VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

Glad to hear this. I watched X last night and will check out Pearl tonight ahead of going to see MaXXXine at the cinema tomorrow. I liked X. Not lifechanging or anything but a decent, low-budget indie horror full of familiar tropes and obvious reference points. 

I think much like @Chris B I found MaXXXine was definitely the strongest of the three entries, so if you enjoy the first two, there's every chance the 3rd installment will be very enjoyable for you. Definitely delivered more than X or Pearl, much as I enjoyed both for the most part. 

• Members

The best film of the last 10 years The Edge Of Seventeen is back on the iplayer, so you have no excuse if you haven't seen it. Don't make me ask again. 

Also The Iron Claw is on Prime if you fancy a right old laugh.

• Paid Members

Well I loved Longlegs. I'm a huge Maika Monroe fan so I'm delighted that she's getting as much attention for this as she did for It Follows, but the story is really strong here and I love how it freewheels between the 'real' and the supernatural. No problems with any of it and the way Perkins frames interiors so that something could come out of anywhere makes it constantly atmospheric. One of the best of the year.

• Paid Members

Bullet Train

Entertaining, funny and decent action but too long and with too many twists that don’t all land. A bit of a pointless takeaway from the film but it made me realise I’m sick of the sight of Ryan Reynolds.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I absolutely hate that one note stale act overrated hack. 

He has a cameo in Bullet Train so unimportant that there’s no need to spoiler tag it, and he must only be on screen for about 10 seconds at most. As soon as he showed up I instinctively groaned. 

• Paid Members

He's done the exact same shitty cameo bit in Hobbs & Shaw, Ghosted and Bullet Train during the last few years. He's the go-to man if you want an annoying cameo in your below-average action film.

I think it may have been D-Mal who once posted something along the lines of 'give it a rest Ryan, you've got Blake Lively at home' and it pops into my head everytime I see him on screen now.

• Paid Members

I'm sure I read somewhere last year that he was taking a break from acting for 3 years to spend time with his family. Two films out this year, nine in development.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Is there another hollywood star with a worse filmography? Seems like a nice guy, but he can't seem to make a good film accidentally. 

I’ll give him credit for the Deadpool films, in fairness. They’re decent. Other than that though, Detective Pikachu was the last one of his I watched and thought was OK but saying that’s a Ryan Reynolds film is like saying Shrek is an Eddie Murphy film.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, gmoney said:

I know I'd despise the Deadpool films, based on limited footage I've seen. 

Superhero stuff for me is very hit and miss. I enjoyed the first Iron Man, Guardians 1 and 2, Deadpool 1 and 2 and thought the first Captain America was OK. I have so little interest in the genre though that I haven’t bothered with ones I hear or assume I would enjoy. I still haven’t seen Guardians 3 and don’t have the interest or time to watch the Infinity Stone stuff or the full Marvel Universe.

I tried watching The Boys and thought it was dogshit. Think I made it two episodes in and from bits I hear about it these days I’m glad I stopped cos it sounds like old bollocks.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I know I'd despise the Deadpool films, based on limited footage I've seen. 

I've seen the first one because I mistakenly let a bunch of people trick me into watching it by saying "it's different from the others, it's a superhero satire!" and it fucking ain't.

I do like Reynolds to a degree but he's a one-trick pony who has mastered a particular personality trait and type of role and is just going to ride it as far as it will go. There's probably a decent dramatic actor under there somewhere but we're unlikely to see it any time soon. I'm just very tired of him now.

Edited by Devon Malcolm