The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The best comedy WWE has ever done was Edge & Christian and their kazoo.

Triple H and Kurt Angle being in their comedy segments whilst being able to flip back to being ultra-competitive killers a segment later is a perfect example of what made the year 2000 the watertight, interlinked booking marvel that it was. 

Chris Kreski and his storyboarding. Talk about an unsung hero. Everything was fun and had stakes at the same time, and there was a relative minimum of the kind of gutter stuff they were doing a year later. 

He was ousted as head writer in favour of a McMahon in November 2000 and within a few weeks you had Vince getting Trish to bark like a dog. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I know that "This is your life" segment is looked back on as a classic but I distinctly remember being pretty bored watching it at the time as it just went on forever. On a rewatch years later I thought it was ok, typical Rock catchphrase stuff, but not really worthy of the legend it has created.

On a similar note, people think the Y2J debut is brilliant. But what really happens is that he shows up looking like a star, then gets verbally trodden on by The Rock and instantly made to look like a deluded opening act wrestler and has to stand there pouting rather than giving a retort. Then later he acts as mere a nuisance in Rock's match with PROPER baddie Big Show. Dare I say.. a Minor Annoyance. Which is fine if you're on your way to a comeuppance at the hands of Dean Malenko or Rey Rey in the third match on the card, but isn't an ideal start when the company thinks you could be a main event player.

Although I have a soft spot for it because my best mate watched it on live telly at a sensible time in a bar on holiday in Fort Lauderdale and brought me back a Wolfpack t-shirt.

• Paid Members
Just now, air_raid said:

On a similar note, people think the Y2J debut is brilliant. But what really happens is that he shows up looking like a star, then gets verbally trodden on by The Rock and instantly made to look like a deluded opening act wrestler and has to stand there pouting rather than giving a retort.

This isn't said enough. I had only seen highlights of it until, I think it was a The Rock DVD that came out and had the segment in full as an extra and watching it fully it's proper dreadful. It's amazing Jericho was able to come out of it and be successful, even if not immediately. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

I find 1999-2000 WWF a tad overrated. Its nowhere near as good as people say it is. They just lucked out on getting a ton of great workers.

1999 is fucking awful, but 2000 is fantastic. A lot of the dregs have been relegated to opening matches, Jericho, Angle and Benoit turn up the in ring quality, the tag division is ten times better, everyone interlinks their stories and Rock vs suddenly top tier HHH with supporting cast coming and going is far better than Austin vs Vince and Taker for the second year running. Having watched it since 1993, I think 2000 was the best year they ever had on TV and on PPV.

• Paid Members

Kind of bonkers looking back how much they ran variations of Austin vs Undertaker and Triple H vs The Rock and fans didn't get sick of it. Triple H and Rock must have been in the same match on PPVs alone from 97-2000 about 9 or 10 times.

• Paid Members

2000 is when I came back to wrestling, and even with a lot of the same talent around, I've never managed to go back and watch much from 1999, because it's fucking awful.

2000 has a lot of rubbish, especially early on - when we talk about how good 2000 was, we're not talking about Mark Henry vs. Viscera at No Way Out, the Road Dogg/X-Pac feud, or the majority of Wrestlemania 2000 - but you have a main event picture that's still pretty novel in not being built around one guy beating everyone; there's the Triple H/Foley feud, Triple H in general at the best he ever was pre-quad tear, The Rock at the height of his powers, but you really have the WWF breaking the trend of the Monday Night Wars; for most of the "war", WCW's main event picture was pretty dismal but their midcard had a lot of great stuff, while the WWF had an incredibly hot main event and a bunch of lifers and no-hopers in the midcard.

By 2000 you have the tag team scene built around the Dudleys, Hardys and Edge & Christian, you've got the Radicalz, you've got Too Cool getting ridiculously over, the rise of Kurt Angle, the hardcore division being ridiculous fun. Take out the horrendous, even by Attitude Era standards, presentation of women, and it's all just generally more good than bad.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Kind of bonkers looking back how much they ran variations of Austin vs Undertaker and Triple H vs The Rock and fans didn't get sick of it. Triple H and Rock must have been in the same match on PPVs alone from 97-2000 about 9 or 10 times.

