down the language. I'm sure that F bomb went down well.

It was debunked almost as soon as it came out. In the meeting they had last week partially off the back of Punk calling out Hangman which wasn't approved. Running promos by agents and watching language when not approved was mentioned. This then became an "edict from WBD" in the news cycle.