This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

I don't see Paul stopping Diaz definitively. But I 100% expect the fight to get stopped when Diaz gets cut up, which will prompt him to moan like fuck about it being a bad stoppage.

Nate will 100% get out of this with some kind of get out of jail free card, not a doubt in my mind.

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Nate will 100% get out of this with some kind of get out of jail free card, not a doubt in my mind.

Nate could walk into a perfect right hook, be out for a few minutes and still wake up with some bollocks excuse. 

We are probably hitting the end of the line with the Diaz brothers though. I say that but fully expect one or both to be doing bare knuckle shit sooner or later.

• Paid Members
On 8/1/2023 at 6:03 PM, Egg Shen said:

well, I did think this should probably go in the Shit Boxing thread, but ultimately it's a pro fight, and there's pro fight's on I'm favouring Paul because of the size difference and partially because i'm unsure how Diaz' punching power translates the boxing. I could genuinely see Diaz spend alot of this covered by daring Paul to try to hurt him whilst also dicking about a bit. It could be a bit of a farce, but i'm sure it'll be entertaining. 

My pre-fight thoughts are basically my post-fight thoughts and i don't wanna type it again.

Edit* oh, and this...

20230806_225107.thumb.jpg.00f29466e655ce62932e2e40a148716f.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

I honestly thought Diaz was gonna get stopped in the 1st, so fair play to him for coming back from that onslaught. He never really troubled Paul during the fight, though, even if he did display how tough he is.

I know he gets a lot of shit, but I actually think Jake Paul is improving with every fight. You see calls for him to man up and face a ranked boxer and so on, but the dude is only eight fights deep into his career.

He's in a weird situation, because he's such a big name that he now has to keep fighting "names" in order to pull in the fans, but he's probably at the stage now where old MMA fighters and so forth aren't really going to be able to provide a challenge. 

He's needing guys with similar records to himself, and unfortunately, they won't draw money unless they get creative with the marketing. Create a kind of Rocky type scenario where it's seen as an up & coming actual boxer looking to get his big break and so on.

Decent fight though. I enjoyed it for what it was. And that co-main was mental. Heather Hardy really had no business still being in there beyond the fifth or sixth round.

• Paid Members

The problem with fighting the faded MMA names is, where does he go next? He's gone Asken to Woodley to Silva to Diaz. The only logical next step is Conor McGregor, anyone else is going to be a downgrade from a marketing standpoint, unless they do roll out Nick Diaz, which I really hope doesn't happen. I think he's likely to go down the Tommy Fury-rematch/KSI route next.

The actual show Saturday was really good. There were no other 'influencer boxers' on the card yet that arena was full and loud from the first fight on the main card. Made for an exciting night. I've seen so many boxing shows where top levels boxers fight to absolute crickets on an undercard, here the crowd were reacting to all the action. Great to see/hear, I watched the whole thing.

Echo @David with reagrds to Heather Hardy, she got absolutely battered but it turned into a pretty compelling one sided beating in the end. The post-fight was nice too. Hardy has to retire now, I don't think i've ever seen her in a fight Boxing or MMA where she hasn't taken a horrendous amount of damage.

Chris Avila bullied Jeremy Stephens around the ring too. Just another great example of how fighters with big punching power in MMA don't necessarily translate that same power into the boxing ring.

oh and if there was ever a series of tweets to endear Jake Paul to the UKFF, here they are...

F26g-qZXwAAOS6g.jpg.720fc301fbae6fa8cdc1982db2e7affe.jpg

• Paid Members

Jake Paul is the less irritating of the Paul Bros., to be fair - got more time for him because of his regular jabs at Plastic Caesar about fighter pay. 

I wouldn't watch it (I haven't watched any except a few clips), but I'd like for him to face Lawler next, get him that payday.

• Paid Members

Whilst i'd like to see Lawler leave it be as he had one of the great sendoff's I don't think anyone could begrudge a fighter for taking that kind of pay day. It's still a step backwards for Jake Paul in terms of stature though, so I don't see it happening.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Whilst i'd like to see Lawler leave it be as he had one of the great sendoff's I don't think anyone could begrudge a fighter for taking that kind of pay day. It's still a step backwards for Jake Paul in terms of stature though, so I don't see it happening.

The payday is the only reason I'd like to see Lawler take that kind of fight. He deserves that kind of money for the MMA career he's had. 

I'm sure they could easily hype it up with Lawler footage - there's no end of insane firefights, highlight reel knockouts, and Lawler grinning through blood like a psycho to make a vignette with.

I'll be hand on heart honest which never really goes well on here most the time....

The fight was so intense and hats off to Jake because that loss to fury clearly made him up his game, that first round was terrifying but it's Nate Diaz and it seemed to wake him up slightly which did throw Jake off at times. 

Nate doing what he's always done inside the cage and playing possom and keeping his damn hands down simply was not the right gameplan inside a boxing ring. 

I will say though I was offended by the judges scorecards as one judge gave him one round and the other two gave him two and I gave Nate at least four I would have to go back and watch it (one day no time soon however) 

If he is serious about the rematch in MMA he will get fucking schooled but it's Jake Paul and he will probably go back on his word with that 

14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I gave Nate 3 rounds, 97-92.

I think I gave him 4 round's but off the top of my head I can't remember which

2, 4, 6,7 something like that there were two rounds where Nate had him in deep water but it would end and he would go back to the start and loose momentum