WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@CleetusVanDamme you are only the second person I've ever known to own a PS3. Erm, congrats?

It was a weird generation. EVERYONE was PS2 beforehand, then suddenly were all 360, including me! I'm not sure why. I was a latecomer to the PS3, got it around 2011 (I probably got the 360 in 2006/7). It's a great console, with some great exclusives that seem to be stuck there forever. Well worth a pickup if you never had one.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

The PS3 was late to the party and very, very expensive. I'm pretty sure the 360 could be had for around £200 on launch which was pretty crazy and the PS3 was double that... mad that Sony thought that was a good idea.

Edited by Merzbow

• Awards Moderator

Yeah most people switched to 360 for that era. I still have a PS3 under the TV, it's now a SingStar machine (Found SingStar ABBA and SingStar PS3 in a charity shop in Frinton last week. Made up.) 

• Moderators
On 9/4/2024 at 11:16 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Been playing Splintered Fate on the Switch. Single player only so far but it's decent fun. Not sure the builds are that well balanced but I haven't explored everything yet so hard to say. Meteor Strike tool seems super OP compared to all other tools.

Going to play co-op for the first time on Friday with my nephews so I'm looking forward to that.

Buggy as fuck on multiplayer and not very good at managing when characters spread out over the map. 

My memory of the 360/PS3 era is similar to most of the above mentions only I'd add that - probably because that generation went on for so long - most people eventually did end up getting a PS3 once it dropped in price anyway and I think it did end up selling more overall even though for sure for a time there the Xbox done the previously and since then impossible seeming task of being the 'default' console. 

It's an awesome console, and still unfortunately the best 'Playstation museum' you can get (especially if you can grab the original 60gb model that plays PS2 discs) because of how rubbish Sony have been with back compatibility/the classics catalogue since then. 

PS3 managed to outsell the 360 by the end of the gen. PS2 had the benefit of being a dvd player when dvd players were very expensive. I remember people having them for that purpose alone. I think the Switch is about 10 million sales away from the PS2 and even though that’s reaching the end of its life cycle it won’t be far off by the time Nintendo reinvent the wheel with its next iteration.

I started that generation with a 360, but as often happens with Xbox, the problem became the lack of exclusive games compared to Sony. There wasn’t much I was looking forward to on that console, and there was the ever-present threat of your Xbox being red-ringed…so I traded mine in and bought a PS3, and didn’t look back. Uncharted, The Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, MGS4, Tales from Space…there was so much to love on that console. 

• Paid Members

It's weird how even years after release PS5 still doesn't feel like a console that has even gotten started yet. PS2, 3 and 4 were great machines with loads of stuff to enjoy and remember. I feel like I'm still waiting for the PS5 to turn up. There's been plenty of good games but nothing that's felt like it's firmly established the console or will last in people's minds long term.

I'm hoping Astro Bot is that. Can't wait to play it.

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

It's weird how even years after release PS5 still doesn't feel like a console that has even gotten started yet. PS2, 3 and 4 were great machines with loads of stuff to enjoy and remember. I feel like I'm still waiting for the PS5 to turn up. There's been plenty of good games but nothing that's felt like it's firmly established the console or will last in people's minds long term.

I'm hoping Astro Bot is that. Can't wait to play it.

I feel the same - I don't know how much the pandemic is to blame compared to other factors, but it's hard to believe we're around four years into this generation. If you like 3D platformers, you'll love Astro Bot. Aside from the excellent gameplay, one of the things I particularly like about it is that it wouldn't work quite as well on a console that isn't the PS5 (hence my earlier comment about the Portal) - it utilises the functions of the controller in a way that means it wouldn't feel like the same game if you played it - for example - on the Steam Deck. It would still be a brilliant game, don't get me wrong, but you'd lose something significant. 

2 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I have gone N64 > PS2 > 360 > PS4 > Series X as my 'main' systems over the years. What a disloyal little slag I am.

What made you choose the Series X over the PS5? The fact my digital library was on Playstation kind of locked me to Sony this gen. I did buy a Series S, though. 

Having said that, I've probably played the Switch more than both of them combined throughout the time I've owned all three, so that probably is my 'main' console. 

Just now, RedTwoster said:

What made you choose the Series X over the PS5? The fact my digital library was on Playstation kind of locked me to Sony this gen. I did buy a Series S, though. 

Having said that, I've probably played the Switch more than both of them combined throughout the time I've owned all three, so that probably is my 'main' console. 

I got a Series S early in the generation when the PS5 was utterly impossible to come by. I eventually got a PS5 but noticed I still played the S more as I just preferred the interface, quick resume, game pass etc. Obviously the PS5 pad has some incredible features but I still just prefer the Xbox pad overall. 

A while later I traded in my old phone to CEX and got a couple of hundred quid credit and ended up using that to upgrade to a series X*

The last game I played on the PS5 was Resident Evil 4 and that was purely because, in my 90s mind, Resi is Playstation game. Other than that, if a game is multi-platform I have went with the Series X version every time. I also think the stuff Xbox does with backwards compatibility is really awesome and the system is an excellent media player. 

I havent even plugged my PS5 in for a more than a year. I've contemplated selling it but I know I will eventually get round to Spidey 2, FFVII Rebirth etc. 

*I gifted the Series S to my nephew recently. In the last few years he has had a Switch, a PS4 and a Series S off of me. I have created a monster there.  

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I have gone N64 > PS2 > 360 > PS4 > Series X as my 'main' systems over the years. What a disloyal little slag I am.

I'm not much better when it comes to "main" systems. NES > Megadrive > PS1 > Gamecube > Xbox 360 >Wii U > PS4 > Series X

44 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I got a Series S early in the generation when the PS5 was utterly impossible to come by. I eventually got a PS5 but noticed I still played the S more as I just preferred the interface, quick resume, game pass etc. Obviously the PS5 pad has some incredible features but I still just prefer the Xbox pad overall. 

A while later I traded in my old phone to CEX and got a couple of hundred quid credit and ended up using that to upgrade to a series X*

Is the upgrade form Series S to X worthwhile? I've considered doing this for a while, just to have the higher powered machine - but I'm not entirely sure if I'd even notice it, or if everything is optimised for Series S anyway. 

As far as my main home systems go, I was: 

Amiga > PS1 > PS2 > 360 (which I traded in for...) - PS3, and Wii > PS4/Wii U > PS5/Switch

It doesn't necessarily coincide with the console I consider best for each generation - the Gamecube pisses all over the PS2 in my view.