Tag teams that should or shouldn't have been

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

in Dan Severn's autobiography, he mentions having been at college with Dr Death Steve Williams, and what an absolute machine he was. Ever since reading that I've imagined them as a no nonsense tag team suplexing jobbers to death, or butting heads with the Steiner Brothers in early '90s WCW.

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

in Dan Severn's autobiography, he mentions having been at college with Dr Death Steve Williams, and what an absolute machine he was. Ever since reading that I've imagined them as a no nonsense tag team suplexing jobbers to death, or butting heads with the Steiner Brothers in early '90s WCW.

Oh yes! :) 

Would have been good to see them against the Road Warriors too.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

Aldo Montoya & 1-2-3 Kid in WWF, for a good run & a title run ... would have worked I think.  Against The Body Donnas, Well Dunn or even the Smoking Gunns ...

I preferred Kid’s teams with Marty Jannetty, Bob Holly and Razor Ramon myself around that time. Justin Credible with yellow pants on his head just wasn’t cutting it. He’d have dragged the Kid down. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Good shout but we already got a better version of that in early 90s WCW.

Should’ve;

I always thought Taz and Saturn would’ve made a decent team. In ECW - I think they’d have fit better together as The Eliminators than anything involving John Kronus. And if Taz had gone to WCW with him in the late 90s, yeah they’d have been lost in the shuffle on a roster of a million guys but they could’ve had some cracking matches with the Steiners, Benoit/Malenko, Rey/Kidman and that lot.

In hindsight I wish we’d got more of Ravishing Rick Rude and Mr Perfect together. Obviously they were great in singles but I thought they looked the business together in WCW. But of course Rude was done by then. The rare times we did see them team up (Survivor Series 89 springs to mind) I thought they had chemistry and them being such good mates surely added to that. Them as a semi-regular team around 89/90, being managed by Bobby Heenan, would’ve been a lot of fun. Matches with the Hart Foundation and The Rockers would’ve been class. 

Shouldn’t have;

Roadwarrior Animal and Heidenreich in 2004 or 2005 or whenever was fucking abysmal. Nothing else to add. 

Also, a really obvious one but Arn Anderson and Paul Roma in 1993 WCW should’ve never seen the light of day. I get that they were stuck for ideas at the time, Arn was a proven master of the tag game and Roma looked great. But they just didn’t fit at all. Roma was a natural prick bad guy and gelled much better with Orndorff the following year. But as a babyface Horseman doing 30 minute matches on PPV, he dragged Arn to some of the most boring lifeless matches of his career. It’s even worse when you imagine if they’d actually been able to bring Tully back in for that Horsemen reuinion in 93. Arn and Tully vs Austin and Pillman could’ve been something special.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

tumblr_lfx21oAKCQ1qetjf6o1_250.gifv

7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Roadwarrior Animal and Heidenreich in 2004 or 2005 or whenever was fucking abysmal. Nothing else to add. 

If you want to live in a world where this isn't in the start of every episode of smack down it's your loss.

tumblr_lfx21oAKCQ1qetjf6o1_250.webp

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

If you want to live in a world where this isn't in the start of every episode of smack down it's your loss.

tumblr_lfx21oAKCQ1qetjf6o1_250.webpUnavailable

I can’t see the picture and I’ve got a feeling the forum’s done me a solid there. 

00C54D47-5F0A-4CD4-A329-30D25FA1E7DB.png

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Should’ve;

In hindsight I wish we’d got more of Ravishing Rick Rude and Mr Perfect together. Obviously they were great in singles but I thought they looked the business together in WCW. But of course Rude was done by then. The rare times we did see them team up (Survivor Series 89 springs to mind) I thought they had chemistry and them being such good mates surely added to that. Them as a semi-regular team around 89/90, being managed by Bobby Heenan, would’ve been a lot of fun. Matches with the Hart Foundation and The Rockers would’ve been class. 

giphy.gif

Edited by CL Punk

23 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Should’ve;

I always thought Taz and Saturn would’ve made a decent team. In ECW - I think they’d have fit better together as The Eliminators than anything involving John Kronus. And if Taz had gone to WCW with him in the late 90s, yeah they’d have been lost in the shuffle on a roster of a million guys but they could’ve had some cracking matches with the Steiners, Benoit/Malenko, Rey/Kidman and that lot.

Yes! On one of the early Smackdown games Saturn happened to have orange and black trunks and they both had a similar skin tone in the game, so naturally i stuck them together as a team. Genuinely think they'd have been a good fit though and just sounds like the sort of team i'd have fucking loved.

I always thought Alberto Del Rio would have his face turn by saving Ricardo Rodriguez, they'd start teaming with Alberto getting Ricardo to believe in himself and they'd eventually bag the titles with Ricardo scoring the victory in a little feel good story.

• Paid Members

Watching WCW from the early 90s at the moment, and with Robert Gibson out injured they've substituted Tommy Rich. It's a significant downgrade. I know it doesn't really count as it's a makeshift thing, but it's a terrible visual pairing, and somehow drags them both down. 

Ziggler to me screams someone who should be in a tag team. Him and Gable could have been good together. 

No end of second generation stars who couldn't cut it on their own, who would have been good as a serious tag team playing of fathers gimmicks too. Curtis Axel in particular feels like a tag wrestler

On 4/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Yes! On one of the early Smackdown games Saturn happened to have orange and black trunks and they both had a similar skin tone in the game, so naturally i stuck them together as a team. Genuinely think they'd have been a good fit though and just sounds like the sort of team i'd have fucking loved.

I always thought Alberto Del Rio would have his face turn by saving Ricardo Rodriguez, they'd start teaming with Alberto getting Ricardo to believe in himself and they'd eventually bag the titles with Ricardo scoring the victory in a little feel good story.

I forgot about black Saturn in the smackdown games.

• Paid Members
On 4/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, wandshogun09 said:

always thought Taz and Saturn would’ve made a decent team. In ECW -

IIRC they were quite chummy in ECW, and Saturn was pissed at essentially being Kronus's carer as he was genuinely thick as shit.

Anywho, they had a big fallout when Saturn went to WCW because Taz felt he "stole his gimmick".

Off topic but my favourite Kronus story is of him driving while Saturn slept and when he woke up they were miles from the turning they needed because no one had told him to turn at the big sign with the state they neededs name on, from story's he always sounds like a moonsaulting Rainman. I'd not be surprised if he walked out halfway through a house show because it was two minutes to Wapner.

Edited by Tommy!
Fat thumbs