VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Ignore Jackson, but Kong of Skull Island is essential in the build to Godzilla Vs Kong (alongside Godzilla and Godzilla: King of Monsters).

I found Godzilla very meh. Kong: Skull Island I loved. Godzilla KOTM was very good and Godzilla vs Kong was pretty good. Skull Island definitely the highlight.

Scream (2022) was very meh. Predictable, not very scary, not very funny and looked like Courtney Cox was wearing a mask with her only acting coming from her eyes. Worth catching on TV, but not worth a Cinema trip.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Ignore Jackson, but Kong of Skull Island is essential in the build to Godzilla Vs Kong (alongside Godzilla and Godzilla: King of Monsters).

Is it? I don't recall any reference to Kong: Skull Island in Godzilla vs Kong. That was part of my issue with it, it was just a direct sequel to the Godzilla films with Kong dropped in.

• Paid Members

Saw Alan Partridge Alpha Papa is on the iPlayer at the moment and gave it a watch as I'd never seen it. I know, I'm a Philestine. Cracking film and, like most brit flicks, it's choc full of "oh yeah, that's him/her from that." Colm Meaney is a good turn, and it's a laugh from start to finish, in true Partridge style. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Saw Alan Partridge Alpha Papa is on the iPlayer at the moment and gave it a watch as I'd never seen it. I know, I'm a Philestine. Cracking film and, like most brit flicks, it's choc full of "oh yeah, that's him/her from that." Colm Meaney is a good turn, and it's a laugh from start to finish, in true Partridge style. 

Any film which starts of with Cuddly Toy by Roachford is worth paying attention to.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

My best mate says he doesn’t like Alpha Papa on the basis that all British small screen comedies that become films HAVE to involve a siege. Porridge I’ll grant you, but I think it’s a crap reason to hate on a cracking slice of Partridge.

I am Siegeface.

12 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Sky Cinema has Bob Odenkirk's Nobody as of today. I love Bob. Well worth some of your time this weekend if anyone still bothers with Sky Cinema.

Holy Shit, just about to post here how I’ve just finished watching it! Absolutely loved it. Had me smiling like a twat the whole way through. 

• Paid Members

Echoing the love for Nobody, a superb action film.

Boiing Point (cinema)

Well this was as good as I hoped it would be. A one night, one shot drama about a troubled restaurant just before Christmas, it's the best use of this sort of gimmick I can remember seeing and uses its wide range of characters so well. Stephen Graham gets better year on year. Expect this to be in my top 10 at the end of the year.

Licorice Pizza (cinema)

What a disappointment Paul Thomas Anderson has become. There's just nothing to his films anymore. Two hours and 20 minutes of a problematic romance, casual racism and the occasional laugh. What happened to this guy? Alana Haim is every single bit as amazing as you've heard though - ridiculous that this was her acting debut.

Munich - The Edge of War (Netflix)

Netflix's latest is a surprisingly engaging spy drama surrounding the Munich Agreement. Takes down Chamberlain smartly (Jeremy Irons is really good as him) and looks at it from both sides. Deserves a bit more attention than it's going to get.