The PFL Thread 💰

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The Euro's are putting pretty much everything else on hold for me, so there's not any chance of me seeing this, but PFL have some interesting looking cards this season. They are coming along nicely, glad to see another promotion putting down a solid footing. I thought they would be done after one season. 

• Paid Members

Yeh it no doubt suffers from the nature of the overall schedule. If we got PFL live on Thursday Evenings at 7pm id probably tune in most weeks, but due to the early morning start you cant do that, then by the time you finish work on Fridays, its the weekend, then it just gets lost. 

I spoke about in the 'Other MMA' thread but back when id watch Shark Fights and the WFA etc. those shows would fall on weekends when literally nothing else notable was happening. You'd be lucky if there 2 UFC's a month and you craved more MMA, especially when it included notable names. Like with Pro Wrestling we are absolutely spoilt for choice these days. I liked the simpler times better.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I spoke about in the 'Other MMA' thread but back when id watch Shark Fights and the WFA etc. those shows would fall on weekends when literally nothing else notable was happening. You'd be lucky if there 2 UFC's a month and you craved more MMA, especially when it included notable names. Like with Pro Wrestling we are absolutely spoilt for choice these days. I liked the simpler times better.

Very much this with me. There’s never been more MMA content readily available to us than it is now. If we’d had so many ways to watch back in 2005-10ish I’d have almost never left the house. Imagine the equivalent back then of our BT/Fight Pass setup covering all the UFC, BBC iPlayer giving us regular live coverage of the second biggest American promotion (Bellator now, would’ve been Strikeforce back then), easy ways to track down the Japanese stuff through YouTube or other streams. I’d have been watching almost everything at that time. I tried to anyway but we were limited to Bravo’s hit and miss delayed coverage of UFC and later Strikeforce, WEC never really got on telly here while it was still going, and DREAM got nothing so forget your Shark Fights types. It was a struggle tracking down a lot of stuff and I’m sure most of us had to rely on getting DVD rips of shows weeks and sometimes months later. It’s so much better now it’s ridiculous. Fight Pass has almost everything, Bellator being on iPlayer now is class, ONE is easy to catch live because they stream most shows live on YouTube, plus they’re on Box Nation quite a bit.It’s really only the Japanese shows that aren’t as easy to come by, but the scene over there isn’t anywhere near what it was in the days of Pride and DREAM anyway (sadly) so it doesn’t really feel like we’re missing much.

The thing now as well though is we’re all older, some of us have kids, got married, have more responsibilities, work more, have a mortgage etc. At the minute I just about keep up with UFC and Boxing, I try to keep on top of Bellator and ONE and I dip in and out of Cage Warriors when I can. There’s no way I could watch all of them regularly though. And I don’t really have the desire to now like I would’ve 10-15 years ago. Even if I had the time, I wouldn’t want to spend it watching even more fights on top of that lot. My son turns 3 in a few weeks, my daughter is 8 in November (fucking 8 already!) and I kind of want to see them grow up. My daughter is expressing interest in taking Karate classes now so I think she might’ve inherited the combat sports obsession gene from me and her aunt. Fuck is she being fed to a 50 year old Amanda Nunes in the future though. 

When you have followed boxing and MMA for the better half of your life, it's very easy to become jaded with both. I therefore try and limit my combat sports viewing to two card per week so that I don't get sick of either. 

Sometimes I have to make an exception. For example, last weekend there was a major UFC show, a Bellator card headlined by a fighter that I fancy the arse off, a Matchroom card on Sky, a Top Rank card also on Sky, and a Rizin show. I ended up watching all of them all, with the exception of the Rizin card and the prelims of the the UFC show. 

The schedule is usually that bloated that the likes of the PFL, ACA, One, Queensberry Promotions, etc never get a look in sadly. Either they clash with other combat shows happening, or I want to have a weekend off from watching half-naked men and women fighting one another. 

All in all, I probably spend more time on combat sports than ever. In addition to my viewing habits, I post on this forum as much as ever, read more articles/analysis than I used to, watch more instructional videos than ever, etc. It's hard to say if I enjoy combat sports as much these days, but I obviously still must get something out of it if I am prepared to spend so much time on it. 

