The best PPV of..... Q4

Tommy!

• Paid Members

Hello,

I was thinking of a little run of threads to delve into preference and nostalgia (and also seeing a discussion about 2002 WWF on twitter and the recent 2001 review here) on what people hold as the best PPV of each month. 

Now Q1 is just going to be rumble talk and bumming X7, so I thought I'd start at the end of the year. 

To get the ball rolling I'll put down my initial thoughts, but as is well established I'm a dick and a bit of a thicky, so rip them apart or ignore them. 

Dec:

WCW shortlist : for me it's between Starrcade 93 & Starrcade 88 at first thought, both enjoyable shows with a great main in flair v vader & flair v luger and enough enjoyable stuff underneath. It should be 97, but they fucked it top to bottom and created a show I just never really enjoyed. 

89 had that odd round robbin, 90 had some fun underneath in the doom tag and luger v Hanson but the black scorpion and another tournament let's it down. 

WWF shortlist: doesn't really get much of a look in except in your house 5, nothing from the TLC era stands out to me and the only Armageddon which I could see any argument for is 2000 where the main event draws strong opinions as a classic or a bit of an underwhelming overbooked disappointment. 

Before that it's shite in 98 with rock bottom where nothing worthwhile happens, 97 with the awful dx & 96 with Hart vs sid falling flat. 

IYH 5 though, a great main in Bret & Bulldog, a fun tag from what I remember with Sid & Kid, fun wacky shenanigans with the hog pen and Ahmed getting to stand around looking beefy and shouting incoherently. 

Ecw only had one I believe, massacre on 34th Street in 2000, which isn't really worth revisiting besides the tajiri tag. 

So to TNA where I can't believe I'm saying it but turning point 04, 05 & 06 all actually deliver good shows. 

So, enough of my musing (although I'm sure I'll be back with my bad takes on November (survivor series 02) & October unless the thread get pumped full of Ian Beale, but over to the smart party people of UKFF, what's the best PPV to take place in October, November & December?

• Awards Moderator

Survivor Series 2002 would be my WWE pick. Top to bottom solid card, MSG layout, Elimination Chamber, Scott Steiner. One of the rare WWE PPVs I bought on DVD afterwards.

If we're counting NXT, TakeOver: London is a good shout. Peak NXT with a super hot crowd and some great matches.

Other than that, I'd probably be with you in giving TNA some credit. Turning Point '04 had that mad AMW vs XXX cage match, but I've had a look through and, with the rose-tinteds on, Bound For Glory 2005 was a bit good. Samoe Joe vs Jushin Liger, Styles vs Daniels in a 30 minute Iron Man, an Ultimate X, and sentimental favourite of mine Rhino winning the belt at the end.

Interestingly i watched Survivor Series 2002 again recently and found it not as great as i had remembered it to be …

Not that there was anything wrong with the show but i just recalled it being better . 

Would WCW Starrcade 96 have a shot at least of making the top 3 ?

Fun Show.

WCW World Women's Title Tournament Final Match (vakant)
Singles Match
No Disqualification Match
Jeff Jarrett vs. Chris Benoit (w/Woman)
WCW United States Heavyweight Title Tournament Final Match (vakant)
Singles Match
Lex Luger vs. The Giant
Non Title Match

Last year's Full Gear was a really great show - Omega and Hangman in a fantastic opener, OC and Silver in a hot second match, the Bucks/FTR tag which was superb, Darby gets the TNT Title off Cody in another really good match, and Mox and Eddie had a proper scrap in the I Quit match main. I put that over Survivor Series 2002, personally.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Survivor Series 95 does it for me. Its generally one of the shows that I'll stick on if I'm hungover or doing something else in the background.

A fun opener with a lot of the talented undercard lads, the wildcard match and a pretty decent main event means that there's something for everyone.

SS96 is probably a better card objectively, but for pure nostalgia, SS95 tickles my tastebuds.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, Max Power said:

Survivor Series 95 does it for me. Its generally one of the shows that I'll stick on if I'm hungover or doing something else in the background.

A fun opener with a lot of the talented undercard lads, the wildcard match and a pretty decent main event means that there's something for everyone.

SS96 is probably a better card objectively, but for pure nostalgia, SS95 tickles my tastebuds.

A fantastic show. Just chucked it on because of your post. All the undercard matches have something going on. Bret Vs. Diesel is one of the great underrated title bouts. A proper fight, beautifully worked, in only the way Bret could work it. 

He's the greatest ever. And the fact that the archival WWE Network system hold a Mt. Rushmore above him makes it all the more satisfying. 

Survivor Series 88 is a personal favourite of mine.

The 10v10 is a belter messy finish aside, Warrior was picking up steam and the main event was a fun scrap imo. 

Also some nice foreshadowing of Savage's eventual heel turn at the end. 

The Silver Vision release is fucking weird though with horrible cuts and the first two matches being swapped around. Really surprised at how different it was in the DVD set. 

• Paid Members
On 9/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, The King Of Swing said:

The Silver Vision release is fucking weird though with horrible cuts and the first two matches being swapped around. Really surprised at how different it was in the DVD set. 

As is the 1987 release where they manage to cut out the British Bulldogs’ elimination from the tag match. Many shows before 1992 were chopped up to make a 3hr version for tape release. Most notable are some of the WrestleMania tapes were matches seem much shorter and on many undercard matches only the second wrestler gets their entrance. Conversely however SummerSlam 91 features all the interviews that aired in the intermission (which was a weird concept for a PPV).