Carvery Rules

neil

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, neil said:

Carveries have their place, some people can't cook for shit and sometimes you just want a roast without having to spend all the time. They are really the fast food world of roasts. You should definitely be ashamed if you can't finish what you took though - no excuses for that kind of shithousery.

Seems like most people align to the "one time meat, multi veg" approach, which like I alluded to above is very annoying. Everything should be available for multiple trips IMO.

@johnnyboy thats a cracking story. Was that back when it was still called the Swallow Hotel?

I get why they are popular, but there are much better places to get a roast, including pubs. No, not weatherspoons, but a pub which cook their own. The difference between a cook and a chef as well. Last time I went to Toby was for breakfast and the first since going vegetarian. Because they had none ready the said they would cook us some veggie sausages and bring them out. 20 minutes late we got 2 each. Mine were stone cold in the middle, wife’s were so over done you couldn’t cut into them. Again, cooks and chefs though not sure if all Tobys are the same.

• Moderators
Just now, johnnyboy said:

I think it was a Marriott by then, but I wouldn't bet money on it.  Would have been late 1999.

I'm 99% sure it was still the Swallow Hotel in 99. Considered well posh within the Abbey, so hopefully the missus enjoyed it.

I wouldn’t expect a gourmet feast from a carvery anymore than I’d expect a post COVID jab boost from a Subway. You get what you pay for. If sourced correctly you can get a far better meal for as reasonable a price but you could just as easily stay home and eat better for cheaper. Carvery’s are good in a pinch when the bare minimum food satisfaction is required, same a a Wetherspoons mixed grill. 

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

We had quite the heated debate in the Unpopular Opinions thread once about carverys. I hate them and think they’re shite, everything overcooked and bland, but for the price you can’t moan. 

I've always hated GSTQ as a national anthem and felt it didn't sum up being English in the slightest. I've never seen anything more typically english than explaining how shit and bland a carvery is but that we shouldn't really moan because it's cheap. 

If someone could write a new national anthem with that as a start point I'd be very grateful.

45 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

God save our carvery

Smother it with gravy

God save the carv, da da da da

Three different dried out meats

Veg makes the plate complete 

Roast dinner on the cheap

Toby Carvery. 

So much better and no celebration of pillaging others nations. 10/10.

This thread reminds me of the time a few of us had to travel and stay overnight for work, our hotel being next to a Toby meant this was the logical choice.

I usually find with these overnight stays that there is always one in the group who has never been to these places before and this was even more obvious when the guy behind the counter asked what meat my colleague wanted, his reply 'Can I have fish'.

Still makes me laugh to this day. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I usually find with these overnight stays that there is always one in the group who has never been to these places before and this was even more obvious when the guy behind the counter asked what meat my colleague wanted, his reply 'Can I have fish'.

MV5BMjY2MTBiMTAtZjI1Yi00NWNmLTk2MWMtMmYx

“Fish?”

• Paid Members

I usually go for the veggie option, then try to get as many Yorkshire pubs filed with veg & gravy accompanies by spuds as I can manage. Leaving space to enjoy some lemon meringue pie for dessert, obviously. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Briefcase said:

This thread reminds me of the time a few of us had to travel and stay overnight for work, our hotel being next to a Toby meant this was the logical choice.

Still makes me laugh to this day. 

That is rather amusing, but they do have fish:

Steamed Seabass
With red and green peppers, red onion, courgette, dill, butter and lemon. Served with veg from the deck or enjoy with a side of Toby's House Salad.

Sounds delightful.

• Moderators

Because I love to doublepost, especially with dull followups.

I notice Toby calls sausages wrapped in bacon "pigs in blankets". In my family these are only ever called chipolatas - anyone else have that in their family? More confusing for me as in the US the blanket is pastry.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, neil said:

Because I love to doublepost, especially with dull followups.

I notice Toby calls sausages wrapped in bacon "pigs in blankets". In my family these are only ever called chipolatas - anyone else have that in their family? More confusing for me as in the US the blanket is pastry.

Nah, they’re pigs in blankets here (North East) as well.