WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

The last "mainline" Pokémon game was Sword/Shield which was gen 8. Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl was gen 4, but there was also the Let's Go ones from a couple of years back, so I wonder whether that sold well enough for Nintendo to stick a gen 2 version of that put. There's a Pokémon Unite event going on at the moment as well though, so I reckon it might be to do with that. 

• Paid Members

I bought one of sword or shield, my first since red or green. It was great but incredibly repetitive. I'm sure for most that's the point but battling faceless bum #64 for the nth time wore thin before I completed it 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I bought one of said or shield, my first since red or green. It was great but incredibly repetitive. I'm sure for most that's the point but battling faceless bum #64 for the nth time wore thin before I completed it 

The gameplay loop hasn't really changed in the 25 years since the first generation. They try to garnish it with extra features and the graphics advance, but it's ostensibly the same game. This is also why a lot of people were singing the praises of Legends when it came out. It's a very different gameplay experience. 

My copy of Go Straight arrived today, and unpacking it was such an experience. The shipping bag had the Bitmap Books logo all over it, and there was some really nice art on the box it came in.

The book itself is pretty special. I don't want to take it out of the cellophane, but I also know it'd be a lot of fun to just open it to a random page and have a read, but I'm enjoying just reading the digital copy on my phone.

The digital copy has a little "prepared exclusively for (name)", which is a nice touch, but also a great way of tracking somebody down if it ends up getting shared on a torrent site or suchlike.

Hopefully they do one about fighting games at some point in the future. Heck if I wasn't such a mess I'd try and do it myself, but I don't have the resources for it. 

IMG_20220226_162635.jpg

IMG_20220226_162748.jpg

IMG_20220226_162802.jpg

IMG_20220226_163050.jpg

IMG_20220226_163103_edit_5896103125349282.jpg

IMG_20220226_163013_edit_5896114117000842.jpg

• Paid Members

It's a great read. I wish I had access to all my old ROMs and one of those random number generators so I could just stream and play these things at random. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Well I'll be buggered, they've announced a new gen Pokemon series already- Violet and Scarlet. They haven't brought out a new generation this soon after the last gen since gold & silver, have they?

And one of the starters is basically Donald Duck!

20220227_161031.jpg.fd89a0d1ede24c175150ecca5df2d601.jpg

• Paid Members

Also some new free add-ons for Legends Arceus should have arrived today. 

It tends to be about 2-3 years between main series releases, and gen 8 released the end of 2019. I think an external dev did the gen 4 remake, which is why it bucked that trend of being a remake of a previous gen in the current generation's style. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Played enough of Horizon: Forbidden West to give some proper thoughts on it now.

I think overall I would have to say that this game is pretty decent but overrated. I know plenty of people say this about Horizon but its true imo, it seems to borrow almost everything from other AAA games and do them not quite as well.

I dont think the game is any better or worse than your average Assassins Creed.

The Good

• It looks absolutely fantastic, certainly on the PS5 anyway. I've not had any real tech issues other than some quite noticeable pop-in.
  • The map is enormous and there is nice variety in the environments.
  • The soundtrack is really excellent.
  • The ranged combat is pretty satisfying.

The Not So Good

• I find the story and characters incredibly boring
  • The main story is pretty much a big extended fetch quest. Its pretty much go to an area, fight a boss, retrieve something and bring it back to your base. Repeat. 
  • The upgrades to your equipment and skill tree seems tacked on and quite shallow to me. It seems like it barely makes a difference.
  • I found the hand holding extremely annoying. You literally can be standing for like 3 seconds and Aloy will say "maybe I should scan and look for somewhere to climb" etc. 
  • The climbing is quite poor compared to Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. 

Agree about the main story. Story always seems to suffer the most when it comes to open world games.

I quite like the characters though.

About 50 hours into the game (cleaning up some side content before finishing the main story) so it must be doing something right to keep me going.

• Paid Members

I got mine this morning. And yes it's a large and heavy tome. A bit disappointed that they haven't covered WWF Superstars in the book.

The book is great and full of facts. The gatefold sections have as high a quality feel to them as the rest of the book. 

Great value and highly recommended.