WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

After that, I started playing Sam & Max Hit The Road. I don't think I've played it since the '90s, so remember very little of it beyond general vibes, and my first impression was just how absolutely gorgeous it is for a game made in the early '90s. The humour is very much of its time, but still holds up in a kind of nostalgic and hokey way.

This was a big game of my youth. Until 2001 we just had an ancient PC with Windows 3.1 that wasn't connected to the internet. It was a piece of shit that struggled to play Championship Manger 93/94 and couldn't run Doom (had to make do with Wolfenstein). We did have a big box with hundreds of pirated game that it could play though, and one of those games was Sam and Max. I didn't have a clue it was based on a comic, and it was years before I found out there was a cartoon. When you don't have the internet you just can't do the research. Or look up walkthroughs, which probably explains why I played it for so long and didn't complete it. There were lots of little gags I liked, but my favourite i think was discovering that if you asked Sam to pick up something that he couldn't repeatedly, he would begin to have a breakdown. 

• Paid Members

For those like me who used to play Dead By Daylight on previous consoles/generations they're adding full (except partially for Switch) Cross-Progression on the 22nd July so if you sync your Steam/PS/Xbox accounts up on to one BHVR account you can access all the DLC/Currency/Content/Etc on one account now. Ideal for me who was super into it on PS4 and Steam but has nothing on his Xbox and doesn't want to start over a third time.

They're also adding a limited time 2 vs 8 mode which sounds like a hoot. Set characters and classes with unique perks and new objectives/gameplay to go with it.

Never been a better time to jump back into it, if you can handle the fact the player base is made up of try hard Twitch streamers.

• Paid Members

Picked up a game called Toem on the recommendation of a friend. It's really interesting. One of those cosy games. You're a person of indeterminate gender (cleverly done) who is given a camera by their gran, and given missions to achieve. Some involve getting pictures of people or places, some just finding things. In every area you get given a card by the guy in the bus station kiosk, and if you get a certain number of them you get free travel to the next town/location. It only takes a couple of hours to "finish", but a few more to "complete". Once I'd finished the story it unlocked a whole new campaign with some interesting day/night mechanics and things. It's cute, and quirky. 

• Paid Members

Finished Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth the other night. Like every other game in the series it's a compelling story packed with characters I love spending time with that doesn't have enough going on mechanically to hold me through its lengthy playtime. The final few chapters of every Yakuza game become a thing where I'm pretty much done with what I want from it and am just grinding through endless, samey battles to get to the credits. But since that comes at about 100 hours in I'm not sure I can really complain.

Also played a bunch of Void Stranger which is an increidble game that I don't have the energy to stick out any longer. A seemingly simple sokoban-style puzzle game on its surface, this has a lot more going on (some of which I probably have no idea is even there yet). It's obviously fantastic, but work eats a good 90% of my brain these days and the thought of doing 250-odd puzzles multiple times to unlock new ideas for progression is exhausting to me, so I'm gonna go watch someone do all the bits I'm too stupid to on YouTube.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I started playing No More Heroes 3. The game starts with fake YouTube videos about a fictional '80s arcade game, which you then play for a bit, then turns into a kind of anime ET rip-off, all before you ever actually see your main character or the title or any indication of what the fuck you're doing, and then you're finally playing as Travis Touchdown and fighting aliens. I died on the first boss, all of fifteen minutes in. 10/10, no notes.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I tried Cyberpunk 2077 back when it was still pretty broken and gave up after a few annoying crashes. I understand it's been pretty much fixed now - is it worth another go? It seemed a pretty generic shooter but is there more depth to it than what you get in those first few hours?

51 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I tried Cyberpunk 2077 back when it was still pretty broken and gave up after a few annoying crashes. I understand it's been pretty much fixed now - is it worth another go? It seemed a pretty generic shooter but is there more depth to it than what you get in those first few hours?

How far did you get? 

It's funny you should say this, because that's the exact situation I was in. I played it on the PS4, wasn't really feeling it, and I came back to it recently on PS5 after buying a PS Portal. There's definitely more depth to it, although it can be a bit of a grimy feeling game at times with murders that feel a bit too real for comfort. 

That said, I'm enjoying the story, and I'm enjoying the gameplay - and the variety it offers. There are frequently multiple solutions to whatever scenario you find yourself in, and you can get creative with whatever approach you take - for example, in one mission I had to break into a facility. I could have gunned my way in, sneaked in or do what I did - which was hijack one of their delivery trucks and get in as a 'fake delivery driver' - but even my road to hijacking the truck was filled with drama and creativity and turned into a mini adventure. 

The customisation options for your character can be a bit daunting, and there are times where I've forgotten all about them - but they do effectively help you play in the style you want to. 

The DLC is really good too, although the story is a bit more 'out there'. 

58 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

You'll probably get a mix of opinions, but I loved it. 

There's definitely depth to the world so long as you're not expecting Deus Ex/New Vegas style role playing. It's similarly not the GTA style chaos simulator the marketing cynically positioned it as, though, so it's sort of in an odd place. I'd describe it as an immersive talky shooter with exploration elements.

