The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Christian Eriksen has reportedly passed a medical with Brentford.

One hand I'm delighted (I love him and I love Brentford) but on the other hand I'm scared, and watching him will be really anxiety inducing.

I really hope it all works out for the best as he is a lovely, lovely player.

• Paid Members

Who's the guy that went through something similar and pretty much plays with a pacemaker? Daley Blind wasn't it? I'm sure he'll be fine. 

Spurs could've done with him seeing as they're seemingly going to offload every midfielder they've signed over the past 3 years tomorrow. 

We've re-signed Jermain Defoe and the exclusive was nabbed by a local 60 year old matchday male stripper, Wee Phillie, who trespassed onto our training ground with incredible Partridge-esq footage and is now the no.2 Twitter trend in the UK. I fucking love my club sometimes.

Wee Phillie with more journalistic prowess than Sky Sports' Keith Downie.

• Paid Members

Probably written too much about Dele Alli on here already but it’s starting to sink in that he’s left.

Maybe I just forged an attachment to him because he was symbolic of those couple of years where Spurs were (actually, objectively, according to results and the table) one of the best teams in the country, but I’m really sad to see him go. It’s complete nostalgia as he was part of too many amazing memories from the last six years… the two headers that beat the unbeatable Chelsea, dismantling Real, the 4-1 against Liverpool that I watched on holiday in Barcelona, the goals at Stamford Bridge, the lob at the Emirates, generally being superb in 16-17 when we were virtually winning every match. I saw him score on my first chance to see a live Champions League game, I saw him score a winner on my last trip to White Hart Lane (against Everton, ironically), I saw him score one of his last great goals for Spurs, under Jose at Old Trafford. It was a false dawn for his resurgence, one of several, and if we were selling another player with the same contribution from 2020 to today without those memories, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid, so just keep telling myself we’ve sold the Dele Alli of 2022, not 2018.

Maybe it’s been upsetting because as Alli has gone backwards, so have Spurs. While Kane stayed consistent and Son undoubtedly improved from that 2017 peak, Eriksen outgrew us completely, the defence aged and disintegrated, Dembele left, Wanyama fell apart, Lamela became even more injury prone and inconsistent, Moura failed to command a consistent starting berth and other signings disappointed in performance, attitude or both. With every step away from a top four spot, Alli retreated further into his shell. It was telling that even when the inexplicable run of form that saw Jose get 7 points from City, Chelsea and Arsenal and the side fraudulently sit top of the table for a few weeks last season, Alli was barely involved, such had his stock fallen with a manager that when first appointed had tasked himself with reigniting the form of a talented player gone off the boil.

When Alli scored the first league goal of Tottenhams season and it seemed Nuno was giving him a chance, it was the last chance saloon. Soon everything fell apart and those 10 games were a punch of reality right in the face ; Spurs were still dreadful and Nuno wasn’t the right man. Conte came in, and it seems that persevering with Alli was one of the decisions he felt Nuno had gotten wrong. Alli’s start against Liverpool, enforced by covid absences, yielded a performance lauded by fans and pundits alike, which Conte said needed to be a “starting point.” Dele started one of the next two games, away to Saints where he was hooked after an hour, and that was all the last looks that Conte needed, gone. For another month, Dele had no further chances in the league, didn’t feature in two legs of the league cup semi against Chelsea and it was obvious Conte knew he wasn’t in the plans. Possibly, he didn’t even see enough in training or against Morecambe in the FA Cup - which Alli lasted 70 minutes - to see merit in any more game time for a player with still some limited market value but who he didn’t want to keep. Or more likely, “starting point” was just to hold the media at bay, to stop them asking questions when he already had made his mind up about the fallen star.

Either way, Conte wanted him out, and he’s out. And I’m sad. Some Spurs fans are still slating him as potential squandered and doubting if he’ll ever be regarded as a club legend, although we’re a funny lot and are happy to consider Lineker and Gascoigne as legends for contributing for fewer seasons to a Tottenham side not as good and not as close to a championship as the one Alli played in from 2015-2019. Ultimately I think silverware still counts in that regard, and Lineker and Gascoigne did at least bring an FA Cup home whereas the “better” Spurs team of Alli, Kane, Eriksen and Son won more games and finished higher in the table but didn’t actually win anything for the cabinet.

Regardless, a chapter closes and life goes on. I hope Alli recovers form and returns to commanding a regular league start and can prove he still has it in him, even though I’ll wish he could have done it at Tottenham.

• Paid Members

As great as he was, I do question Alli’s mentality as he’s got older. It feels like he’s regressed rather than matured.

He seems to have settled into some footballers bad habits and started doing stuff we associate with the most temptemental, such as posting on Instagram during Spurs games and liking the lifestyle a bit too much etc.

He’s the opposite to Samson in that he deteriorated as he grew out his hair and started plastering himself in dodgy tattoos.

A change of scene was desperately needed, but a few managers have tried and failed now. Probably a decent deal all round.

Edited by garynysmon

Dele began to believe his own hype and thats where he came undone. Quite simply, he believed he only had to turn up and he'd be in the team. Problem was people quickly began to notice that he didn't put any effort in and it was time to go. Managers gave him chances but he just didn't look interested enough to take them. If he had put the shifts in and run himself into the ground then fans would have given him longer but he just didn't. It'll be interesting now what happens with Son and Dier as they were/are very good friends with Dele so not having him around the club may affect them.

Reasonably happy with the incoming players, but do feel we're weaker thsn the start of the window. Shipping out 4 players but only bringing in 2 doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence going into the business end of the season. 

Sorry, and there are times that he has been dogshit, but if you believe that Dele Alli didn't 'make an effort' or 'didn't put a shift in' then you clearly haven't been watching his games. 

One of the hardest workers, runners and pressers in the team time and time again.

Not going to sit and wax lyrical about him, Air Raid has done that pretty well, but I'm gutted it has gone this way. I hope that he turns it around, as he's a brilliant talent.

Never underestimate how much Poch knackered that team. 

• Paid Members

Dele Alli peaked very early, started to believe his own hype, got shirty in an interview because Roy Keane said he'd become a lazy bastard, and then promptly became a lazy bastard. The guy's done until he's in his early thirties and he has a Neil Redfearn-esque stormer of a season with a newly promoted team. I don't think there's much of a player left there.