The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

1 minute ago, Factotum said:

Highly doubt that. If anything you may have had a more competitive league. Clubs haven't been able to challenge organically at all.

Clubs wouldn’t have been able to challenge the top two without huge injections of cash such is the way football as a business is set up. It’s BECAUSE they can’t and couldn’t challenge organically is the very reason why rich owners treating clubs as a plaything broke the hegemony. 

The brutal truth is if football operated within the business parameters that normal businesses had to, 90% of clubs wouldn’t exist. 

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Clubs wouldn’t have been able to challenge the top two without huge injections of cash such is the way football as a business is set up

I would assume you put Arsenal as one of the top 2 there. I would argue we were a perfect example then of how you can run a club financially responsibly and challenge a club like United.

You are correct in your points and I accept that, perhaps my issue is how football is run as a whole,.

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I would assume you put Arsenal as one of the top 2 there. I would argue we were a perfect example then of how you can run a club financially responsibly and challenge a club like United.

Absolutely. They were the blueprint of how to run a football club. May not have got the silverware fans crave when paying for the stadium but long term it was prudent. 

You’re right about the way the game is run, I think that’s one of the reasons why people my age are turning more to non league. 

Imagine this drags on and Chelsea have to hold on to all their returning loan players. They’ll have about 100 players on the wage bill. Hopefully the Mega Powers take out the other oil states next, let their blood be my fuel for some real low tier banter!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

As our Devon said, this is great, now do the Saudi owned clubs. 

No chance sadly. Our government are providing UAE and Saudi Arabia with weapons to attack Yemen aren't they? Bad countries are only bad countries if they aren't our friends.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without them it would’ve been the same two clubs dominating for decades. 

I'd say there's a case for further United dominance, but not us. Liverpool leapfrogged us pretty quickly after we started going through our 'paying off the stadium phase' and Spurs have been better than us for the past 5 years. Then you also have Leicester finishing above us 3 times as well as Wolves and West Ham.

I reckon we'd have maintained a title challenger status for an extra couple of seasons at the most if Roman hadn't have bought Chelsea. The timing of them and City coming into money was bad, but the main reason for our downfall was how we tried to rebuild our great squad on a small budget in a very short space of time. 

I will say this though, I reckon we'd have won the Champions League in 2004 had Roman not bought Chelsea.

• Paid Members

Obviously my knee-jerk reaction is to laugh long and hard at this. As much as Chelsea have possibly the most wholesome support base of any club on this forum, I still dislike them enormously.

But I feel like this is a big step towards something potentially catastrophic, which I'm not going to go into detail with because it's not really related to football and probably belongs more in the Ukraine thread.

Everyone has known all along about Abramovich's probable links. Now all of a sudden he must be gotten rid of because Russia invaded Ukraine? I just really hate football, man. 

• Paid Members

I'd say normally crow (or chirp) about what wonderful timing this is with them playing away at Norwich tonight. A whole Megabus journey to mull their futures over before turning up a wet, windy, fortress Carrow Road. 

However, we've got about as much vigour as an ant passing wind. So they'll still win. 

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

I reckon we'd have maintained a title challenger status for an extra couple of seasons at the most if Roman hadn't have bought Chelsea.

Its hard to say as the landscape would have been so so different. Players who went to Chelsea would have gone elsewhere etc. There was a period where they just collected players like SWP or whacked on 15 million bids so nobody else could have them.

The hoarding of the youngsters in their academies who they sent out on loan for years on end. The landscape of English football is very different if Roman doesn't swan in. Also throw in that Terry was all but off that summer and Jose probably never goes to Stamford Bridge.

It was a club that could drop 60 million on a player, who if he didn't work out, could just buy another for more (Werner - Lukaku this summer being a more recent example)

Its mad just how different things could have been had he not come in.

Edited by Factotum

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Liverpool leapfrogged us pretty quickly after we started going through our 'paying off the stadium phase' and Spurs have been better than us for the past 5 years. Then you also have Leicester finishing above us 3 times as well as Wolves and West Ham.

Bar Spurs, haven’t all those clubs had cash happy takeovers though? If they hadn’t, they wouldn’t be finishing above Arsenal. 

38 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Fuck 'em.

Spent 15 years riding on a crest of a wave thanks only to his money. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. 

I don’t think that’s true, they were always a good team in or around the top 4 with a good cup record. Providing they didn’t go bust and were taken over by a decent investment consortium like Spurs for instance I can very well see them winning a European Cup or League title. Definitely not as prolific but who knows what football would have been like if Abramovich never changed the landscape.

Yeah it’s not as if Chelsea were languishing mid table before the takeover, didn’t they finish third the season before he took over?

I tell you what’s missing from the game, takeovers where the princely sum of one pound is paid for the club and they all get photographed stood by a massive novelty cheque. Games gone lads. 

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I tell you what’s missing from the game, takeovers where the princely sum of one pound is paid for the club and they all get photographed stood by a massive novelty cheque. Games gone lads. 

Not sure about the cheque, but this ÂŁ1 purchase resulted in the entire club becoming a bit of a novelty.