Aldi Lager

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Since lockdown I've been on lager. It's rare I drink it, normally cask all the way, but I don't like bottle conditioned ales and the weather has called more for cold lager. 

Aldi's lagers are the best. Their Kronennourg rip off is delightful, but their Krombacher rip off Rheinbacher is possibly the nicest lager I've ever had. Until Wales Brough in minimum unit pricing it was only like 2.99 for 4 too. Its 4 50 now because of the pricing swiz so I fuck off lockdown and go to Oswestry in England to buy it cheap. They also do some lovely fruit based craft beers for a pound a can. The blood orange one is a fucking triumph. 

Does anybody else enjoy Aldi's beer? Or their Alcohol range in general. 

Edited by PowerButchi

Aldi's the best at alcohol. You're spoiled for choice on cheap, tasty stuff without needing to resort to their Galahad, like me. 

Brasserie, Saint Etienne and Karlskrone alone are nice and easy to drink for the price. Rheinbacher is a delight.  Brown Bear double IPA rules if you're going for the beard stroker stuff. Always got good wines, too, if that's your thing. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

I love all of Aldi's rip-off beers. Rheinbacher is my favourite but all of them are good and only £1.29 a bottle too. 

They've recently released a Birra Moretti rip off too which is fantastic. 

Their Craft beer festivals that they have a couple of times a year are also a highlight. 

Wifeys favourite wines are all from Aldi too. Her favourite is the Cambalala Chenin Blanc. 

Lidl's stuff is muck. I always feel like I'm drinking cheap supermarket stuff. Same with most of their food. They're quite a drop from Aldi, moreso than being two sides of the same Deutsche mark. 

2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Lidl's stuff is muck. I always feel like I'm drinking cheap supermarket stuff. Same with most of their food. They're quite a drop from Aldi, moreso than being two sides of the same Deutsche mark. 

Lidl's only good when they get guest ales in for their own Beer Fest, otherwise I try not to shop their at all unless I'm close by and want something from the fresh bakery.

• Paid Members

Lidl was better when the did those massive orange tins of ravioli and the cherry jam that had whole cherries in it. It's gone off the boil since then. I still go, mainly because there about 5 near me and no Aldi. 

• Paid Members

Same!! My lager consumption is the highest it's been since the nineties.

Mostly drinking Polish beer as there's no queues at the skleps? and by trying loads I've dressed up my constant lockdown boozing as a connoisseur's exploration of Eastern European breweries. I'm a big Kasztelan fan. The snide 1664 in Aldi is bang on but their 'craft lagers' can get fucked. £1.20 for 330ml? No ta. 

The Aldi Belgian IPA posted above is mint though. 

• Paid Members

We've got an Aldi around the corner so when this all started and I'd go to the shop with my tartan trolly rather than drive, what with all the panic buying filling the car park, and I'd always treat myself to a few cans for the walk home. 

I'm a bit picky about larger because when it's bad it's awful but they do some nice stuff for a good price. 

It's not filled the pint of mild in town hole left by the pubs being shut but it's worth trying. 

I get fierce hangovers whenever I drink the little medicine bottles, Saint Etienne or Biere D'ore or whatever it's called. My favourite Aldi gargle at the moment is the silver cans of 1079 project. Feckin delish and you thrown them back so easily. Around 3 odd quid for 4 of them aswell.

The-1079-Project-Ale-A.jpg?o=UuLYrHJJLCu

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Same!! My lager consumption is the highest it's been since the nineties.

Mostly drinking Polish beer as there's no queues at the skleps? and by trying loads I've dressed up my constant lockdown boozing as a connoisseur's exploration of Eastern European breweries. I'm a big Kasztelan fan. The snide 1664 in Aldi is bang on but their 'craft lagers' can get fucked. £1.20 for 330ml? No ta. 

The Aldi Belgian IPA posted above is mint though. 

The snide 1664 is better for my money. Lovely, isn't it? 

Rheinbacher is the Aldi Champion though. Superb. 

Edited by PowerButchi