WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

How linear are they? Do your actions throughout the games have any measurable impact on outcomes, or is the plot more linear

There's a main central plot that is fairly linear but actions have significant impact on the world and the characters. You'll always end up in the same place but there's a decent amount of variety to each playthrough on the way. 

@FLips Got a free trial of Dead Island 2 when all I wanted wanted over Christmas was a mindless open world game and it was still a massive dissapointment. It seemed to be entirely about finding power cubes to allow you into previously fenced off estates. A joyless mess. 

Shame, as the rocker chick character had a strong Cork accent which kept us all really amused for like an hour. 

Thought the same with Dying Light 2. Just polished box ticking. The first Dying Light was great because it had a really crusty, grainy sort of aesthetic. 

The first Dead Rising was a treasure in hindsight. I can see why people hated it but it is choc full of those super video-gamey, unforgiving conventions which just make it so novel and memorable. Doing a panic run to a part of the mall where you knew some orange juice was, because if you didn't reach it your whole run was completely fucked? Awesome. 

1 minute ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Astro Bot is getting unbelievable reviews. Seems to be a must have if you've got a PS5.

I was a little concerned when they announced the review embargo as being the day before the game's release date - that's often a bad sign - and that actually stopped me from pre-ordering it, so bad move, Sony! But yeah - I love a 3D platformer, and I can't wait to play it. The comparisons to Mario Galaxy have me even more excited, as that's an all-timer for me. 

Decided to go back and play a little mini marathon of both Little Nightmares 1 and 2 as they’re very short games.

Still enjoy them so much, not particularly looking forward to Little Nightmares 3 from what I have seen as the creators of the series are currently making an amazing looking game called Reanimal which I can’t wait to play.

I was also going to wait to pick up Astro Bot. But I’ve been swayed by the hype. Astro’s Playroom was delightful and contained one of the greatest video game songs of all time. If the new one can improve on I’m Your GPU, Shadow Of The Erdtree might have a contender for game of the year.

12 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I was also going to wait to pick up Astro Bot. But I’ve been swayed by the hype. Astro’s Playroom was delightful and contained one of the greatest video game songs of all time. If the new one can improve on I’m Your GPU, Shadow Of The Erdtree might have a contender for game of the year.

I was also swayed by the hype and within minutes of playing it I realised it was - short of Zelda being something spectacular - going to be my game of the year. It’s so full of heart and joy, and it’s really creative too - packed with ideas and fun cameos. I’d suggest going into it without reading much or watching reviews, as reviewers are spoiling too many of the cameo appearances and they are particularly fun when you don’t know about them. But it’s not game-ruining. The Mario Galaxy comparisons are very accurate, and it’s without a doubt one of the best games Sony has ever released, and one of the best platform games ever.

• Paid Members

I finally got round to digging up my PS3 this week, it'd been over a decade. Was thankful it and the controller still worked fine. My games collection looked pretty piss-pants, especially because I immediately binned some certified bangers because they've had remasters/Xbox BC releases. I've started rebuilding...

20240904_222438.thumb.jpg.d4e522bfc91230d68b9b2ceb77ca1257.jpg

First pile's mostly stuff I can't wait to replay. The middle pile's shit that was in my collection that I'm meh on and in no rush to play again, I will play Splatterhouse pretty soon though because there's copies regularly going for like £80+ on Ebay and I'll happily have some of that! The last pile's all new stuff I never got around to trying that look like they could be fun, or in the case of Wheelman, hilariously terrible. There's disc only copies of Quantum of Solace, 007 Legends and WET (a game I was nowhere near sad enough to play when it first released) on the top of that pile as well. Can you tell I miss linear action games?

I'm starting a Hard Boiled/Stranglehold double bill tomorrow, it's been 16 long years. I can see myself getting emotional the first time I slide down a banister, then bellyflop onto a food trolley, doing nutshots in slow-motion while doves fly about for no reason at all. We took this era for granted, kids.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

I had a PS2 and a PS4, but briefly switched to Xbox in between so I missed out on the PS3 era. When I see some of the games that I missed out on, it makes me want to pick up a second hand one. Is Goldeneye a remake of the N64 one or something else?

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant

• Paid Members

It's a different thing to the N64 one. A reimagining, I don't think it reviewed too well, but I think I'll like it. I played all the PS2 Bond games last year and had a lot of fun even with the mid titles (Agent Under Fire and Rogue Agent).

Edited by CleetusVanDamme