WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I went straight into Miles Morales after finishing Spider Man for the first time, I didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as Spider Man, as mentioned previously I noticed the completion percentage was way to high for how short I’d been playing but I’ve got a massive backlog and maybe playing through Spider-Man just before had me getting a bit bored of the game and wanted to get through it as quick as possible.

Miles was a perfect length for me. Sometimes I think games are too long and they just drag them out.. and while I get it because they're so damn expensive these days, my time for gaming is pretty limited now so it can feel like a game can take me forever to actually complete. I can see why some people would want and expect more though.

I feel like people fussing about how long games are (not pointing to anyone on here, just in general) has just led to endless busy work and fetch and quest side missions. 

I guess it's like modern blockbusters really. Somehow fandom has equated the length of something with value for money rather than the quality. 

Some of the best games I've ever played only took an hour or three to finish. People might have complained if they'd cost sixty quid but I've much fonder memories of them than longer games that did.

• Paid Members
On 4/18/2022 at 10:47 PM, Tommy! said:

I've also picked up a couple of assassin creed games, never played one before but one of them is black flag which I'm assuming is a bit different to the others

It's total shit so far lads, biggest hype up to let down since bioshock.

Im not too far in but it's a lot of holding down R2 with the occasional awful detection on an object and some iffy fighting thrown in.

The real let down is the story, or more specifically the framing device. I was aware of the "dream / memory reconstruction" thing but though I could ignore all that shite and enjoy the meat and potatoes of pirates and assains, but no. Health gets too low and it's flicking to "break the connection" and so on.

It also has the Arkham Asylum thing of the camera being a bit too close but, unlike Batman, it's very jerky and sensitive and also seems to be constantly trying to track my blokes arse so his upper body fills the screen and makes 3rd person a bit frustrating.

On the plus side I got Red Alert 2 installed with a bit of help from a C&C fansite and despite looking like a blurry shambles next to HD C&C1 it's still great fun to play.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Some of the best games I've ever played only took an hour or three to finish. People might have complained if they'd cost sixty quid but I've much fonder memories of them than longer games that did.

Absolutely. The best game ever made (Portal) is only a few hours long, but it's worth it because of how it was bundled. This is where the joy of indie games can come in.

re: Shadow of Mordor, I enjoyed the sequel a lot, but it definitely felt overstuffed, took too long to get into the stronghold management, and yeah, the loot boxes. Those orcs are completely amazing though

I finished Life Is Strange: True Colours today and I definitely enjoyed it but I think I'd still rate it last out of the games so far, on par with 2 but I didn't get half as emotionally invested as I did with the first game and Before The Storm. I'm hoping they branch out a little further in future, I think I've had enough twee indie kids for the moment.

It was great to have a certain character from an earlier game play such a big part in it tho.

Spoiler

Steph from BTS, and I obviously picked her to romance instead of the very generic dude.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

It was great to have a certain character from an earlier game play such a big part in it tho.

You probably know this, but there's a DLC expansion dedicated to that character. Nothing too heavy but I thought it did a nice job of raising and handling further LGBTQ topics.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I posted a few weeks back about my iRacing exploits and thought I’d update incase it’s of interest to anyone.

I’m currently competing in the Global Mazda MX5 series which is the most ridiculous fun. Annoyingly, I missed the first race and so I’m missing quite a few points in the championship, but I’m still doing quite well.

For the last 6 weeks, I’ve managed one 1st place (from pole), three 2nd places, one 3rd place and one 4th.

As it stands right now, I’m ranked 19th in the world and 1st in the UK for my league.

I got a message from someone I raced against last week inviting me to compete in a series that would be broadcast with full commentary and live timings. I’ve signed up and even got a livery designed on Fiverr.

