The PFL Thread 💰 (March 7th - Doumbe vs. Chamsoudinov)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

PFL 5 tomorrow. This card has taken a lot of hits, a few people have been drafted in last minute. Guess it's another flaw of the format.

FVylAt0XwAEKnFe.jpg.577338d7868b5667e9398e1b071eeae1.jpg

FVylAt1WYAEBwOM.jpg.99d59ec594f3c965fe463dbcf4a13529.jpg

The non-pictured fighters are the fighters being brought in. 2 UFC vets in the Heavyweight division though in Juan Adams and Maurice Greene. These guys are gonna come in guns blazing because if they can win early they can snatch Play-Off's sports depsite never being in the initial bracket.

Brendan Loughnane has a late replacement coming in on a 2 fight skid. Loughnane probably needs a finish to guarantee a spot in the next round though. It's all to play for at Lightweight.

Petts/Ray is a decent little fight too. Stevie Ray needs to finish Pettis to go through so he has nothing to lose, could make for an exciting scrap.

I'll put the youtube link it when it pops up.

• Paid Members

I keep meaning to start following PFL now it’s readily available but I rarely get around to it and end up just checking certain fights days after the fact. The way they do the tournaments isn’t for everyone but I like that they’re trying something different. They remind me of IFL years ago in that way.

This looks solid as well. Pettis vs Ray is one of those fights that would’ve probably been awesome 5 or 6 years ago but it’ll do now. Brendan Loughnane is worth a watch. One of the better UK fighters not under UFC lock and key. Bruno Cappelozza is a guy who’s caught my attention even without me following the promotion properly. His knockouts are regularly all over social media the day after PFL shows. Just a tornado of haymakers. The way he swarms reminds me of early Junior Dos Santos. Oh and Kyle Bochniak was in the UFC a few years ago. Didn’t have a great run (he went 2-5 overall) but the standout memory I have of him was the fight against Zabit where he fought like an absolute lunatic.

image.gif.9bd31ad39713bed35cc8f8819a55860c.gif

• Paid Members

The PFL have a couple of monsters up at heavyweight, the gap is levels is pretty big between the field so guys are getting sent to hell in there.

Brendan Loughnane is due in the cage at the UK friendly time of 10.30pm-ish tonight.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, Anthony Pettis got himself caught in some shit on Friday night:

There were upsets all over this card. Crazy stuff.

Quick note on the piped in crowd noise at the PFL shows. I actually quite like it, it's subtle enough that it isn't obvious, but it definitely adds to the feel of the show.

• Paid Members

tonights show...

FWlb80oXkAMA0eL.thumb.jpg.24a509f7afe40920e4f6eb2bd8b10bdb.jpg

I'll sack off that prelim portion and watch the main card as a lead in to the UFC prelims tomorrow night. Some PFL big hitters in the those top 3 fights. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

the Women's Featherweight division continues to be uncompetitive, not quite sure how long the PFL can keep people interested in this.

If anyone wants to watch a fight that highlights how the new scoring system in MMA works, watch the MacDonald/Sy fight. The fight was mostly controlled by MacDonald, he pressed Sy against the cage for most of the fight whilst unsuccessfully attempted to score takedowns and did close to little damage. Whenever Sy had any space he would score shots and maximise his moment. You may think MacDonald had done enough with his control, but damage outweighs it and Sy rightfully took a decision. You can't just hold someone and expect to win anymore.

Ray Cooper finally showed what he can as well, he walked through Brett Cooper but missed out on the playoffs.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Playoff's start tomorrow night on Channel 4/Youtube:

Untitled.png.9675c5369edcd33d566713bb5f3d109c.png

I do like that the PFL have set the show up in 3 sections. You have the 4 Playoff's,  Season qualifiers, then lower tier Challenger Series qualifiers. I quite like that, it adds stakes for each fight on the night too. 

Anthony Pettis/Stevie Ray 2 is the main event. Just 5 weeks since Ray submitted Pettis to snatch a place in the Playoff's. Pretty unique situation, and i'm up for it. I can't see Ray pulling it off again, as Pettis was winning the fight before getting caught with a freaky submission last time but you never know.

All those Playoff's have my attention. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think I am @Zebra Kid Mark my mate has press passes so im planning on going with him, should have good seats too. Ive seen they are giving tickets away, so it might be worth scouting around for some if you fancy a freebie.

Show lost its main event too, but thankfully they had an alternate to step in against Rory.

IMG-20220811-WA0035.jpg.378715596f92e3b319830a3815861554.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's a great signing for the PFL. After attending the PFL on Saturday (i'll stick up a post about it later) and listening to Pete Murray talk about the promotions plans on the recent MMA Hour recently, i'm all on it, really feels like it's picking up steam and people are getting behind the concept.