The Last of Us II

Weezenal

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly think - and I mean this in the kindest possible way - you’ve missed the point a little bit, given what you’re saying as a whole. I’d suggest giving it a few months and revisiting the game with some of the points made here in mind.

Ellie clearly didn’t forgive Abby. 

Of course I can see where you’re coming from and I’ll be playing it again probably when the PS5 releases so my PS4 doesn’t sound like it’s going to blow up,  in my view though where she was drowning Abby and then a flash of Joel came to her mind thus letting Abby get away with Lev, leading to the final flashback of Joel and Ellie in which Ellie says she’d like to try to forgive him for what he’s done.

She was no longer angry at Joel transferring the fact that she was no longer angry at Abby, she accepted what had happened and moved on from revenge to forgiveness. 

• Paid Members

Not really, she moved from hate and revenge to despair and hopelessness. Ellie doesn't forgive Abby, she just realises how far she has gone and that killing Abby won't change anything. She breaks in that moment, she doesn't forgive.

What makes the final flashback so emotionally devastating is that the reason Ellie is in so much pain is that Joel's murder took away Ellie's chance to ever forgive him. That's the real tragedy for her and what she can't accept.

Edited by LaGoosh

I didn’t get that she forgave her at all just that she realises it’s all futile and her humanity wins through at the end.

What that final flashback does show is that people have the capacity for forgiveness so maybe there is hope for her. Come on Druckmann you twat give me Part 3 where it’s just happy family simulator and baby potato grows up with two mummies!

• Paid Members

What were everyone's favourite bits in the game?

I loved the bit where Tommy is sniping at Abby and she has to fight her way up to him. Especially when Mannys head gets blown off. Also the whole section on the island had me on the edge of my seat.

• Paid Members

Ellie’s birthday is the best level I’ve ever played in any game. The sense of childish delight, Ellie and Joel bouncing off each other as Dad and daughter, putting the hats on the Dinosaurs. As an expectant Dad to a daughter it absolutely blew me away. By the time they were in the spaceship, with that wonderful music playing, I was crying my eyes out.

• Awards Moderator
52 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Ellie’s birthday is the best level I’ve ever played in any game. The sense of childish delight, Ellie and Joel bouncing off each other as Dad and daughter, putting the hats on the Dinosaurs. As an expectant Dad to a daughter it absolutely blew me away. By the time they were in the spaceship, with that wonderful music playing, I was crying my eyes out.

As mentioned on the last page, this is mine too. Gorgeous. 

For action, the descent from the skybridge down to the depths of hell in the hospital was heart stopping stuff.

• 3 months later...

Ive finally got round to finishing it today and I really enjoyed. Probably prefer it to the first one mainly because it was long. My main gripe with the first one was that it was so short. 

Saying that though, the parts in the space museum and the aquarium can fuck right off. They were so fucking boring. Also, I get that the cut scenes were a big part of what made the first so great but they really ramped them up in this one to the point that I found them a bit annoying at times. If I wanted to watch a movie, I’d watch a movie. I want to play the fucking game!

Overall, great game, fuck Abby. 

30 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Ive finally got round to finishing it today and I really enjoyed. Probably prefer it to the first one mainly because it was long. My main gripe with the first one was that it was so short. 

Saying that though, the parts in the space museum and the aquarium can fuck right off. They were so fucking boring. Also, I get that the cut scenes were a big part of what made the first so great but they really ramped them up in this one to the point that I found them a bit annoying at times. If I wanted to watch a movie, I’d watch a movie. I want to play the fucking game!

Overall, great game, fuck Abby. 

Wrong! The museum is wonderful! The cutscenes are great and Abby is the good guy(ish)! 

• 2 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

I played and finished this over the Christmas week. What an exhilarating, draining experience. I loved it. 

A game has never dragged so much emotion out of me. Like Harmy and Supremo said, Ellie listening to the moon landing in the lunar module, or Ellie standing over Nora waiting for YOU to press X to cave her skull in, or the furious, drunken passion of Abby and Owen, the bludgeoning of Joel... And I was screaming at Ellie as she packed her bag to leave Dina and JJ. Fair play, character makes shitty decision and pays for it. 

And to balance it with the action set pieces that Naughty Dog are so good at. The sniper chase. The rat king. The subway dash. Horse riding through Haven. 

I had some niggles. During it, some parts dragged (why fetch quest medical supplies for a character that dies two scenes later? Why can't the theatre showdown be the final confrontation?). And some of the violence leaned into Resi gratuitous (that big hammer dude as the Haven boss with the Joker face, rat king kills, arm-hammering). But these are personal. 

Like everyone else I hated having to play as Abby but of course you end up understanding her during the playthrough. Very Raiden. 

Overall a staggering achievement of a game. I really want to play through it again, but I need a couple of weeks away to let it settle.