• Paid Members
On 6/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, jimufctna24 said:

When you have followed boxing and MMA for the better half of your life, it's very easy to become jaded with both. I therefore try and limit my combat sports viewing to two card per week so that I don't get sick of either. 

Thats where i'm at. I scan the schedule and just cherry pick what i really like the look then prioritise that. For example, this week im looking at the Tank/Barrios PPV and BKFC 18. Im taking BKFC over the UFC at this point cause im close to done with those Apex shows, they just feel flat and soulless to me and i miss the audience, its really harming the experience as a viewer for me, especially when pretty much every other show has crowds back. Plus, its always good to mix it up.

Outside of that i skim things and do highlights. There was a time when id watch shows front to back with no exceptions but thats just impossible now, plus when you no invested interest in most of a card it can be a slog. 

I post lots of shit on here most people dont care for, but its kind of my way of staying on top of it all. Even if i aint watching, i try to follow the combat sports sphere as a whole.

That said, the PFL...

Tibau beat Rory MacDonald 😳

Not seen it, but im seeing things that it was one of the worst decisions in recent memory. Rare to see the underdog/less popular guy get given a gift on the cards. But as is the nature of the format, MacDonald advances to the playoff's, Tibau is out 😄

Edited by Egg Shen

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

File under, 'I probably wont end up watching it', but the PFL returns with its playoffs this Friday. I do wanna see that main event though.

Main card is the playoffs, the prelims just seem to be random fights between people on the roster.

Like i said previously, Rory MacDonald lost to Gleison Tibau but advanced due to the scoring system, so Rory is in a Semi-Final fight, Tibau slums it on the prelims, odd but thats how it goes.

20210811_121544.thumb.jpg.9571bced9f9dc395342e36646ed89638.jpg

Rory MacDonald/Ray Cooper III is probably the best fight the PFL has ever put on. The biggest name in the promotion against the guy whos become the face of the promotion as a home grown guy. It should be good, if Rory is finished as a fighter he may get smashed.

oh and Clay Collard marches on!

20210811_122142.thumb.jpg.b6500d7bc9bbabc05c190114a4c0e638.jpg

20210811_122151.thumb.jpg.d62e46f9f68a93f2ed763eb1ac217288.jpg

Former Bellator mainstay Brett Cooper on the prelims too! Haven't seen Cooper fight in years!

Will always remember Brett Cooper for being KO'd by Doug Marshall in Bellator, in Bisping/Henderson style. Had to Wiki Doug Marshall too, as he was one of my favs for a few years, was always involved in great fights. He just fell completley off the radar, must have had a forced retirement or something,

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SBD said:

Keep seeing a lot of positive stuff about PFL not watched any as yet as it seems to be via what looks to be shady site via PPV hopefully someone over here will pick it up

Its a shame a station hasnt picked it up over here, and that PPV platform its on its the shits. The layout is so poor it looks fake.

PFL is worth hunting dowm though if you need some more MMA in your life, the production/presentation is probably second only to the UFC in American MMA.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

20211027_134226.thumb.jpg.a8b0ad2b4b13456e456427e102f230eb.jpgThe PFL Championships are tomorrow night.

some high stakes here. 7 x $1 million prizes for tournament winners.

PFL's concept is ticking over nicely, i think having a bunch of high profile signings lose and get eliminated hasnt helped from a visibility standpoint but it does highlight how good these divisions are.

A few decent looking stand alone fights too including Claressa Shields 2nd MMA fight.

Former Bellator champ Julia Budd debuts, as does South African Dan Madge who turned down re-signing with the UFC to goto the PFL. 

Hopefully i get around to watching this.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰 (PFL Championships - 27th Oct)

Ive not really followed PFL, so whats the catch with it? 7 x $1 million prizes on a show that no one will watch, with fighters nobody knows. I assume all the bigger stars who have been eliminated get a decent downside guarantee as well. Is it being funded by a big company as almost a tax write off, as a model like this must surely be a huge money loser.