Favourite promo videos

garynysmon

• Paid Members

We all know that a great promo video does so much to hype a big match and I'm sure we all have our favourites.

The original music and voiceover has been sadly dubbed over on modern releases and the Network, but I've always had a place in my heart for the WM12 Shawn/Bret build-up. Thankfully this is the original version.

Although far from being my favourite match ever, the lead up to the show remains one of my favourite memories of the new generation era, despite Vince McMahon doing everything he could to suck off HBK on commentary in the weeks leading up to it.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I feel like this is an obvious one but is absolutely fantastic. Probably more a Stone Cold promo than a Austin vs Hart promo but it encapsulated what he was/became superbly. He looks fucking boss throughout. 

My personal favourite as much due to it reminding me of the build and influenced by the match being in my top 3 ever.

I used this specifically because it convinced my flatmate who was hadn't watched since 2000 to skip going to bed and watch. 

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqm380

the promo for this match. Sunday Night Heat just started on Channel 4. It was the day of, or the week before the Rumble. I hadn’t watched any WWF content in almost 4 years. But it came on TV and I thought I’d give it a watch. This promo was played and I was hooked instantly. I remembered the Jim Ross / Mankind interviews just before I stopped watching and those put me off wrestling for a while. But to see this man now, seeing this more extreme version of wrestling and all these new gimmicks, I needed to watch more. I stayed up and watched the Rumble live, the first time I’d ever watched a live PPV and I’ve watched wrestling in one way or another ever since.

E93F6D1E-24CF-4340-85AE-5E68CB0F0030.jpeg

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqm380

the promo for this match. Sunday Night Heat just started on Channel 4. It was the day of, or the week before the Rumble. I hadn’t watched any WWF content in almost 4 years. But it came on TV and I thought I’d give it a watch. This promo was played and I was hooked instantly. I remembered the Jim Ross / Mankind interviews just before I stopped watching and those put me off wrestling for a while. But to see this man now, seeing this more extreme version of wrestling and all these new gimmicks, I needed to watch more. I stayed up and watched the Rumble live, the first time I’d ever watched a live PPV and I’ve watched wrestling in one way or another ever since.

I'll never be able to scroll past that video without watching it again. Honestly - I think Mick Foley ripping his shirt open like Superman to reveal the Cactus Jack T-shirt with Hunter selling it like he's seen a ghost is my all-time favourite moment in wrestling.

For a business where everything is endlessly rehashed and ripped off, I don't feel like there's anywhere near enough stuff taking inspiration from WWE in the year 2000.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, ElCece said:

feel like this is an obvious one but is absolutely fantastic. Probably more a Stone Cold promo than a Austin vs Hart promo but it encapsulated what he was/became superbly. He looks fucking boss throughout. 

This is the best in my opinion, It perfectly sums up so much. On the grand scale the WWF of old is being usurped, the flamboyant and colorful characters of Michaels and Hart are being taken over by a gritty black and white with this grounded and viscous character, he "ain't no sexy boy & he don't dance son". 

In the feud it's perfect for Austin, he is frustrated and is looking to take  "7 years of frustration and being pissed off" out on Bret who had the respect and position he feels should be his but chose to walk away from it. 

For Bret it sums up his need for redemption without saying a word, he was beaten by Shawn and walked away. If he still is the best there is, was and ever will be he needs to prove it because an upstart in Austin is saying he can't live up to that any more and is backing it up with his 96 record. 

I'd go with @Hannibal Scorch in a way though, that mankind to cactus smackdown promo is the best straight promo. Foley had been pissing about with Al Snow and Val Venis in late 99 and word was out he was hanging them up because his knees were fucked. It showed foley was serious, cactus still had a rep as a character away from the mankind character, and HHHs superb selling of it shows that. He could have sandbaged it, after all he's just taken off his shirt, but he sold the symbolic nature of it. Both made it clear the foley people fell in love with for being a big bumping, hard working head case was back in the house and he was going all guns blazing for a HHH who was acting the right shite bag so well you would stump up for the rumble to see Cactus try something to get him. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Duke said:

Timing was awful though. This could have presented him as the big deal but it preceded a match where he played second fiddle to the feud between challenger and the “host” and years later nobody remembers that he went on last at a Mania and won.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Timing was awful though. This could have presented him as the big deal but it preceded a match where he played second fiddle to the feud between challenger and the “host” and years later nobody remembers that he went on last at a Mania and won.

Oh absolutely. It shouldve been his victory celebration when he won the title. Its still the biggest deal the Miz has ever been.