Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Considering how hot I find both Margaret Qualley and Aubrey Plaza, it really shows how bad Drive Away Dolls was that I haven't got round to this one yet.

Drive Away Dolls also wasn't helped by Love Lies Bleeding coming out at a similar time, which did the queer noir thing SO much better on every conceivable level.

Love Lies Bleeding is on the list. Heard good things. 

I didn't mind Drive-Away Dolls, but I think it benefitted from being one of the few times I got to the cinema that year (as well as being a rare date night with the wife). I have no desire to ever watch it again, however.

Posted
24 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Love Lies Bleeding

That was a day one cinema viewing for me, I think I'm one of the few that really loved Rose Glass' previous film Saint Maud which I'd recommend just as much even if it's a very different kind of queer cinema.

Posted

One False Move

Long-overdue re-watch. What a fucking great film this is. A southern melodrama wrapped up in an early-90s indie noir thriller. It's so well-directed and everyone in it is excellent. It's so lean, but punctuated by moments of shocking, visceral violence. The ending is a total gut punch, even though you expect it. I loved this and won't wait another fifteen-or-so years before I watch it again. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Resident Evil (2026)

90 fast paced minutes of slapstick comedy and gore. Like a violent Mr Bean. Don’t care if it wasn’t related to any of the games, I felt it fit into the universe absolutely perfectly and the games nearly all have confusing shit plots anyway so this did it a service ignoring them.

Blockers

Was worried this wasn’t going to be that good but it ended up being really funny. A lot better than expected. Feels like it’s going to be a Superbad knockoff but comes into it’s own.

The Departed

Had high expectations of this but it’s a slow slog, even by Scorcese standards. Everyone has mental BAWSTON accents. Turned it off maybe just over an hour in. Might go back to it.

The Heat

Felt like for a while Melissa McCarthy was in everything and thank god she’s not anymore. Sandra Bullock does not have the charisma to keep up so it’s a one man show.

Moonstruck

Cemented now as one of my favourite films. A real comfort watch. Smart, funny, a little odd. Despite it being mostly about cheating it has a real romance to it.

Posted

Over Your Dead Body. Jason Siegel and Samara Weaving go for a weekend away at a cabin with each planning to off the other for insurance money, hijinks ensue. What starts as a dark comedy takes a turn down Coen Brothers territory then turns in to pretty violent and gory thriller. Probably should have stuck to one. It’s alright, the tonal shifts are extremely jarring especially 

Spoiler

The attempted rape

Samara Weaving is a very charismatic actress.
 

28 Years Later: The Bone Temple. Another schizophrenic film. Weird to have such a shift from the Boyle film before it and it gets a bit lost between the formers style and whatever Nia DaCosta is trying to get at. I found her Candyman remake quite similar in that she had the idea of a good film but couldn’t execute it. She seems promising but is likely just a bit shit. Ralph Fiennes is tremendous.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Over Your Dead Body. Jason Siegel and Samara Weaving go for a weekend away at a cabin with each planning to off the other for insurance money, hijinks ensue. What starts as a dark comedy takes a turn down Coen Brothers territory then turns in to pretty violent and gory thriller. Probably should have stuck to one. It’s alright, the tonal shifts are extremely jarring especially 

  Reveal hidden contents

The attempted rape

Samara Weaving is a very charismatic actress.

The original with Noomi Rapace is much better. Samara needs to murder her agent. She's never in anything good.

  • Paid Members
Posted
42 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Over Your Dead Body. Jason Siegel and Samara Weaving go for a weekend away at a cabin with each planning to off the other for insurance money, hijinks ensue. What starts as a dark comedy takes a turn down Coen Brothers territory then turns in to pretty violent and gory thriller. Probably should have stuck to one. It’s alright, the tonal shifts are extremely jarring especially 

  Reveal hidden contents

The attempted rape

 

You just reminded me we watched this a couple of weeks ago and you have the same thoughts as me mostly. The bit you have in spoiler tags went on way too long to remain funny, and then the end stretch felt rushed and all over the place. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

We looked at the cinema listings in old local papers for dates in the past and picked our Saturday night viewing based on that.

She's All That

American high school My Fair Lady.  Uses the age old Neighbours Plain Jane Superbrain trick of putting someone conventionally attractive in glasses to convince us that they aren't gorgeous.  Everyone and their cat is in this if you look at the credits.  Absolute standard late 90s teen romcom.

Galaxy Quest

I had seen this before and I still love it.  Aliens mistake Star-Trek-alike actors for actual galactic saviours.  There's a documentary (Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary) that came out around the 20th anniversary celebrating it which I would also recommend if you have any fondness for the film.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

28 Years Later: The Bone Temple. Another schizophrenic film. Weird to have such a shift from the Boyle film before it and it gets a bit lost between the formers style and whatever Nia DaCosta is trying to get at. I found her Candyman remake quite similar in that she had the idea of a good film but couldn’t execute it. She seems promising but is likely just a bit shit. Ralph Fiennes is tremendous.

I watched this today - it felt like the zombies/outbreak were superfluous, even the stuff with Samson. I did enjoy Fiennes' play acting as Old Nick though. The Sir Jimmy stuff just felt a bit old hat and trying to go for the additional shock factor, which fell flat. 

Posted

Toy Story 5 - missed out on seeing this when it came out so was glad Disney Plus had it on so soon. It’s probably the best in the series since 2, very emotive especially the scene where Bonnie gets crushed by her new friends making fun of her in their group chat

Disney will probably set in motion a 6th film based on the box office success this got but I don’t think there’s much more they can do with the characters now

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...