WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Had a read of an article that was suggested to me this morning that sheds a bit more light on the siruation if it's true. Apparently the PS5 version of GTA online was supposed to launch this month, but because it's not ready Rockstar have delayed it because it's not ready yet, and presumably Take 2 have decided to push the also not quite ready yet remastered trilogy as a stopgap. I think there was a link to another article saying there'll be patches to come to fix it, but we know it'll be Grove Street Games that get the blame for it not being done very well. Some of the bug videos on YouTube make for interesting viewing. 

I know the PC versions are fucked but - subjectivity on the art direction aside - they're nothing more or less than patchy ease of life upgrades on aged titles that were some of the world's best fifteen years ago. 

The way the publishers have pursued modders in the lead up to this is up for debate, and the collection is priced too high, but a metacriric average of 0.5 just screams bandwaggoning of the worst kind and a sort of entitled fervour to recreate the Cyberpunk debacle because it makes for good internet drama, along with the requisite endless EVERYTHING WRONG WITH videos from hack YouTubers. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The way the publishers have pursued modders in the lead up to this is up for debate, and the collection is priced too high, but a metacriric average of 0.5 just screams bandwaggoning of the worst kind and a sort of entitled fervour to recreate the Cyberpunk debacle because it makes for good internet drama, along with the requisite endless EVERYTHING WRONG WITH videos from hack YouTubers. 

Of course they're entitled, they paid for a game published by a AAA-developer that should fucking work correctly and not look shit. Don't blame the consumer when a product falls massively short of the mark and people make (extremely entertaining) videos about it, and don't blame the modders for fixing bugs and ironing out issues that should've been dealt with by the developers before shipping. 

I played Vice City for a few hours over the weekend. I started off enjoying it and I do think it actually looks good - but as you play the game longer you start to notice more where they've not had time to work on minor characters designs, stuff in the background  etc - I'm assuming this along with the glitches/bugs will be the stuff that will be patched afterwards.

What's more disappointing for me is I think the controls are actually how they want them to be and they won't get sorted - I got suckered in by the GTA V controls hype but to be honest that just feels like they've added a weapon wheel and swapped accelerate to R2 - the controls feel really clunky and make the game increasingly frustrating to play.

If they just wanted a simple visual tune up - GTA IV would've probably been a better bet for a remaster as I think that would benefit from a vibrant texture pack makeover so its not quite as grey - and the controls and gameplay wouldn't feel like its aged as badly like the GTA III games seem to have.

45 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Of course they're entitled, they paid for a game published by a AAA-developer that should fucking work correctly and not look shit. Don't blame the consumer when a product falls massively short of the mark and people make (extremely entertaining) videos about it, and don't blame the modders for fixing bugs and ironing out issues that should've been dealt with by the developers before shipping. 

I'm not blaming consumers or modders, I'm implying there's a level of subtext within this that goes beyond the gross simplification of Goodguy Gamers Vs. Big Bad Publishers. 

It's proper devil's advocate territory - I get it - but I stand by the fact that a 0.5 average score on Metacritic and an extremely memeified stream of bugs and funny moments somewhat misrepresent how good or bad these games actually are. 

What we have here is a collection of port upgrades that were announced at the eleventh hour with little to no developer big-ups or proper looks under the hood. It's overpriced - absolutely - but then vote with your wallets and don't day one the thing. I did, but then spending on games is my only remaining vice. I had incredibly low expectations and just wanted to crash around in taxis listening to the trance station.

You've linked to a good example there, but there's clearly an influx of copycat rage gimmick grifters out there who fund their $250 a month gaming expenditure through their Patreon so they can make endless videos moaning about it all, and most of them are complete shit. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, The Curious Orange said:

I played Vice City for a few hours over the weekend. I started off enjoying it and I do think it actually looks good - but as you play the game longer you start to notice more where they've not had time to work on minor characters designs, stuff in the background  etc - I'm assuming this along with the glitches/bugs will be the stuff that will be patched afterwards.

Here's the thing. Nobody should have to pay £60 for de-facto Betas.

Absolutely, the trilogy as a whole should either have been delayed like the next gen GTA V's have been - or possibly gone with releasing them individually in 6 month intervals over the next year and given the devs more time on each game for quality control, if the publishers decided they absolutely needed to release a GTA game in time for Christmas.

They're fantastic. Some of the DF Retro stuff is great to have on in the background, especially some of the older E3 press conferences. That Sony - 2005 I think - where they kept mentioning the processor's speed then revealed the PS3 would cost about 600 quid was great car crash viewing at the time. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Double post? You betcha. 

They've put Halo Infinite's multiplayer online a month early for the Xbox 20th anniversary. Apparently it's not available across the board right now for everyone but should be soon. 

They've also done a massive dump of new backward compat games:

spacer.png

TimeSplitters. It's finally happened! 

And 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. A literal game where G-Unit get fucked out of some money by Middle Eastern concert promoters and get given a human skull as collateral. 

• Paid Members

Finally! I've been begging for Max Payne 3, MK9 and Binary Domain to get the BC treatment for years. I'd forgotten all about the Conan God of War knock off until now, that was a fun time. I quite fancy trying the F.E.A.R. series at some point as well. Good haul!

The people still demand John Woo's Stranglehold, though.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Thank Christ they've finally made Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader backwards compatible. Everyone's been crying out for that one, surely.

Didit get localised with Noel Edmonds added in, or would they have gone with Dick & Dom/Damian Wiliams? 

• Paid Members

I've only played GTA 3 so far, but outside of the rain issues and a few cut scenes missing audio, I'm not hating it like the majority of people seem to. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it's possible me not being a hardcore gamer helps this, but on the whole I'm enjoying it so far. Espresso-2-go can fuck right off though.