WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What's wrong with it? 

It's slow, clunky as hell, frustrating as shit and most importantly is no fun.

I've spent an hour fiddling with settings but keep getting the same result. Weapon shots are super slow and are reversed very easily. The AI not recognising prompts to pick weapons up so you're just stood there. Instant recovery powers of opponents when you've dead and buried them. Any interaction trying to do table spots, break the cell open, position items is a slog. Reversals galore with the prompts/timing off by half a second.

Community creations worked ok but after downloading items they didn't recognise arenas/championships/wrestlers in any regular match setting.

I understand it's a new game, I've got to get used to it but it feels half finished and any fun you usually can have with it has been sucked dry.

I'd say wait until the price goes down and hopefully tweak it in patches. There's something in there but they've forgot the fun. I really hate being negative but it just feels like gamers are being ripped the piss out of in terms of quality/price/gameplay. Between this and Dying Light 2 in a short space of time, please forgive me for blowing a fuse for being a fool for paying a considerable amount to be pissed upon.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, Rule One said:

I'm on Menu book 30 at the moment and it's not got much better in terms of using all your cash to upgrade for races.

The quickest cash grab I'm using is Special Route X which unlocked on the Americas racing group. I use a nearly maxed out Chevrolet Corvette C7 '14 which is currently at 837bhp. With that a clean race nets 45k in about 4:30 of race time.

I'm not enjoying being stuck 20-30 secs behind every race on rolling starts especially on American car only races as they handle like utter trash and one small mistake ruins a hard fought race. Laguna Seca being a particular drag for braking/cornering.

I managed to scrape up enough to buy and nearly max out a Ferrari 458 which is tremendous fun especially on easy tracks with enough room to pull off drifts. Brakes/handles like a dream.

Oh and Nürburgring in the absolute wet is hell.

@scratchdj Cheers for posting that vid. Me and my son used to mess about on iRacing but I gave up after a few months because I kept getting motion sickness. I bet that chair is fucker to get out of if you really need the toilet but does look significantly comfier than playing on a regular office/chair desk.

Great shout on the special route X and the Corvette c7 14 been using it to get money to grab one of them time limited cars, about half way through at the moment but will be hopefully getting it by the end of the week, thanks the advice my friend 

• Paid Members

I'm playing through Guardians of the Galaxy on Xbone, seeing as it was recently added to Game Pass. For those of you looking for something more linear (even more linear than Fallen Order), I'd recommend this.

The game itself is good, nothing groundbreaking or anything but the beauty is the interactions between the main characters. It's so fluid and natural all the time. Even if I disappear to find some credits, Rocket starts moaning about where I'm running off to now and it sparks a discussion with the others- usually ending with Drax making some comment about Gamora planning to turn on them all. Good fun. 

46 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm playing through Guardians of the Galaxy on Xbone, seeing as it was recently added to Game Pass. For those of you looking for something more linear (even more linear than Fallen Order), I'd recommend this.

The game itself is good, nothing groundbreaking or anything but the beauty is the interactions between the main characters. It's so fluid and natural all the time. Even if I disappear to find some credits, Rocket starts moaning about where I'm running off to now and it sparks a discussion with the others- usually ending with Drax making some comment about Gamora planning to turn on them all. Good fun. 

Is it better than Avengers? (if you've played that) .. I know that got a huge slating and I think it made people a little wary about GOTG. I imagine it's more fun simply because the characters are more entertaining anyway.

47 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is it better than Avengers? (if you've played that) .. I know that got a huge slating and I think it made people a little wary about GOTG. I imagine it's more fun simply because the characters are more entertaining anyway.

Havent played them myself, but Ive watched my son playing through both games. GOTG seems much better, and he seems to have enjoyed it more (Despite being really into the Avengers characters). Hes played right through GOTG over the last few days and finished it yesterday.

GOTG seems a much more linear story rather than missions, which seems better to me, and doesnt have all the nonsense about playing online, buying outfits etc.

Or if it does, it much less obvious about it.

• Paid Members

From what I gather GOTG is more of an actual videogame with a story, whereas Avengers is one of those "live services" where you login/play daily and smash through levels to earn XP and currency for costumes etc. I don't think it's pay to win, but I remember there being a backlash over something. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, alanchiz said:

GOTG seems a much more linear story rather than missions, which seems better to me, and doesnt have all the nonsense about playing online, buying outfits etc.

Or if it does, it much less obvious about it.

Very much so, a bit of a throwback in that respect. There are alternative costumes for each character, but only 9 or so each and I'm pretty sure you find these in the game. Whereas in Avengers there are LOADS for each character, most of them cost you money.

