The PFL Thread 💰

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The first show for me was a home run, really good stuff.

Clay Collard and Jeremy Stephens had  a fight of the year contender, just an epic slugest. Not sure what Collard is made of, but Stephens hit him with everything. Collard was the rightful winner though, he seemed to hurt Stephens to the body several times. Great fight.

Outside of Shoeface, not many higher profile ex-UFC fighters come into the PFL and have much success, Don Madge being the latest, he got KO'd despite being in front at the time of the KO. Its a tough place to make the million bucks. Shoeface however just breezed through his opponent like it was nothing.

Schulte/Mercier good stuff too. Mercier got the nod but Schulte solidified himself as a must see for me 

A couple of cracking prelims too, the best being Martinez/Ray. Tough loss for Ray, but it was a quality fight.

oh, and who put 20p in Omari Akhmedov?...

The lightweight division in particular has some potential pairings I really want to see.

Stephens, Schulte, Pettis, Collard. Give me any combo of the 4.

Tell you what, I liked the points system too. Its gimmicky but the promotion do a great job of letting you know how they are earned and how things stand. Some of the stats they hit you with are ridiculous though.

Excellent stuff, this is my Thursday evenings sorted.

• Paid Members
On 4/20/2022 at 12:11 PM, Carbomb said:

Intrigued by Powell - undefeated professionally, and only one defeat in the amateurs, his debut. Looking forward to seeing how he does.

He's definitely got something about him. 205lb and Heavyweights in the UK is a bit of an issue, Cage Warriors don't feature them, and BAMMA's gone so there's not really an obvious route for these guys to get to the big shows. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰
  • Paid Members

Second show of the season is tonight, Featherweights & Heavyweights. 

20220428_065807.thumb.jpg.76470ef5db6659734aa1469b12043e83.jpg

20220428_065811.thumb.jpg.7defd18d980e0cecd15ae408b3af9c58.jpg

Again, that main card is looking the business but i may check out the whole thing.

* Good to see Loughnane back. He's done a great job of making hinself visible in the MMA world. Id argue hes the best known UK MMA fighter outside of the the UFC and Bellator. 

* The other Brit, Stuart Austin has a submission win over Tom Aspinall. MMA twitter have basically declared this one human sacrifice though for the current Heavyweight Champ, Bruno Cappelozza.

* Lance Palmer returns. Palmer is probably the best example of a fighter who turned down the big leagues to carve out himself a lucrative career in the PFL.

* Im generally interested in checking out the Heavyweights though, Israeli Adam Keresh is the mystery man, he's just 5-0 over a career that started 6 years ago. 5 stoppages, including one over Baby Fedor Sidelnikov. Always intrigued by guys like that.

🍿

Edited by Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰 (Kayla Harrison returns! May 7th)
  • Paid Members

talking to myself here, and I didnt even get around to seeing show 2 but PFL 3 this Friday is bringing out the big guns, and id imagine the return of Kayla Harrison will garner some attention.

20220503_151928.thumb.jpg.101defffa0670ea2f9416e5f916a25d6.jpg

20220503_151932.thumb.jpg.68be9cf9f5cc5d1dbba665524f82dae4.jpg

Not arsed about that undercard so much but the main card is gonna be a solid couple of hours.

I know nothing about Kayla Harrisons opponent but this is likely a squash and all about how long this last. Julia Budd is on the undercard and thats probably the only interesting fight the PFL have for Harrison so hopefully she wins and they will line up in the Play-Off's.

Pettis and MacDonald have have disastrous starts in the PFL. 0-2 and 1-2. You do wonder how much they realy want it at this stage and if they are just picking up a cheque. Wanna see what they have left.

Your posts don't go unnoticed, they help keep me updated.

I have watched both shows so far (main card only).

My two main criticisms are 

1) The crowd is so small and so quiet the atmosphere of a 750 seater Apex is better.

2) The ex champions/winners of the previous season are on the 2nd fight of the main show. Reigning champ Shoeface was curtain jerking to an old Jeremy Stephens who's on a run of losses. I know the Stephens fight was a lot better in the end but what message does it convey that your current champ is under carding to a guy released by the UFC 6 weeks ago. It doesn't make the tournament seem prestigious to me. The winner doesn't become a star. They just become another entrant a year later.

I like the production and all of the different stats they show.

• Paid Members

i honestly the atmosphere on show 1 was better than the Apex. During the show i even started to think they were piping in crowd sound because i couldn't see the actual audience. It wasnt until later in the show that i realised the audience is all sat on one side away from the hard cam as its a studio set up.

Fully agree with the second point. It is a weird setup. As a standalone concept I like it but nothing sets the Champions apart on the show. I suppose you just have to watch and invest in at as a season that starts and ends rather than an ongoing thing. They are meant to be doing a PPV series this year so maybe the tournaments will end up standing alone alongside standard type shows and they'll crown regular Champions? (kind of like Bellator used to do) who knows?

• Paid Members

Gleison Tibau’s still going? 😮

I keep meaning to watch these shows but never get around to it. I caught the show with Collard vs Stephens and Shoeface’s fight the other week and really enjoyed it but I can’t see me following it religiously. I really like the presentation and look of their shows though. It’s a promotion I know I’d have been balls deep into about 10 years ago when I had more free time. 

• Paid Members

Yeah i'll dip and out depending on the card but im always following it. Sometimes a 10 minutes youtube highlight package is all you need.

Its absolutely crazy the amount of MMA going on though. I checked the Fight Pass schedule this weekend early and they have these shows up to stream live over Friday and Saturday:

Titan FC, LFA, Unified MMA, Eternal, FAC, Fight Club Rush and CES MMA. 

Add in shows from Bellator, PFL and One. Then there's a UFC PPV on Saturday. How is any promotion meant to make any kind of dent in the market and get viewership. Just bonkers.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Gleison Tibau’s still going? 😮

Tibau never die! He got that disputed win over Rory MacDonald last year remember? Man's going strong.

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰

Enjoyed that card. 

I don't recall seeing Kayla Harrison fight before this card, and I thought the little promo packages they had on her throughout the show did a good job of building up some excitement to see her. It's a shame she didn't perform as expected really, but I'm still keen to see her again. 

A really good showing from Macdonald and Pettis. Macdonald seems back focused, the last I remember seeing of him he had a weird post fight interview talking about whether he still wanted to do this, but he looked on top form. 

I don't know where they're located but you'd have thought they'd have pulled in a better crowd considering the name value on the card. That really makes a difference for me, I love a good crowd, makes it much more enjoyable. 

• Paid Members

I watched the main card, felt very much like an 'order is restored' type card.

Both Pettis and MacDonald won confortably taking very little damage, that's what you expect them to do at this stage of the tournament.

Something was up with Ray Cooper. Massively missed weight and looked off all night. Strange one.

Kayla dominated but didn't blow me away. Still, she got through with no issue.

Julia Budd lost on the undercard too in an upset, so don't be surprised if we see Kayla/Budd in the next lot of matches because I think they like to match up a winner/loser.