D8BC3BC1-616C-48FB-B6F1-7922A8129670.thumb.jpeg.7831c6ea726845193aadfd66c953b686.jpeg

6C5AD3CA-8383-4CFE-8BD7-3C98730953C6.thumb.jpeg.c37321ecb7efaf65984486e661b447d6.jpeg

3AA9AFE7-D013-43CF-9DD2-2B4B3D10E99F.thumb.jpeg.e20ac56fb6f50883f2231805ae155ebc.jpeg

AD369239-2117-405D-B72A-EAD580E6211F.thumb.jpeg.1f007e9741cf3261a5ace15bf7f41c06.jpeg

B94FAE46-C001-486B-AD19-56EF0CC41FD1.thumb.jpeg.2e6bfa0cab0168ced0855d0dbe8fe323.jpeg

I’m starting to get a feel for how to “arrive and drive”, so I’m finding that I can go relatively quick around a circuit I don’t know within a few laps, something I never thought I’d be able to do. That all said, the hill is an incredibly steep and difficult one to climb, with the real pro’s driving insanely well, consistently.

The thing I’m finding most surprising is how good the community is. There is generally a good sense of sportsmanship and the vast majority of racers abide by the iRacing code. If you’re clearly faster than someone, they’ll rightly do little to defend and move over to let you through. When the racing is competitive, though, it’s possibly the most fun I’ve had driving a car - real or otherwise.

My 4th place came today. I only had 3 laps to practice a new track and qualified 8th. I managed to get into 5th after the first 2 laps and then had an 8 lap battle for fourth that ended when I finally passed him on the very last corner. The message I received afterwards from the other driver was a nice change to the abuse I’m normally used to from the kids on FIFA!

That's brilliant. Is there any way you can get a UKFF shoutout on your car's livery?

I finished Miles Morales tonight. It was short, but fun. The story was really good. I've collected Spider-Man the cat, and am just mopping up the last few side missions and crimes for the 100%. I may start a new game+ to unlock the last constume, then leave it for a while and go back to finish off the Peter Parker DLC campaigns, or crack through all the Lego Marvel games I picked up in the sale sometime last year.

23 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Definitely this. A Short Hike takes no time at all to finish, even if you do everything that there is to do, but it's one of those games that has just stuck with me as an absolutely wonderful experience. Same goes for Far: Lone Sails, which is quite a unique experience. I also loved Everyone Has Gone to the Rapture, which tells its story in such an impactful way.

10 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

You probably know this, but there's a DLC expansion dedicated to that character. Nothing too heavy but I thought it did a nice job of raising and handling further LGBTQ topics.

Yeah that sadly didn't come with the Gamepass version but I might still pick it up as I think I can buy DLC for GP games.

I'm hoping Izzie is given some time there, I wanted to know more but she was only a voice in the main game.

19 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm hoping Izzie is given some time there, I wanted to know more but she was only a voice in the main game.

I could be misremembering but I think she features a little bit via text messages. Don't expect her to show up in person, in any case.

Edit: If you're interested in how the team behind LiS 1&2 handle a trans protagonist, I think Tell Me Why is on Game Pass.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members

I managed to 100% Miles Morales. Only took me about 10 hours? Started a New Game Plus to maybe try and platinum it sometime in future. 

I am definitely in the market for something a bit more accessible at the moment. The two games I've played most in 2022 are Hades and Elden Ring. What a contrast: Hades has that pick-up-and-play effect that means you can spend half an hour on it and feel gratified. With Elden Ring, it's beginning to feel like a full-time job. Having COVID helped me to put 83 hours into it to date, but I am at the point where I feel like I'm hitting my head against the wall.

I'd certainly welcome any recommendations of games that you can play in short, quickfire bursts. All while I wait with my lad in hand for God of War: Ragnarok.

2 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

I'd certainly welcome any recommendations of games that you can play in short, quickfire bursts. All while I wait with my lad in hand for God of War: Ragnarok.

I've really enjoyed Tunic so far. It's basically like old SNES Zeldas but with more difficulty. It looks great with a nice soundtrack and it's great to explore with little in the way of guidance and you work out the world for yourself. Though you can play in relatively short bursts, I find myself hooked until I can finish whichever section I'm in.