Boxing: Dubois vs. Joyce (28th November) 🥊🇬🇧

Egg Shen

Who Wins  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

If it really gets to him, he could end up damaging himself by pushing beyond safe limits, taking risks he shouldn't, all to prove a gang of online scrotes wrong. 

It’s even worse than online scrotes though. A lot of this is coming from other fighters, ex fighters, pundits etc. Names and faces in the sport who can be influential. Matt Macklin, Liam Smith, Johnny Nelson, Eddie Hearn, Spencer Fearon, Peter Fury etc. Haye and Frampton were all over it immediately after the fight. It goes on and on. Their opinions will carry more weight and possibly have a worse effect than fans chatting shite. 

19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

He will have to live with the shame of quitting mid fight, like that other bottler Roberto Duran had to.

That’s one the ‘you MUST go out on your shield’ brigade like to ignore because it doesn’t tally with their narrative. I watched a few interviews earlier and someone (think it was Fearon) was basically saying Dubois is finished now and that “a fighter just can’t come back from quitting like that”. Duran shits all over that theory. He won 3 more titles, had some of the best wins of his career over Davey Moore and Iran Barkley and he went 15 rounds with Marvin Hagler. All after ‘No Mas’. 

Edited by wandshogun09

You know the one thing that people are kinda overlooking? Maybe it wasn't a case of Dubois not being ready, or a quitter, or whatever.

Maybe Joe Joyce is actually quite fucking good? I said before the fight that I'd love to see him face Fury. Why? Because I believe he's possibly the only heavyweight who'd give the champ a decent run for his money.

Wrongly. Clearly to anyone with a fucking brain. 

I know we've all been hearing from the highly qualified group consisting of uneducated fools who have spent their lives being punched in the head, but it was actually quite interesting to read what a surgeon had to say. The same guy who worked twice on Kell Brook's damaged orbital:

"As someone who's fixed a lot of orbits, I'd say that it would be safe to discontinue if there's a suspicion that there's a fracture or risk of visual loss. It definitely could be a career-ending injury."

He also said this, with the very idea of it making me cringe like fuck:

"If the orbit is fractured and the eye moves back, if they receive more blows… it can actually drop down into the sinus. So further damage to the orbit, making the defect even bigger and harder to reconstruct and restore to some sort of function that a professional athlete would require."

It's also worth remembering the last boxer who received a similar injury and didn't "quit." Anthony Ogogo fought on for eight more rounds with eye socket damage and 22 percent vision. 

Now he's retired after nine operations on his eye in three fucking years. Are the dribbling morons talking about quitting and suchlike going to pay his mortgage? Pay for his children's Christmas presents?

Are they fuck. Dubois was completely right to get the fuck out of dodge. At least he has a chance to fight again, and more importantly, earn a good living doing so.

The boxing game is dangerous enough without chat of fighters being called cowards and quitters.

These are the same twats who all come out the woodwork with sombre looks on their faces spouting shite about how boxing is dangerous, and it's all about staying safe when something like the Adonis Stevenson tragedy strikes.

They can all fuck off.

• Paid Members

Its one of those debates that will never go away, from Daniel's point of view he'll probably have regrets and will have just wished he'd have got to the end of the round and had his corner or the doctor pull him out (which was the plan according to Martin Bowers) That's hindsight though and you shouldn't really knock him for making the decision on the night, he was clearly in a lot of pain.

Even if he'd just got up early and said 'i cant see', the ref would have called the doctor and the fight would have got waved and this discussion wouldnt be happening. Suppose experience and ring savvy comes into play though and maybe thats what he was lacking in the heat of the moment. It was willingly taking a knee and staying there that is the issue people have.

It's boxing though, bravery and heart (sometimes stupidity) are widely praised and anything on the contrary will always be questioned. That unfortunately aint ever gonna change.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

It was willingly taking a knee and staying there that is the issue people have.

Yeah, and those people are morons. like I said, they're the first to come out with handwringing platitudes when a fighter takes too much punishment. 

Dubois could very easily have felt something go in his eye after that solid jab, and he was 100 percent correct in not continuing. It's a sport, not a fucking Roman gladiator fight to the death.

• Paid Members

what does suck also, is that Joe Joyce' performance is being overshadowed the Dubois' drama. Joyce cant catch a break.

What next for him though? Usyk/Yoka have a built in story so id like to see either. You have to fancy Joe against a lot of top guys now, hes a tough puzzle to solve.

His rise reminds me of Tyson Fury's. Not in terms of notoriety because Tyson was always a divisive character, but from an in-ring perspective both spent the early parts of their careers as the butt of the joke. Fury got very little respect until he actually won the World Title. People who knew boxing would have good things to say, as they do about Joyce, but to the masses neither dont pass that typical eye-test that seems to validate fighters. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, David said:

It's also worth remembering the last boxer who received a similar injury and didn't "quit." Anthony Ogogo fought on for eight more rounds with eye socket damage and 22 percent vision. 

Now he's retired after nine operations on his eye in three fucking years. 

Ogogo speaking to IFL about the Dubois situation and his own ordeal with eye injuries;

That's a great interview, and one that every fan and ex-fighter brandishing the quitting nonsense around should watch. It's real-life, quality of life altering shit.

We can never make boxing safe enough where such injuries won't occur, but we can work to make it acceptable in the sport for fighters who are injured to admit defeat and live to fight another day.