Boxing: Dubois vs. Joyce (28th November) 🥊🇬🇧

Egg Shen

Who Wins  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

think theres a chance the winner moves into the mandatory position with the WBO. 

Dubois is right there already behind Usyk in the number 2 position, so if Joshua ends up vacating, it should be Usyk vs the winner of this fight for the vacant title. Well in theory it should be, but never know for sure with some of these organisations.

• Paid Members

Well, dont think many people saw that coming. Joyce jabbed the head off of Dubois until he was forced into submission. Fantastic performance from Joyce but so simple, he just threw that odd looking jab all night, barely threw a right hand or any other punch, just jab after jab. The guys got some chin too.

Big setback for Dubois. He looked alright himself but you could see major distress signals in that corner from like round 4 onwards, they sensed what was happening. Never good to go out like that either, Dubois was clearly in a lot of pain but boxing fans are unforgiving, hopefully he can rebound.

Unbelievably one judge had Dubois 8-1 up at the time of the stoppage😮

Edited by Egg Shen

Very impressive performance from JJJ, he was never really troubled either. He reminds me a bit of Carl Froch but at heavyweight, he doesn't look the best but has a chin of stone and underrated boxing skills but because of his speed and style people under estimate him. 

On that performance i would fancy him against Whyte, Chisora and Parker.  

It will be an interesting fight against Usyk, especially after losing in the amateurs to him.

The Heavyweight division is great at the moment.

DDD will definitely come back, hes just turned 23 i think and there only room for improvement, he boxed well but his eye was mashed.

The worst thing about boxing is this bullshit about quitting in the ring. Who cares? What was he meant to do? Fight on, lose, go blind and end his career?

Haye was saying after “he’d never quit” ok, thats fine, but you bottled it against Klitchko and didnt engage at all. Whats worse? Someone easing there way to a points defeat or someone going for it,  getting their eye socket smashed and realising they are not going to win and living to fight another day. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Well, dont think many people saw that coming.

Dubois definitely didn’t once that eye blew up. Gutted for him, to be honest but it was a bit of a masterclass from Joyce really. Didn’t have it all his own way and he had to weather some storms and eat some hard shots but he’s clearly got a rock chin on him. He’s not the flashiest and mightn’t have the devastating KO reel Dubois does but he’s got to be a nightmare to deal with when he gets rolling like this.

Seen a bit of shit aimed at Dubois on social media for ‘quitting’ and it’s not just from fans and the armchair Freddie Roaches either. Saw Matthew Macklin piping up for one.

3-DC43-D16-C9-C7-46-E3-9216-12-A83-F0-BC

CCF0232-A-D609-4064-B1-B8-B524135-FA3-B0

Doubt he’d have said the same if Dubois was a Sky/Matchroom fighter though. I think Dubois living to fight another day was the right move. Read today he had a fractured eye socket. If you’re 23 with the kind of future Dubois could have, why risk possible long term damage at this stage. It’ll be a learning experience for him and, with hindsight, maybe it was too soon for him to face Joyce. But I’m certainly not ready to write him off as a ‘quitter’ after his first loss at 23 years old. I really think Boxing needs to get rid of this attitude of labelling fighters quitters and stuff like this. Last year we saw 3 or 4 fighters die in the ring. A couple of them in their 20s. I know bravado and ‘warrior’ talk is ingrained in Boxing and always will be but you’d think guys like Macklin and Liam Smith (who was backing Macklin up on Twitter) would know better than most how when you’re beat you’re beat. There’s no sense in fighting a battle you can’t win and risk fucking your eye up for good and shortening your career just so people will call you a warrior for 2 days and then forget about it. Just say Dubois had fought on and lasted the distance but suffered permanent damage to the eye, was never the same again and just fizzled out in a few years. I guarantee you’d see the same guys shitting on him for not fighting smarter and shortening his career. Bunch of boneheaded pillocks. 

• Paid Members

Quite surprised at the amount of fighters and ex-fighters getting on Dubois about it. If he was a cocky, young fighter who had talked shit and not backed it up id maybe expect it, but Dubois seems about as model and respectful a young pro as you can get, hes getting absolute pelters though.

11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

What odds the people bemoaning Dubois quitting are the same people saying McGregor shouldn’t have tapped to Diaz or Khabib. 

What odds the people bemoaning Dubois sensibly "tapping" from a fight he could have suffered permanent eye damage from being absolute cunts and epitomising everything wrong with the sport of boxing?

• Paid Members

Its something that hes gonna have to carry around with him from now on unfortunately. He could have done with the corner pulling him out to save face but thats easy said in hindsight.

The reaction to the fight has been strange. Before the fact it was declared one of the best pieces of matchmaking in the UK's in years, and something that should happen a lot more often. Now theres a backlash saying it was a huge mistake, people ripping Warren and Dubois' team for stepping him up too quickly. Cant win in boxing can you?

• Paid Members

Yeah everyone seems to be singing the same tune of Dubois not being ready, Joyce having fought the better opposition, people getting carried away with the Dubois hype etc. It’s all probably true to some extent but I don’t recall any of these people saying anything of the sort pre-fight. It’s all well and good being the Monday morning genius but before Saturday night this looked like a great fight and we only know it was too early for Dubois because the fight happened. Isn’t that why fights get made, to answer these questions? And even then, it wasn’t like Joyce just schooled him all night. Dubois certainly had his moments and round for round it was a close fight up until the finish. Joyce was just equipped to soak up the shots and give it back. 

If Dubois had sparked Joyce we’d be hearing the same people (Johnny Nelson, Spencer Fearon etc) slagging Joyce off for whatever he did wrong. Boxing pundits especially seem to love harping on what the loser did wrong more than what the winner did right. It’s like they were all just waiting for Dubois to lose so they could put the boot in. I understand Joyce and Sam Jones and co having a bit of a gloat, totally. But the pleasure it seems a lot of Boxing figures are taking in labelling a 23 year old a quitter and writing him off is bollocks. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It's also potentially really fucking damaging. Imagine a young guy like Dubois, suffering his first defeat and all the psychological backlash that involves, getting piled on with a bunch of shite about him quitting? If it really gets to him, he could end up damaging himself by pushing beyond safe limits, taking risks he shouldn't, all to prove a gang of online scrotes wrong. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It’s all probably true to some extent but I don’t recall any of these people saying anything of the sort pre-fight. It’s all well and good being the Monday morning genius but before Saturday night this looked like a great fight and we only know it was too early for Dubois because the fight happened. Isn’t that why fights get made, to answer these questions?

absolutely spot on. 

I do agree with the assessment that Dubois' record up until Saturday was thin and incredibly one sided but it doesnt mean i disagreed with the step up. They rolled the dice, it didnt work, they have to rebuild.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

absolutely spot on. 

I do agree with the assessment that Dubois' record up until Saturday was thin and incredibly one sided but it doesnt mean i disagreed with the step up. They rolled the dice, it didnt work, they have to rebuild.

Absolutely. I would imagine one of the biggest problems matchmaking for a guy like Dubois is that, with so little fight time, there's very little data to tell you when the next step up should be.