38 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

From what I gather GOTG is more of an actual videogame with a story, whereas Avengers is one of those "live services" where you login/play daily and smash through levels to earn XP and currency for costumes etc. I don't think it's pay to win, but I remember there being a backlash over something. 

There is that side to it, but there is a game to enjoyed without the need or desire to do daily XP challenges and ploughing money in to get aesthetic stuff that has no bearing on the game as such. Bit like Fortnite in that respect. You can easily play the game (if you are under 12 or a nonce) without having to throw money into getting pointless skins. I think many games are going down this path, which I suppose at least doesn't unlevel the online playing field, unlike with GTA where the more you spend the greater the chances are of succeeding.

• Paid Members

That new Chocobo GP game on Switch has the season pass mechanic in a full price game. 

I hear a lot of people saying it's a really good game in terms of the kart stuff, but they want nothing to do with the paid season pass content and daily play bonuses when they've already paid for a full price game. 

Live services are quite necessary unfortunately. It’s the cost of not having games costing £100 or whatever they should cost comparatively to 20 years ago. Not that it’s not getting there. As long as it’s additional to a full game experience and they don’t have shitty pay to win designed gameplay I see no issue.

Fortnite probably has the best model of  paid for additional content as in nothing you buy makes you better and you know exactly what you’re getting before you pay your money. All on top of a free game experience. It’s way too expensive and a little predatory for my liking but that’s on parents to make sure no money can change hands without their consent.

Isn't all the Avengers content rolled in to the price of the game, albeit a shitty game? I think the issue with that was it was rolled out way too slowly without much of a road map and the game is grindy as fuck.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Live services are quite necessary unfortunately. It’s the cost of not having games costing £100 or whatever they should cost comparatively to 20 years ago. Not that it’s not getting there. As long as it’s additional to a full game experience and they don’t have shitty pay to win designed gameplay I see no issue.

Well that's a load of bollocks as evidenced by the reports of publishers laying off development staff while reporting record profits and paying executives massive bonuses. If you want me to pay a "membership" to play your game give the game to me for free, and give me something for the money that isn't just a new costume. Costumes, characters etc used to be unlockable through gameplay.

I'll can understand adding additional characters to fighting games over the following few years because it can breathe new life into the game over time, avoid new players getting overwhelmed by being immediately faced with a roster of 60 characters, and in the case of Street Fighter 5 Capcom managed to rebuild some of the goodwill they pissed away with the state the game launched in by the end. 

Likewise extra DLC campaigns and multiplayer maps can do similar, assuming they're not something that's been deliberately carved out of the game at launch to be sold at a later date, but making me pay a subscription fee on top of the money I've paid for a game just so I can try to earn chance the drive a different coloured car? There's no way that's adding to the price of a game at launch. 

15 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Well that's a load of bollocks as evidenced by the reports of publishers laying off development staff while reporting record profits and paying executives massive bonuses. If you want me to pay a "membership" to play your game give the game to me for free, and give me something for the money that isn't just a new costume. Costumes, characters etc used to be unlockable through gameplay.

I'll can understand adding additional characters to fighting games over the following few years because it can breathe new life into the game over time, avoid new players getting overwhelmed by being immediately faced with a roster of 60 characters, and in the case of Street Fighter 5 Capcom managed to rebuild some of the goodwill they pissed away with the state the game launched in by the end. 

Likewise extra DLC campaigns and multiplayer maps can do similar, assuming they're not something that's been deliberately carved out of the game at launch to be sold at a later date, but making me pay a subscription fee on top of the money I've paid for a game just so I can try to earn chance the drive a different coloured car? There's no way that's adding to the price of a game at launch. 

I stated that as long as it’s additional to a full game experience. If enthusiasts want to throw money away on pointless cosmetics that’s up to them but as long as you get a £50 games worth of game to play before they  start throwing on extras then what’s the problem? Nobody is forcing the weirdos playing DOA to pay £70 for a a couple of peep hole bikini outfits. But if said peep hole bikini outfit suddenly adds a mechanic that makes the game much better and easier then fuck them. I don’t subscribe to any game nor have I ever played a game with pay to win mechanics, my kids play Roblox, Minecraft and Fortnite and the price of a single copy of Minecraft aside I’ve never spent a penny on them.

Games take an age to produce now so it’s fair play for them to squeeze as much money from them because it’ll be another 5 years before the next instalment comes out, the lay offs like at Activision are completely avoidable but that’s mega corp business in general isn’t it? 

Edited by Mr_Danger