The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

Unsurprising that one of the best things Seth Rollins has ever done in his poxy career is completely rip off a Hangman Adam Page promo.

It was probably Punk’s best segment thus far just for actually having someone to mix it up with. There was some genuine drama when Seth’s music first hit and they stared each other down. Fair play. Punk still looks like he’s aging in dog years though. You’d think Survivor Series was three years ago considering how much rougher he already looks.

I’d give anything to be in that production meeting though.

”Okay Phil, we’ll do the Hangman promo again, only this time you won’t lose your fucking mind for twelve months straight…right? Promise?”

Fact remains though. Stone Cold vs. Punk is the Mania match. Nothing Seth can say, do or plagiarise will ever change that. They’re millions of miles apart in how much I want to see them.

• Paid Members

My big takeaway from the results this week is that the Gund Arena is now the “Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse” which is such a random sounding three words, that it puts me in mind of a nonsense Japanglish t-shirt slogan.

Still regret not heading into that restaurant to sample “Curry And Naan / Gyro And Bum.”

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

It was probably Punk’s best segment thus far just for actually having someone to mix it up with. There was some genuine drama when Seth’s music first hit and they stared each other down. Fair play. Punk still looks like he’s aging in dog years though. You’d think Survivor Series was three years ago considering how much rougher he already looks.

Never agreed with anything more in my life.

I said in the other thread that he looked 10 years older than Survivor Series, but as he looked 20 years younger than his AEW run when he first came back he was still up on the cards. By the Royal Rumble he’ll be back in the red, though.

It’s absolutely fascinating, how rough he often looks. He must have a real issue with sleep. Or his conscience.

It’s another mark in the column of them lying about how his return came together, too. He didn’t just turn up half an hour before his entrance, he’d been working on himself for months in advance and clearly spent the afternoon with Hollywood’s best make-up artist.

Also, whilst we’re on the topic of me being right about things in other threads, it was a billion times better having him mix it up with someone else. Night and fucking day. I’d rather it wasn’t Seth, to be honest, but if it replaces CM Punk’s ‘Peter Kay at the end of the Pier’ act, I’ll take it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Honestly the entire segment last night was fantastic and perfectly executed throughout. 

It was pretty obvious punk was signing to raw with the final choice and signing being on a episode of raw but they got the most out of him turning up on both raw and smackdown over three consecutive weeks I bet they capitalised on the ratings and in my opinion that first in ring promo on raw was a total flop and nothing will convince me only giving him eight minutes was correct and worthwhile.

Seth fucking knocked it out the park with that promo absolutely phenomenal and you could feel the tension through the screen and it felt legitimate and true drama.

Do we see punk winning the rumble which again is another huge VIRAL moment for them giving the paint by numbers road to wrestlemania (I don't believe he needs to win the rumble to get the title match at mania after that segment but I don't see anyone else getting a shock win instead bar Cody but that's equally obvious as he's clearly getting Roman at mania to finish the story 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

in my opinion that first in ring promo on raw was a total flop and nothing will convince me only giving him eight minutes was correct and worthwhile.

He had to go short because Orton vs Dom went long and they didn't claw the time back in between.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pfft. He's the same handsome Phil. 

Anyway...I've mentally prepared myself for Punk beating Rollins for the world heavyweight title on night one. The Austin match is the one, but I imagine all heads are turned to that god dang it son Broken Skull Ranch for that one, and this is as solid a backup plan as any. 

I've talked before about muting your WWE expectations to enjoy it more. Sort of just going along with whatever 'The Plan' is. It's another argument if that's even something you should have to do but over the course of that - by any other time's standards - great, great segment last night that's kind of what happened my mental map of Punk's possible WWE run. 

He'll get the commiseration B-side belt, B-side headline slot and then probably settle into business as usual. And I'm fine with that. Honestly, given what we saw from how he had the run of the place in AEW, a neutered CM Punk is probably for the better. Keep him happy behind company lines, get a few years of good stories out of his obvious skillset, allow him to ride off into the sunset as a company legend. That's the good ending, anyway. 

