ICONS

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Couldn’t spot a thread about it, and as it’s a new series which is going to unearth some good shit.

I’ve just finished episode 1, Yokozuna. He’s in my top 3 wrestling characters of all time, so I was absolutely buzzing to watch this. A solid 1 hour 20 too, so a good feature documentary. It didn’t really go over anything new, maybe a few additional details to stories that have been shared previously, but the way his family told his story was heartwarming and fresh. Some great behind the scenes shots and some previously unreleased footage. I knew he was a hip hop head, and it was really cool to hear that he scribbled lyrics backstage. God I’d love to see some of those notes.

Overall, a pretty solid documentary. No groundbreaking info (can’t really be helped, it is what it is) but lots of nice, unseen visuals, and great to see good quality, meaningful talking heads. Defo worth a watch, and I’m looking forward to the remaining episodes. It’s like something to cleanse the palate after feeling dirty from Dark Side Of The Ring.

5F0C6D86-D252-40D2-B4CD-12445CC695DB.jpeg

• Paid Members

I saw a clip on Reddit of how they came up with the Yokozuna gimmick and how happy his family were that he wasn't just another Samoan Savage gimmick. That clip of Mr Fuji doing his hair was canny.

• Paid Members

I'm not to shocked they didnt reveal that Rodders just a run of the mill overweight chap, until (during a non-steroid era) they told him to become Homer Simpson on benefits and put on all that weight to fit the sumo gimmick. It's mad seeing them all like "he just kept shoving the pasties down" when that's what they wanted. He was just daft enough to do it.

I really enjoyed that. Interesting that even Hulk acknowledged, with hindsight, that him winning the belt at WM9 was a bad call. Romans reaction to it was great too. 
My heart broke when they had to wheel out a forklift to get Yoko to the back when he got injured. Not sure if it hits home as a bigger person myself but that absolutely broke my heart. Poor bastard, a fucking forklift truck. 

• Moderators

Yokozuna wasn't a wrestling character as the opening post said, he was a bloody wrestler. And that's not acting like Jim Cornette. But mind you, while the off topic is strongest its probably been, the forum in on topic at its weakest over the past couple years. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Is this a network thing?

It is Chris yeah, they have several episodes lined up, all focusing different people. Really looking forward to the Luger one too. 

Spoiler

The Yoko one didn’t feature the USS Intrepid body slam, so it’ll probs be featured on the Lex episode at a guess.

042087CB-5E4E-48AE-B402-8FFE3BA888E4.jpeg

10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I'm not to shocked they didnt reveal that Rodders just a run of the mill overweight chap, until (during a non-steroid era) they told him to become Homer Simpson on benefits and put on all that weight to fit the sumo gimmick. It's mad seeing them all like "he just kept shoving the pasties down" when that's what they wanted. He was just daft enough to do it.

It wouldn't surprise me if WWE were like 'Hey Rodney, we need a SUMO here, pal...wanna maybe put on 50lbs?' but everyone in the documentary talks about how much he loved to eat and you can see him getting progressively bigger over the years anyway, before he went to WWE. 

It just looked like his eating got out of control once he became a bigger star and was on the road more. 

I really liked the documentary anyway. It told a great story and had some cracking behind-the-scenes footage. Looking forward to the rest of the series. 

Also struck me how much of an impact Yoko had in such a short space of time. He's winning the Rumble and becoming champion within months of debuting, then he holds the best for a year and after that he's gone within a couple of years after his weight balloons. 

Is his last WWE match the '96 Survivor Series? He managed to fit so much in during four off and on years. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

Is his last WWE match the '96 Survivor Series? He managed to fit so much in during four off and on years. 

Yeah it was, and almost exactly 3 years until he was on that awful Heroes Of Wrestling show in Oct 99. He was skirting between 750lbs-800lbs at that point, then just under 600lbs when he died. Not sure if the loss of weight was a real conscious effort or through illness though.

Enjoyed the Yoko episode, got a proper lump at the end when they were talking about Yoko being on tour here right at the end, one cos it doesn't feel like 20 years since I witnessed live what would be his final match and 2 for seeing Samu and Afa getting visibly choked up talking about their last conversation with him