WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Elden Ring has received overwhelmingly positive reviews today, some claiming it's the best open world game they've ever played.

I wasn't that interested as the market for open world games with that kind of setting seems a bit saturated but that kind of praise can't be ignored. Might have to give it a go next week. 

35 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Elden Ring has received overwhelmingly positive reviews today, some claiming it's the best open world game they've ever played.

I wasn't that interested as the market for open world games with that kind of setting seems a bit saturated but that kind of praise can't be ignored. Might have to give it a go next week. 

It will be reviewed through the roof like all From software stuff. In reality they are marmite games for alot of gamers. I've tried a couple of the Dark Souls games and Sekiro and given up on all of them. They are brutally hard, prepare yourself for that. I can see how well designed they are but I just don't have the patience for that difficulty anymore. You may love it, so don't want to put you or anyone off. Just words of warning on the difficulty, you will die, alot.

The reviews have me tempted too, but checking out some gameplay videos it just doesn't seem like my kind of jam. I might get to it when it drops in price but it looks very - I don't know - action heavy. I like open worlds where you can goof off and just role play some mundane tasks or ideas for hours on end. I'm sure it's easier and more accessible, but it still strikes me as very dour and serious gamer. In the spare few hours a month I have to game, I'll still chuck on ESO or Fallout 76 so I can just have a quick run around and do something stupid. 

Still, it's obviously going to be an amazing ride for those who are into it. Just interesting how tastes are evolving I guess. Your average Bethesda open world with all its bugs and charms seems terminally uncool compared to this sort of fare now. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I like open worlds where you can goof off and just role play some mundane tasks or ideas for hours on end.

I haven't played it yet but it is almost certainly not this. I can't see it suddenly having base building and mundane fetch quests. 

It's only really the non existant checkpointing and bosses that make From Soft games so hard, once you learn the base mechanics they're nowhere near as hard as a lot of people think. What they absolutely don't do is respect your time so I highly doubt you'll be able to chill out and go chop wood and collect mushrooms for a bit. That sort of thing is usually reserved for finding a prosperous drop rate from a fairly easy to kill monster in From games and even then you can't really switch off. 

• Paid Members

Nintendo have bought SRD, by which the report means they've finally brought them in house. If you look at the list of things they've done for Nintendo it's pretty much been every big hitter for all the consoles. 

"Nintendo Acquires a Studio It's Worked With Since 1983 - IGN" https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-acquires-studio-srd?amp=1

• Paid Members

Go Straight dispatched today and I got my email link to the PDF version. The chapters are all done chronologically, but the games are listed alphabetically in the contents which is an interesting design choice. You can see how much love the author has for the genre in his writing. It goes through decade by decade, lists what systems each game was released on as well. It's going to be some good reading. Physical copy will be delivered on Monday, and is probably going to be a big bugger. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

The PDF is 53MB if that's any indication of how weighty a tome it'll be when it comes. There's a great preface where the author explains the elements of a good beat em up, and the differences between a belt scroller and a 2D brawler, each game gets at least 2 pages explaining the premise and what makes it unique, and the more well known/influential titles get a little more in depth. He goes into the various ports of the original Double Dragon, a little feature about the beast forms and some of the enemies in Altered Beast. It's good. Well worth it, and if you're worried the price is too high it lets you defer the payment by a month, or pay by 3 installments. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Just ordered this, looking forward to it arriving.

Did they email you the ebook link as well?