The PFL Thread 💰

Egg Shen

Very interesting. Are you going to go to the Cardiff show?

I'm kind of tempted, I didn't really enjoy Bellator London, I didn't like the atmosphere that much and realised I get much more enjoyment watching it from my sofa. However the chance to see the likes of Kayla Harrison, Pettis and Rory live in London is a bit of a pull.

• Paid Members

I'm tempted, it'll depend on the card and the prices.

As its the Playoff's it could literally be the 4 season fights then they'll fill the remainder with UK fighters. Cardiff has the two of the lesser star studded divisions too.

MMA live is a different kind of experience, if you're gonna go you really are better off paying for as good a seats as you can afford. I can definitely see why people prefer to watch it on TV though. Especially as the shows tend to be attended by a high portion of bellend.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

next round of PFL kicks off Friday on Channel 4...

FU6EnvrXwAEG9aP.thumb.jpg.1b4c3c307883edf9f8914cfe7971ca11.jpg

FU6Eo6eWQAUAVx8.thumb.jpg.a07ade2f3afe2e76670370c1461407b0.jpg

Lots to like across the show. 

Schulte/Held and Akmedov/Aukstuolis on the prelims have my attention, and I have an interest in that whole main card. That PFL Lightweight Division is great.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:52 AM, Egg Shen said:

Same as me Zebra, i'm away too. The spoilers gives me an excuse to stay off my phone too so not a bad thing!

Any fights in particular you want to see? @Zebra Kid Mark

I'm looking forward to getting a second look of the PFL regulars like Manfio and Collard. Since PFL launched on C4 I haven't missed a show, before that, I hadn't watched a single show. So seeing the PFL vets in action is new and exciting.

I am also interested to see how Stephens does after his debut loss and Shoeface is on a tear right now so I am excited to see him.

• Paid Members

Manfio is building a solid little resume, successive wins over Pettis, Rabzhadov, Collard and KO'ing Don Madge who everyone was raving about. Surprisingly he's an underdog against Mercier.

Clay Collard is must see TV.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeah, had to shave his hair and beard off to make the weight, he doesn't look great.

Which apparently is a fraction of an ounce.

There are pictures of his feet on the scales and he is not standing on it properly. His feet are off the edge on both sides so a lot of people are saying he's cheated. I personally have a hard time believing that Jez is smart enough for that. More likely he simply doesnt know how to stand properly. 

• Paid Members

Yeh i'd wondered how little difference the hair and bears would make. 

A female fighter on TUF cut her hair to make weight whilst stood at the scale last week and that worked, but I guess we are dealing with way more hair.

Anyway, here's the link on Youtube for tonights show. Starts at 11pm.

• Paid Members

The PFL show was a bit of a mixed bag. If you just tuned in for the main card you probably felt a bit underwhelmed, but the prelim portion was much better. 

The show highlighted the pro's and con's of the whole Play-Off system though. First off I think the PFL does a great job of keeping people upto date during the broadcast, they constantly update the standings and let you know what's happening. It's a bit confusing but they constantly keep you in the loop about the stakes of the fights. The split screens during the fights showing the fighters backstage watching the fights to determine their next move is also pretty cool. Best seen during the Shoeface/Souto fight when Delan Monte needed the fight to go past a certain length to guarantee his spot in the Play-Off's, seeing him celebrate and how much it meant to him when that happened was pretty cool, and makes you realise these guys are fighting for life changing amounts of money.

The downside of the system i guess is it can make fighters fight safe. Aubin-Mercier and Manfio both needed a win of any kind to move through and they fought incredibly safe, both seemed intent on trying to eek out a points win. Shoeface also just needed to win because he got an early finish in his first fight so he didn't take any unnecessary risks  in his fight. On the flip you had guys like Delan Monte who needed points fighting like he needed them. It goes both ways.

Still, Jeremy Stephens scraped a victory against Myles Price but won't progress. Stephens is undersized at 155.

Josh Silveria seems a bit of a handful at 205 too, keep an eye on him.

Then, Clay Collard fought like a bit of an idiot in the main event and had a Play-Off spot nicked off him by Alex Martinez. Collard fought like someone who clearly thought he was a level above Martinez, and before he realised he wasn't he'd fallen behind. 

Edited by Egg Shen

10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The PFL show was a bit of a mixed bag. If you just tuned in for the main card you probably felt a bit underwhelmed, but the prelim portion was much better. 

That was me. I was massively underwhelmed by it. I hit fast forward during the Shoeface fight quite a lot and it still looked slow and boring. 

Your write up is pretty spot on, not much more to add to it. Shame Clay lost out as he's a PFL staple.