On the disappointing side there's no real factions/alignments/the feeling that you can be anyone other than the main character doing his main character shit. There's no way to fuck up one questline by choosing another. No way to drive through an area where 50% of the population suddenly despise and want to kill you. 

But what you do get is a really well curated main story and some fun side quests here and there that commentate on some pretty nifty dystopian/cyberpunk concepts. It's got a lot of little interesting touches, callbacks, spooky stuff etc going on and the cumulative effect - along with the visuals, music etc - does work really well to make it all a bit of a horror. The story starts slow, so I'd give it at least until when Neo comes into the picture. The first few hours are essentially the cold open. 

If you get the full version at a discount price, go for it, because Phantom Liberty's one of the all time DLCs for me, up there with Shivering Isles. Really adds to the game. 

Edit: Oh yeah if you're really not arsed about shooting off guns all the time like in a million other games, doing a build centred around carving people up with your giant katana is totally doable. I didn't handle a gun at all in my first playthrough. Something worth considering to de-FPS it. 

Edited by The Gaffer

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yes the more abilities and weapons you unlock the more you can tailor the game to whatever playstyle you want. You can be stealthy, sneaking into buildings undetected, hacking everything and being non lethal. Or kick the door down, freeze time like its The Matrix and light everyone up with an LMG. Or any one of the huge amount of combinations of playing styles in between with all the mods and weapons in the game.

It is an absolutely huge game with loads of side missions and things to do. It looks incredible as well. I played it a year after release, when they had fixed the big issues and adored it. I went back last year for the DLC as well which is incredible. It adds another 25 hours onto an already massive game. 

I think a few on here are not so high on it but if you already own it, then its definitely one of those games worth giving another shot. It was rushed out when it was not ready tbh which hurt it.

Oh wow, we all posted about this at pretty much the same time! I'm glad to see it's not just me who has been won round by the game. 

I've been rotating between playing this and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door...it's quite the contrast!

2 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

Oh wow, we all posted about this at pretty much the same time! I'm glad to see it's not just me who has been won round by the game. 

I've been rotating between playing this and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door...it's quite the contrast!

Yes I think a lot were put off by the state the game was in on its release. It needed at least another 12 months in development. 

I recently bought a Switch so have a ton of games I want to catch up on. I've been completely addicted to Dave the Diver. With short but sweet bursts of Super Mario Brothers Wonder and Mario Kart 8. I'm coming to end of Dave the Diver and have Breath of the Wild ready to go next as my main game. Very excited to play it.

19 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I recently bought a Switch so have a ton of games I want to catch up on. I've been completely addicted to Dave the Diver. With short but sweet bursts of Super Mario Brothers Wonder and Mario Kart 8. I'm coming to end of Dave the Diver and have Breath of the Wild ready to go next as my main game. Very excited to play it.

I loved Dave the Diver! 

I'm kind of jealous of you, getting to play all of these games for the first time! I loved Mario Odyssey, and if you're a JRPG fan the Xenoblade games are well worth your time - the original and 3 are particularly good. 2 is a bit divisive, but I really enjoyed it. 

Pikmin 4 is sensational; while Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door and Super Mario RPG are brimming with joy. 

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic both in terms of gameplay and plot, and Pokemon Legends Arceus is one of the best Pokemon games ever. I could list game after game - most you'll undoubtedly be aware of, but there are so many great games to play - it's easily my favourite console of all time. 

41 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I loved Dave the Diver! 

I'm kind of jealous of you, getting to play all of these games for the first time! I loved Mario Odyssey, and if you're a JRPG fan the Xenoblade games are well worth your time - the original and 3 are particularly good. 2 is a bit divisive, but I really enjoyed it. 

Pikmin 4 is sensational; while Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door and Super Mario RPG are brimming with joy. 

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic both in terms of gameplay and plot, and Pokemon Legends Arceus is one of the best Pokemon games ever. I could list game after game - most you'll undoubtedly be aware of, but there are so many great games to play - it's easily my favourite console of all time. 

I think I have most of those on the stupidly long list of games I want to get. Is it right the Xenoblade games don't have a continuous story and I could start with the latest one and see if I get on with it?

It's a great bit of kit tbh and seems to have every great indie game on it. Including ones like Dave the Diver and Animal Well that are not available on Xbox. Only problem tbh is the price of the bloody games, this Nintendo tax is not cheap but I have setup a deku deals wish list so when games I want go on offer physical or digital I am notified.

2 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think I have most of those on the stupidly long list of games I want to get. Is it right the Xenoblade games don't have a continuous story and I could start with the latest one and see if I get on with it?

Not exactly. You could definitely play any one game in the series and enjoy it, without any prior knowledge of the previous games, but the game world is shared and there are some recurring characters. The Future Redeemed DLC for XC3 wraps up the plots to all three games, while being chunky enough to essentially be a fourth game.

But you could feasibly ignore that and play them in any order and enjoy them. I’d recommend that you play in order from 1-3, though. All three games are really good, 3 being the best one - and the darkest.