It's why I never really got on with people criticising Roman Reigns for always being in the main event, because if you watch any show during Austin's peak, it's full-blown Poochie "whenever Stone Cold isn't on-screen, the other characters should be asking 'Where's Austin?'" stuff, and main events would be him against the same guys forever. But you can get away with anything when you're over and the show's hot.

I thought I'd look into this on Cagematch, between 1998 and 2002, the Rock and Triple H wrestled each other in some capacity 68 times, not including house shows. They also teamed together 3 times in TV tag matches, and once in a handicap match, and Triple H was special referee for three of The Rock's matches. 

You were bang on about 9 or 10 times, as they fought on PPV 10 times - 3 singles, 3 Triple Threat, one ladder match, one six-man tag, one cage match, one Falls Count Anywhere strap match, one Iron Man Match, one Six-Pack Challenge, one Six-Man Hell In A Cell, and one Fatal Four Way. 

EDIT: I've realised that I missed out anything from when Triple H was Hunter Hearst Helmsley, which adds an additional 3 singles match on TV, one on PPV, one Survivor Series match on PPV, and the sole Royal Rumble match they were both in. Which brings their total number of matches up to 74 minus house shows, and their total PPV matches up to 13. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I thought I'd look into this on Cagematch, and Triple and Rock first wrestled on TV on an episode of RAW in May 1998. Between then and 2002, the Rock and Triple H wrestled each other in some capacity 68 times, not including house shows. They also teamed together 3 times in TV tag matches, and once in a handicap match, and Triple H was special referee for three of The Rock's matches.

Plus a fairly memorable one where Rock refereed one of Hunter's, against Bulldog, for the belt.

"One.... two.... IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE ROCK COUNTS THE THREE!"

As a partiot, I hated Rocky in that moment. But it passed. Roody poo poo.

• Paid Members

By comparison, Austin and Undertaker felt like they fought each other a million times, but they only actually wrestled each other 45 times, and only 19 times on PPV.

They also teamed together on PPV twice - in a tag match, and in the 5 vs 5 main event of Invasion, and teamed together 5 times on TV. Austin was special guest referee for Undertaker vs. Batista at Cyber Sunday 2007. 

WWF 2000 is a near perfect year of wrestling TV (near because it goes a bit squiffy in the autumn), practically everyone from Rock to Kaientai are over or are good workers like Saturn, Dean Malenko, X-Pac who make others shine.

1999 WWF is genuinely embarrassing to watch back. It has some of the worst TV they've ever put out whopper ratings aside of that. WWF & WCW 1999 are both awful years on TV and PPV, it's incredible it didn't burn out quicker, the shite they were putting on.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

WWF & WCW 1999 are both awful years on TV and PPV, it's incredible it didn't burn out quicker, the shite they were putting on.

It's crazy how hot wrestling stayed in that period, even with WCWs dwindling numbers it was still doing ratings many shows would have killed for.

The one true standout of that year was Vader having maybe his single best ever year in All Japan before he had to slow it down soon after. But of course only the biggest of nerds would have seen that at the time.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

WWF 2000 is a near perfect year of wrestling TV (near because it goes a bit squiffy in the autumn), practically everyone from Rock to Kaientai are over or are good workers like Saturn, Dean Malenko, X-Pac who make others shine.

1999 WWF is genuinely embarrassing to watch back. It has some of the worst TV they've ever put out whopper ratings aside of that. WWF & WCW 1999 are both awful years on TV and PPV, it's incredible it didn't burn out quicker, the shite they were putting on.

I tried rewatching some 1999 episodes of Raw a couple of years ago.  Just gave me a headache.  Amazing how incredible we all thought it was at the time.