The Last of Us II

Weezenal

• Paid Members

The Last of Us II is out today. 

I only played the first one the end of last year and thought it was great, so this is the first game I've pre-ordered in years.

I think I finished the first I'm about 15 hours which is probably the perfect length for a game that isn't open world now days so hoping for something similar.

Who's getting it? 

I'll be getting it. I'm a massive advocate for the first one. It's not just my favourite game, but possibly my all round favourite media. I've played it through several times on all dificulties as it is a great game to play (despite some faults). But the big draw though is the characters, story and voice acting. Just absolutely outstanding and beautiful.

A fan of the game actually made a mini series out of it using cutscenes and well edited gameplay footage. Again, I've watched that through a few times.

Unfortunately I am unable to buy TLOU II it any time soon, which is a massive downer for me. I've purposely started Fallout 4 again as I know it will keep me more than occupied until it either drops in price or I get a second hand copy.

With that said, I'm bowing out of this thread for a while.

• Paid Members

Likewise, desperate for the postie to arrive today.

I love the first one. Don't think a game has ever had an emotional effect on me like that. The Winter section of that game is probably my favourite segment of a game ever. I played that bit through in one intense sitting. 

There’s a really good podcast running through the original game that started a couple of weeks ago. Kind of like the Watchmen and Chernobyl ones HBO did. The official The Last Us Podcast It’s called. Loads of good interviews with Neil Druckmann, Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson. Great music on it too.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else finished this? 

Graphically it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played but that's where this game begins and ends for me. The effort they put into minor details and how they worked/gave everyone a name where it felt they were a part of the story instead of NPC #1/2/etc was outstanding. 

It was a giant slog to get through, poorly paced and the character balance shoddy. I could not give two fucks about the self-serving lead roles, the characters around them managed to keep it together. The reliance on jump scares kills the impact it is supposed to make too. 

The character/enemy balance is out of whack as well. Its creeped into video games over the last few years that developers will make a players character less mobile than the enemys/npc's under the pretense that it makes it more difficult for the player but it's a lazy cop out into fixing mechanics. Its especially prevelant in the remake of Resident Evil 2. (No dodge, clunky movement but Mr X and zombies can run/dive/grab for fun.) 

It just wasn't enjoyable to play and I don't feel like punishing myself a second time around to see if I can change my mind about it although I can see why someone else will love it.

It just ain't for me. I would however love an open world Seattle/large area to explore/survive in based on the effort they put in to creating what's in this game. 

• Paid Members

I played it through twice in a row. I absolutely loved it and massively disagree with most the criticisms it's received from some. Especially from the textbook angry anti-SJW incel crowd that jump on everything that doesn't fulfill their every crowd pleasing wish. I actually preferred my second play through in a lot of ways as I knew what to expect in terms of the game pacing and the character beats hit me a lot harder second time round. Several moments effected me emotionally in ways games have never done before. A fantastic game.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I loved it. The pacing was all over the place, but there's always a chance that will happen when you try to go for' epic', especially with the split narrative. I really wish they'd played with that a little bit and had a bit more of the events crossing over, not with the characters meeting, but little things like you damaging an area so the other character has to take a different route (Resident Evil has been doing it for years and it's always nice to get that little moment of 'ahhhhhh' to remind you). It's probably the first game thats made me uneasy during some of the violence, especially the dog stuff and the end scenes. It all felt a bit too much, but I suppose thats the point.

It's still crazy to me that they can get this level of emotion and acting in a video game now

• Paid Members

Before the game came out a big deal was made out of how killing people and dogs would make you feel bad. I must say I didn't feel that at all. I love the combat system and felt like a fucking badass sneaking up and shivving people and blowing heads off with rifles. The bow and the crossbow are particularly satisfying. It's not like I'm killing innocent people, they're trying to kill me too! Likewise, when the dogs attack it's pretty fucking scary, I had no bad feelings sniping them from far away so they didn't end up biting my throat off.

The only time it really effected me was in the two main fights in the theatre and on the beach because I loved both characters and didn't want either to die. Those fights were insanely brutal, physically and emotionally. 

Edited by LaGoosh

Yeah put me in the ‘it’s a masterpiece’ camp but I totally see why some people have a problem with the pacing, some of the characterisation and the way the moral of the story is presented repeatedly. I just didn’t see it that way and it all clicked for me in a way no story has before. 

I did find the fact the main doggy shared my youngest daughters name a bit unsettling.

I guess we’re good for spoilers in here?