This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Nate's only success seemed to come late in rounds, I don't think he was ever close to really hurting Paul though, he just threw so many of those little punches and came forward so fast at times that he would put Paul onto his heels.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Nate's only success seemed to come late in rounds, I don't think he was ever close to really hurting Paul though, he just threw so many of those little punches and came forward so fast at times that he would put Paul onto his heels.

I don't know about that one, honestly there were a couple of times Jake's head was bouncing around the placeΒ 

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing (Joshua vs. Helenius - August 12th)πŸ₯Š
  • Paid Members

Chisora will always have some kind of place as long as he continues to fight. I quite fancy Washington to beat him tonight, Chisora is due a stinker.

Here's the card:

20230812_155401.thumb.jpg.0da30fbb4e2a7a1a633f7a8df67fb85a.jpg

All heavyweights after Hatton. Hopefully it'll be a fun show. Hrgovic/McKean is probably the pick of the bunch.

AJ needs to come and just destroy Helenius. No bullshit, just go in and remind people of what he's capable of.

• Paid Members

Well, AJ got it done. Mixed bag though, don't think i'd ever heard a packed o2 booing AJ but that's what happened. He seemed overly cautious early and until the stoppage it was a pretty even fight. Joshua needed that KO though, that's what most will remember, it'll get shared about and hopefully it's given the fella a shot of confidence.Β 

Β 

the ol' heavyweight undercard was a bit of a disaster though. Chisora/Washington was horrible, Chisora still tries to do what he always does but he's slow and unless someone is going to meet him head on, this is what you get. Lots of people thought Washington deserved to win it, I wasn't really keeping tabs.

Hrgovic/McKean was another fight that just didn't catch fire. The buzz on Hrgovic is all but gone. People thought he was the divisions boogeyman, but he's not been overly impressive last 2 outings.

Johnny Fisher delivered though! Cracking little fight that. Fisher's raw but he goes for it and Harry Armstrong was tough as old boots. That last right hand against the ropes was about a brutal punch that can be landed.

Let's talk about the timing though! Why is a main event starting at 11:20 at night!? absolutely fucking ridiculous. I know promoters try to provide value for money but a fight card needs to be structured better. Just have AJ fight at 10 and put Johnny Fisher on after, or utilise the old floating fight, if an arena empites out after the main event what difference does it make? A main event should never start after 10pm.

Edited by Egg Shen

I watched the 10 minutes highlights on YouTube and that almost put me to sleep. One punch tap, one punch tap. No combinations from Joshua, until the knockout shot. Joshua still has the power but he's got no aggression and too timid incase he gets hit back. He's never going to win another world title, unless someone vacates and he has a mandatory fight against a spud.

Oscar Valdez Vs Emanuel Naverrete across the pond last night. Check that out if you can, Mexican style, if you know what I mean.

• Paid Members

Can’t see AJ lasting any more than 3 rounds with Wilder. He’d have probably always got caught by him whenever they’d have fought but the ways he’s looking these days, I just can’t picture it going any other way. If he fights like he did for the first 6 rounds against Helenius last night, Wilder will have zero respect for him and just bomb him out. If he goes with the tactic of β€˜the best defence is a strong offence’ and comes out aggressive he’s got a punchers chance but most likely coming out on the losing end. Still, it needs to happen. Too much history there for it not to and I think it hurts all their legacies if AJ, Wilder, Usyk and Fury don’t all fight each other at least once.

Agree though that the pacing of British boxing shows is rotten. It’s something we’ve all been saying for years on end now and it never changes. No reason why a main event should be going on that late. Either do what @Egg ShenΒ said and have a strict rule where the main event goes on at 10pm at the absolute latest and, if need be, have some of the undercard fights go on after. Or just start the whole card earlier. If they’d started the undercard an hour/90 minutes earlier this wouldn’t have been an issue and AJ vs Helenius would’ve been in the ring by 9:45/10ish.Β 

• Paid Members

The World Boxing Super Series had it right. They advertised a start time for the main event and said they wanted it to be like a football match kicking off, you just knew if you flicked over at 10pm you'd be seeing the fight starting.

Last night the co-main event is walking after 10pm, and then it's a 10 round plodder. I'm sure the earlier start would make for a much better atmosphere overall as well. Boxxer spoke about starting earlier recently and did tinker with the running order but I think they abandonded that and went back to normal.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

This feels like the next Matchroom drug scandal waiting to happen.

IMG-5454.jpg

God knows what’s oozed out of Conor’s roidy pores into that glass of his poxy Forged Irish Stout he’s forcing on everyone. AJ’s post-fight drug test is gonna blow up the lab and it’ll rightly be blamed on this. Expect 90 minute Eddie Hearn interviews in the coming weeks trying to explain it and Frank Warren and Simon Jordan screaming about β€œB samples” and shit.Β 

Imagine sharing a drink out of the same glass as that guy. No way is he passing a piss test after that, have to delay it.

Joshua didn't look good until the finish. The talk of him knocking Wilder out, show him the first six rounds of this fight and he definitely will go to sleep if nothing else. Joshua is too gun shy, petrified of getting hit and for me is past his best now.Β 

This fight ended pretty much as we all expected really, but like most I don't see him doing that to Wilder. Personally, I think Joshua is just going through the motions at this point. I know he's talking a good game, but he just seems like someone who not only doesn't really believe deep down that he can still reach previous heights, but I'm not all that sure he wants it.

He seems like a guy who just wants to be left the fuck alone to enjoy the rest of his life.