WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 8/25/2023 at 6:01 AM, Loki said:

So maybe I'm late to this any everyone realised this already, but this isn't even a games console.  You have to already have a PS5, turned on and running the game in your house, to stream to this.  So forget any ideas about playing it on the train or whatever.  It's literally just a wifi screen and controller.

Rubbish.

Pretty sure you can't even use your own headphones/buds either. This is bombing hard and will be discontinued in 12 months. Who is it for? What is it for? What does it do that my GameSir, phone and Jabra Buds don't?

So Starfield is out this week. I can't recall there ever being such an arms folded, tentative mood for the pre launch hype of such a major title. 

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's like lessons finally from Cyberpunk, but a lot of it too seems to be this "Well Bethesda don't really know how to make decent games do they?" retcon that's been all the rage in the era of clickbait thumbnail YouTube videos where people spend two hours talking about how the two hundred they spent playing the game - actually - were quite shallow. 

To be fair I don't think anything we've seen from the game pre launch has blown anyone away either. The main selling point seems to be the extraordinary size of it, but from what I understand a lot of the environments are procedurally generated. The "Explore 1,000 planets" thing is clearly classic Todd Howard kayfabing and really it's on you if you  take that to mean 1,000 individual, hand crafted worlds. 

The bigger issue for me is how it being in space means you get a cutscene every time you bounce between planets. You can't actually simply fly from one to the other. I know games like GTA and Elder Scrolls secretly load all the time anyway but a huge part of the immersion of those games for me is the fact that the entire open world all seems there and alive for you at once. You can start at one corner of the map, and you can walk all the way to the other in the same day/night cycle. 

Everything else looks typical Bethesda. Factions, wooden characters, okay combat. So I don't think it's going to be groundbreaking or anything, but again it's typical Bethesda. That usually means for me - too - that warts and all it's going to be at least a hundred hours of genuinely brilliant exploration.

Not even sure will I pick it up yet as I'd have to source a Series X (I had one, but I have a weird neurodivergence where I trade in consoles on a whim) but it's pretty tempting with summer setting in. 

I’ve played recent go-anywhere games like No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous and they are often just incredibly boring.  In the old days of Elite, your imagination filled in the gaps and the trading/combat elements were incredibly fun.  But Dangerous was just TOO big, and NMS was too empty.

Bethesda seem to have gone for a balance so you can explore a LOT but stand a much better chance of finding something worthwhile.  Every time you land on a bit of a planet you’ll have a map the size of Skyrim to explore ffs.  Getting back in your shuttle to go to the other side of the planet rather than walking seems like a good idea.

I reckon I stand half a chance of getting to see some cool stuff and having fun in Starfield before I run out of steam.  Finishing games isn’t the point for me, it’s about visiting strange new worlds.

Edited by Loki

NMS is one of my go to games when I just want to piss about and relax. Really wanted to love Elite but always tapped out eventually.

Also the devs/studio abandoning Elite on console, basically killed the game for me.

Anyway. 

A few hours into Xenoblade chronicles 3: Future Redeemed and I'm enjoying the story/characters but it seems to be relying on checklist game design, to pad out it's runtime.

Think I'm finally burnt out on XBC3 (over 130 hours in the base game) so I'm gonna start a fresh game of Shin Megami Tensei V and hopefully actually finish it, this time. 

I restarted Disco Elysium and I'm finding so many things I've never seen before, wasted my money on a boardgame and found out you can actually play a game of it with Kim! He beat my arse because I'm super commie and the game is practically Monopoly but even more capitalistic, but I still loved that little interaction.

• Paid Members

Been playing a few things lately. As those in The Simpsons thread saw I dug my old NES out and have been playing Bart vs The Space Mutants which shows up on a couple of "Worst NES Games" lists and was generally panned. I'm going to say it though, it's really not that bad.
The controls leave a lot to be desired and the game falls of a cliff after the first level in Springfield, but it's not as awful as people say and despite what everyone else says it's better than the other 2 NES Simpsons games.
Despite owning the game for about 30 years and never having beat the 2nd Level, my recent attempts have seen me reach Level 4 which by all accounts is the hardest stage in the game. People cite the game as being unfairly difficult but a quick Youtube check showed me there's dozens of extra lives and shortcuts hidden all around the first 3 stages so after a bit of practice I can handily get quite far in it consistently now. If the game had the time it needed and wasn't rushed out for launch I think it may be looked upon much more fondly.

Aside from that I've been playing a lot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre with my wife and mates and that's a really fun game with a lot of unique and interesting ideas. The balance seems quite fair on both sides and there's plenty of customisation and skill trees to mess about with. Probably the best game of this type since Dead by Daylight. I've also started Sea of Stars today which I really enjoyed the demo of. I'm about an hour or so in which is essentially the tutorial. Beautiful little RPG that comes across as very authentic and not just a tribute. Excited to sink my teeth into it.

Fair play for getting the NES working, I found Mrs Loki's in the attic and got it up and running and it burnt out after the first day, the capacitors on those old consoles tend to pop.  I now have a non-working NES and Megadrive, but I don't have the heart to throw them out...

29 minutes ago, Loki said:

Fair play for getting the NES working, I found Mrs Loki's in the attic and got it up and running and it burnt out after the first day, the capacitors on those old consoles tend to pop.  I now have a non-working NES and Megadrive, but I don't have the heart to throw them out...

Get a cheap soldering iron from Aldi, they're often not the most difficult things to fix unless it's a cap that's leaked acid everywhere..

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Been playing a few things lately. As those in The Simpsons thread saw I dug my old NES out and have been playing Bart vs The Space Mutants which shows up on a couple of "Worst NES Games" lists and was generally panned. I'm going to say it though, it's really not that bad.
The controls leave a lot to be desired and the game falls of a cliff after the first level in Springfield, but it's not as awful as people say and despite what everyone else says it's better than the other 2 NES Simpsons games.
Despite owning the game for about 30 years and never having beat the 2nd Level, my recent attempts have seen me reach Level 4 which by all accounts is the hardest stage in the game. People cite the game as being unfairly difficult but a quick Youtube check showed me there's dozens of extra lives and shortcuts hidden all around the first 3 stages so after a bit of practice I can handily get quite far in it consistently now. If the game had the time it needed and wasn't rushed out for launch I think it may be looked upon much more fondly.

I have fond memories of playing Bart Vs The Space Mutants on my Master System. I don't think I ever got past the second or third level, but back in those days if you'd bought a game you'd stick at it, for a while at least. Even as a kid I knew it was a bit crap, but the novelty of seeing The Simpsons characters and locations in the game made it worthwhile for me.

I probably haven't played the game in close to thirty years but I still regularly get the music from that first level stuck in my head.