Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 (edited) Poirier’s farewell fight booked and it’s in his home state Louisiana. Not the fight I was hoping for, don’t really see the point in a trilogy when one guy’s already 2-0 up. Plus I was hoping for Holloway vs Oliveira 2 next. But sod it. I’m never gonna complain about a fight like this. Edited April 25, 2025 by wandshogun09 Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 That is surprising. I'd have thought a trilogy fight with Gaethje would be the way to go. Quote
Zebra Kid Mark Posted April 25, 2025 Posted April 25, 2025 Yeah with Dustin 2-0, this is a bit of a weird match up. I would rather have seen a Justin, Hooker or Oliveria rematch over this one, though come fight week I will be hyped for it. It's an amazing send off for someone who has never been a proper champion and someone with a patchy win loss record. He gets to headline a PPV in his home state, I assumed it would be a Fight Night for his last fight but to have an actual PPV headliner as your advertised retirement fight is huge and I can't remember that ever happening before. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 Yeah and I don’t even know if New Orleans was on the schedule originally. I remember Dustin doing interviews months ago saying he’d been in talks about his last fight and he told the UFC he wanted it in Louisiana if possible. Seems like they’re going there mostly as a favour to him. It’s refreshing though that for once they’re doing something like this for one of MMA’s good guys. The Gaethje fight would’ve been my choice as well, to be honest. They’re 1-1 and they’ve both finished each other. There’s legitimately unfinished business there. Poirier vs Holloway is a great fight but, yeah, 2-0 already. I get that the first fight was so long ago, so early in both their careers and it was a short fight. It’s almost like it never happened. But it did and Dustin won. The rematch was fantastic and I expect this third one will be something similar. But even still, if Max wins he still loses the trilogy 1-2. And if he loses? Well then he’s 0-3 in another trilogy (also 0-3 vs Volk) and will have just lost to a man on the way out the door. Maybe July just didn’t work for Gaethje for whatever reason but it’s a shame we’re never gonna get a conclusion to that series. In other news, Atlanta main event in June’s been announced. They’ve found Usman! Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 His win-loss record may look patchy at face value, but just take a look at his record, and see the people he's been mixing it up with. Dustin's been in the UFC for the majority of his career, for fourteen years. When your worst UFC loss is perhaps Zombie or Cub Swanson, it's probably one of the best examples of how the numbers don't always tell the full story. Plus he didn't just avenge the McG loss, he won the trilogy, and fucked the guy's leg up in their last fight to put a cherry on it. And he's beaten Holloway twice - sure, not at Holloway's optimum weight, but the guy is one of the best to ever do it. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 Bit more from Poirier on how this Holloway fight came about. Apparently he asked for Gaethje originally but the UFC seemed hell bent on the third fight with Max for some reason. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted April 26, 2025 Posted April 26, 2025 I dunno I'm pretty happy with this fight for his last and was the one I was expecting. It's a almost guaranteed banger for his last fight in their aswell which ends his career perfectly. I can't believe I'm now saying this but I want paddy Vs Justin anyway so I've still got a chance he's one of a couple that don't have fights and absolutely work and are exciting matchups. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 27, 2025 Same night as Poirier vs Holloway 3… Quote
NeverYield Posted April 27, 2025 Posted April 27, 2025 This one without a sensational undercard might not sell out at Wembley? Us lot who follow the boxing properly will be interested, but the average joe won't I shouldn't think. Usyk gets quite a lot of love across socials and Dubois is getting there but don't see this selling out imo who knows though, that's right, rastafari Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 27, 2025 Yeah could definitely do with a strong undercard. Maybe they’re thinking that with Usyk coming off the two wins over Fury and Dubois coming off chinning AJ, this’ll pack Wembley but it doesn’t necessarily work like that does it. Looking forward to it anyway. Quote
Gooner Posted April 27, 2025 Posted April 27, 2025 I'll be going to it. I'm glad the fight is happening as Usyk deserves to get the belt back he never lost in the ring, become undisputed heavyweight champion again and sail into the sunset undefeated with all the belts. The fight itself has that twinge of doubt to some over did Dubois hit him low or not in the first fight, I believe he did, if Usyk needed to get up if told by the ref he would have, but they will use that to make people think and the fact Dubois has been on a tear since then. No doubt for me Usyk wins and stops Dubois again. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted April 28, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 28, 2025 Mad that Usyk may leave the game having beaten the other top 3 heavyweights of his era twice each. Some feat. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted May 2, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 2, 2025 I thought April Fools was in April. What’s happening? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.