I'm talking about muted expectations here. Again by any other time, last night's segment was an excellent bit of business. A tickle of real life, but totally worked. Two of the era's top guys going for the show's top belt. I have genuine interest in it, and I freaking hate Seth Rollins.  Maybe it's conflict fatigue, that I'm fine with him just muddling into business as usual. It still feels so surreal that I find it more interesting than most potential things he could have done in AEW. I don't want there to forever be that "Oh my god, what a MOMENT this could be!" intake of breath every time he gets handed a mic. 

Welcome home, Punk. See you at Payback for the "Let me show you what the REAL wrestling business represents to me!" match with Miz. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

1 minute ago, CavemanLynn said:

Is this all based on the promo package off WWE All Stars 12 years ago, or has there actually been legit talk or hints of this in the real world?

It’s been reported recently the WWE ‘think it’s a possibility’.

Was reported by Fightful first I think, then Meltzer, and then The Independent and Daily Mail ran it (but off the previous reports, so it doesn’t add any extra credibility).

It’s the match, though. They should move heaven and earth to do that. Let Seth fuck about with Gunther or something.

• Paid Members

Seth ripping of Hangman aside, it was a great promo, the best thing Punks* done since returning. However, the stare down felt like a Tim and Eric sketch which goes on so long it starts good, gets annoying and gets good again. All the camera cuts were hilarious though. I still wonder why if you win the Rumble why you’d go for the secondary title rather than Roman though. Seth’s title isn’t the real worlds title. But I’m sure the match will be great.

*see, I don’t hate him.

19 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It’s been reported recently the WWE ‘think it’s a possibility’.

Was reported by Fightful first I think, then Meltzer, and then The Independent and Daily Mail ran it (but off the previous reports, so it doesn’t add any extra credibility).

It’s the match, though. They should move heaven and earth to do that. Let Seth fuck about with Gunther or something.

Completely agree with this, Gunther destroying Seth in the opener of night one and Punk/Austin headlining would be a dream.

I just can't see the latter happening at all.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Is this all based on the promo package off WWE All Stars 12 years ago, or has there actually been legit talk or hints of this in the real world?

Depends on who you believe. While Punk was in the bad books with AEW/also injured in late 2022 rumours were doing the rounds of WWE trying to persuade Austin to wrestle again at Mania 39, and that some part of the team wanted to try and make Punk vs Austin happen, plus Rock vs Reigns. But it's a huge mess there in respects to plans made and re-made and stories that you don't know if they're true or not. Sports Illustrated thinks Lesnar vs Lashley was the first plan for Mania 39, but they stopped trying to arrange that because they were trying to negotiate for Lesnar vs Austin when the Austin vs Punk idea was abandoned/vetoed. When Austin didn't come to terms on wrestling they offered Bray Wyatt to Lesnar but he said no (not for the first time) so they moved to Lashley vs Wyatt. Which also didnt happen because Bray was injured, leaving Lesnar with Omos, Lashley in the battle royal, Austin on the ranch and Punk on his couch.

24 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I just can't see the latter happening at all.

Who'd have predicted Austin/Owens in December 2021, though?

To be honest, I'm not sure I want to see it happen. The match against Owens was pretty much perfect for what it was, but it did expose Austin's understandable limitations. They didn't matter in the moment, but they might matter if he were to face Punk. He's already had the perfect send-off, and I'm not sure anything with Punk could surpass that. 

That said, I imagine we'll see Cody and Punk as the final two in the Rumble next month - with both eventually going on to face World Champions at Wrestlemania. 

Outside of the Punk/Rollins confrontation, I thought McIntyre and Nakamura both knocked it out of the park once again. For me, they're both the best they've ever been in WWE and I'd love to see them both in prominent singles matches on the 'Mania card. McIntyre/Punk seems more intriguing to me than Punk/Rollins, at this stage. 

Edited by RedRooster