Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

John Candy - I Like Me
Sad, as you would expect, but also without really anything interesting happening or anything too deep being touched on. Felt like more of a "let's all get together and praise John Candy" kinda thing than any sort of in-depth documentary. That being said, he did seem like a genuinely nice and loved bloke. There's only so far you can stretch this concept when the main character is almost entirely unproblematic.

The Terminator
Still my favourite of the two. Just a great fun little slice of nonsense sci-fi with a timeless bad guy and pumping score. 

T2: Judgement Day
Still love the T-1000 effects, they somehow just don't age. Non-stop action from start to finish and you really can't fault much about it. I prefer the vibe of the first one but this one is brilliant too. I will die on the hill that "I know now why you cry" is really lame though.

  • Members
Posted
20 minutes ago, FLips said:

. I will die on the hill that "I know now why you cry" is really lame though.

w300.gif.4e8045eba7bca11faabe4b9e171fddd4.gif

I love them both as well, but would say 2 edges it. The first really is a great horror/slasher film as well when you think about it.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, FLips said:

There's only so far you can stretch this concept when the main character is almost entirely unproblematic.

I was well into the CFL involvement bit and it was quite refreshing to not have an "he's actually a wrong 'un" reveal. 

The last 5 minutes had me crying like a baby.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Good fortune (cinema) I just saw this, knew nothing going in except the 3 main cast. If I had known it was written and directed by Aziz Anzari as well as starring him I probably wouldn't have seen it because he's one of my least faves.

I'm not gonna say it's good because I know many, many people will find it shit and I wouldn't care to defend it but it resonated with me right now and I enjoyed it, as well as just enjoying seeing an 80s style mid budget fantasy comedy at the cinema which is rare these days. Keanu Reeves played an angel and he was brilliant and elevated the whole thing massively, the perfect role for him.

Quite a lot of it was a bit on the nose or had misplaced good intentions or didn't hold up to scrutiny but I think it's heart and message were in the right place and I like the fact that it maintained a realistic view of how life can be a bit (or a lot) shit for lots of people.

Posted

Dudes

Multi-genre road trip revenge movie about a group of punk rockers from New York who pursue the gang who killed their friend as they were making their way to California. It tries to be too many things and is a bit annoying at times, but I appreciated it when it reined in the eccentricity a little. I just thought it was obnoxious at times and maybe wasn't in the mood for it.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Frighteners

Michael J Fox can see ghosts and uses that power to make money conning people, but then a new ghost rocks up and starts killing people and he has to sort it out.

Had all the right tools to be something really great but it’s all over the place in concept and execution. Not an offensively bad film, but certainly a disappointing one and not one I’d add to the halloween playlist. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Shelby oaks never heard of this but went as it's Halloween and it was a horror film. Genuinely one of the shittest films I've seen in years, hated every second except the laughable last few mins purely for comedy value. Best thing about ithe whole experience was the girl working at the cinema was wearing a cool pennywise costume which I enjoyed much more than the film. Also a guy shouted shut the fuck up at the screen at one point which was funny. People were booing and laughing when it ended. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Cineworld had a "Classic" Secret Screaming for Halloween last night.

BBFC card came up for Terrifier 3.  I came home.  Seriously considering chucking in my Unlimited card as I just can't trust a cinema company that would waste my time like that.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Cineworld had a "Classic" Secret Screaming for Halloween last night.

BBFC card came up for Terrifier 3.  I came home.  Seriously considering chucking in my Unlimited card as I just can't trust a cinema company that would waste my time like that.

I saw this on Reddit too and it seems you weren’t the only one. Mass walkouts at most screenings by the looks of it.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Sounds even worse than what Cineworld did. Apparently advertised a Secret Screaming of a "classic horror" which turned out to be.. Terrifier 3 ?

SNAP!

It's the largest walk out I've ever witnessed at either a Secret Screaming or Secret Screening.  I felt sorry for the staff as there were people demanding refunds and just generally pissed that they'd organised a night out, maybe got a babysitter etc to be presented with that.  Just an idiotic decision to show that film under the banner of "classic."  Regardless of it being shite or not, it was literally in the cinema last Halloween.

Posted

Lisa Frankenstein

This was our Halloween watch and both me and my wife thought it was really quite poor. One of those horror comedies that's neither funny nor scary. We started drifting off towards the end of it, which was no great shame. Good soundtrack, mind.

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Lisa Frankenstein

This was our Halloween watch and both me and my wife thought it was really quite poor. One of those horror comedies that's neither funny nor scary. We started drifting off towards the end of it, which was no great shame. Good soundtrack, mind.

I quite liked this. It's the only Diablo Cody-written thing that I didn't completely hate. Directed by Robin Williams' daughter!

Frankenstein (cinema)

The new one. Del Toro has made one decent film in 20 years, The Shape of Water, and even that wasn't that good. This might be the worst. It's just so fucking boring and brings nothing to the table. Oscar Isaac is awful, Jacob Elordi tries his best as the hot monster, and Mia Goth wears lots of dresses. Absolutely pointless. The CGI wolves are pathetic.

The Thing (cinema)

While you poor sods were being treated to Terrifier 3, The Light's John Carpenter season served up one of the greatest horror films of all time. Absolutely packed, brilliant atmosphere, and a treat to see one of my favourites at the cinema.

The Fog (Prime)

Ahoy there.

The Shining 

There's no way they're eating that whole massive can of fruit between the three of them. Unless the twins had some.

Halloween (BBC iPlayer)

Didn't get to see this last weekend at the cinema as my daughter was ticking but you can watch this on anything and still have the best time.

The Witch Who Came from the Sea

The best film I watched for the first time this month. Cannot believe I'd never seen this before. Psychological horror-drama about a traumatised woman who starts meting out some violence against men. Millie Perkins with one of the all-time bravest and most committed performances. Brilliant.

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat

Weird comedy about warring vampire factions in a desert town. There's probably too much going on but it's very funny and full of good moments, with Bruce Campbell doing some of his perfect physical comedy.

It's What's Inside (Netflix)

I've seen this talked up as one of Netflix's better originals and that bar must be even lower than I thought. This is really shit but even more so because it wastes an awesome concept on absolute wanker characters. The twist should improve it - it does not.

From Beyond

Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna are one of best horror partnerships of all time. This is filled with their usual amusingly disgusting effects and it's a great laugh. Also - Barbara Crampton in a BSDM outfit.

Azrael (Shudder)

Samara Weaving is in a lot of films and she's always awesome in them but they're rarely good. This is one of the better ones but it's still not brilliant. Another horror film that does the silence gimmick but there's lots of gore, some good action and a nice enough ending. 

The Car

A devil car is terrorising a small desert town. If you liked Maximum Overdrive as much as I did (not possible) and Duel then it's for you. Features one of the most incredibly mean-spirited deaths ever put on film. A great time.

Posted
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I quite liked this. It's the only Diablo Cody-written thing that I didn't completely hate. Directed by Robin Williams' daughter!

I went into it really wanting to like. I mean, I like Weird Science, alright? But it just did nothing for me and I thought the writing was pretty mad. 

From Beyond and Cramtpon in black leather lingerie, on the other hand? Oh yes. Oh yes...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...