This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 5/26/2023 at 7:18 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Think BT wins out for me this time. Conlan vs Lopez for me. Okolie’s bored me one time too many for me to have any faith in him not being in a stinker. 

i've got a better feeling about this one, the response to his Boxxer was so bad can't help but feel he has to come in and try be more exciting. He's in with a former sparring partner too so Billam-Smith should have some idea on how to avoid a typical Okolie jab-hold scenario. 

• Paid Members

That was a tremendous fight while it lasted. 4 rounds of mayhem but you almost always have to favour the Mexican in that type of scrap. Whether Lopez could’ve kept that up for 12 rounds, we’ll never know. But that finishing punch was brutal. Timed perfectly and Conlan ducking straight into it would’ve only made it more devastating. 

IMB_NBYfQ8.gif

IMB_xZrMg9.gif

That is a devastating punch, but what was your man thinking there? Ducking down, chin out, zero defence. Come on mate.

Great couple of rounds though. Reminded me of the early to mid 00s welterweight and lightweight fights where it was just non stop action.

Edited by SuperBacon

Brutal knockout by Junto Nakatani last weekend. Won the Super Flyweight title, I think on the Haney/Loma undercard. Hit Moloney so hard, he had blood pissing out of his eye and nose! He's a two weight world champion now. 

• Paid Members

3 World Title fights, 3 underdogs walked as as the Champions.

I'll echo what people said about about Conlan/Lopez. That's the fight I watched live and it was apparent early that Conlan was in the shit. Lopez is a come forward, fearless puncher, fun to watch. 

Had the Wood/Lara fight spoiled but a thumbnail on fucking spotify of all places, I still watched it though and Wood cruised after a dangerous start. Knowing Lara wasn't going to land the killer blow took the tension out of it. Leigh Wood though? blokes come from nowhere hasn't he? Fair play.

Lawrence Okolie though!? fucking hell, what was that. It was an absorbing fight given the occasion and the rowdy crowd supporting Billam-Smith, but as a boxing match, it was awful. Okolie was shocking, genuinely one of the worst title defence performances i've ever seen. I don't know if Okolie is terrified of getting hit or if he's just massively stubborn and won't sway from his style but he was dreadful. He lost in the most Okolie way imaginable, 3 points deducted down on the canvas twice. Billam-Smith must have been knackered at the end of that.

What the fuck is that ? Round 17 of 18 lol. 

Edit - nabbed from the Twitter comments "In Team Combat League competition, a team of 18 people each fight one three-minute round against people on another team, by weight division."

So Hardy got sparked in the 1st round which makes this even funnier.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Rossman said:

Adrien Broner is back next Friday on a Don King card fighting a guy called Bill Hutchinson. Never heard of him.

Guillermo Rigondeaux is on the undercard, fighting someone who hasn't fought in 7 years.

People can't resist the sweet sweet Don King dollar, because that's what they are getting paid. 1 dollar. Between them. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Taylor vs. Lopez - 10th June)
  • Paid Members

Outside of Broner's return there's some quality stuff on this weekend, the big one is over in NYC (and being shown on Sky Sports):

20230409_031158.jpg.9476c51779ca44e72819fda1a43ea1d7.jpg

Josh Taylor's standing and credibility took a big hit post-Caterall, but he's got pretty much the best fight to come back in. Watching these two interract is fun to watch, Lopez is the brash, cocky American, Taylor is the angry as fuck Scot who doesn't stand for any of Lopez' cockiness, great contract and it's making me want to route for Taylor again. I fancy taylor to win, that Caterall fight won't have sat well and he'll on a mission. As for Lopez, I just don't think he's the same guy he was, there's something off about him mentally after that defeat to Kambosos. Taylor by UD.

Then over on DAZN, one of the toughest sells in British Boxing:

Screenshot_20230426_171603_com.instagram.android_edit_4583642395927145.jpg.5540f392b8835c9bf5c45a5afd87cd49.jpg

Sunny Edwards is about as decisive as they come, but i'm glad he's hooked up with Matchroom. If he wins Saturday there's gonna be some big fights made and there may actually be a bit of interest generated for his fights. 

This sneaks in under the radar on DAZN too, Munguia finally in a decent scrap:

20230503_235726.jpg.44ac3122a819ad61098bc3e0ae89bbb4.jpg

Cracking weekend.