It wouldn’t surprise me if the cancellation of Kaos gives it some buzz and ends up getting picked up elsewhere. It’s a shame because it’s one of the better shows to have come through them in years and I’d much rather sit through a few series of Jeff Goldblum Goldbluming Zeus than whatever flashy hollow shite they’re paying Ryan Murphy to do there. 

Did those Game of Thrones fellas get another series of that show that bombed?

5 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Did that bomb? I thought it did alright?

It bombed critically, but lots of people watched it. And I think that's the issue, there's a lot of conflating the two.

Looking, it appears that 3 Body Problem did 965 million viewing minutes in its first week, which is around 3.4 million unique views. And then in week two it went up into the billions of viewing minutes, and repeated that into week 3. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/streaming-tv-ratings-march-25-31-2024-1235881816/

Kaos appeared to do 2.2 million unique views in week 1 and trended downward from there.

I know ratings chat is tedious, but the broader point about how Netflix have changed the game from a commissioning perspective IS interesting.

They don't care about critical regard or the art of what they're making. If something artistic and awards worthy also attracts a lot of viewers (and retains subscribers) I'm sure that's great, but if Adam Sandler taking a shit on the floor brought in lots of people they'd commission that tomorrow.

For the Netflix business model, if Kaos isn't doing the business in terms of acquisition, retention and viewing minutes, then they'd rather hire the director to do 3 more different shows in the hope they work better, rather than sticking with something trending downwards.

Yeah the streaming side of commissions and cancellations is such a complicated and confusing thing. 

The thing that will always frustrate me is that half the time I don't even know something's on or out there. Especially with something like the shows on Apple. Barely advertised, barely discussed. All these companies have their own goalposts too which is fair enough but again unless something breaks through massively like Stranger Things or whatever then it can be incredibly tough to get a solid lifetime.

Sweetpea on Sky is pretty solid, perfect timing having a show with Ella Purnell as the lead after Fallout, too. I've heard that fans of the book aren't too pleased in how they've changed things though, apparently dumbing things down quite a bit and taking away a lot of the power the main character held, taking away the edge and making her far more catty etc. It's made me want to pick up a copy though.

• Paid Members

Paris Has Fallen is exactly what you think it is, just with Gerrard Butler swapped out for some guy and a tidy Indian girl with a top-tier sweaty chest game. It's my jam, all action. All 8 episodes have aired already in France, but the monsters didn't add English subs to the (minimal) French talky parts for some reason, so I'm stuck having to watch it weekly LIKE A PHEASANT, after it airs in Australia.

FROM is still pretty mid in season three, with the occasional threats of getting interesting petering out quick. It's helping pass the time until an actually great mystery comes back though, speaking of which...

My anus is ready, it's been a long 18 months. Book readers have behaved themselves for once, I know nothing that's coming. Can't wait!