Great finishes

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can’t remember which PPV it’s from, might be one of the Battlegrounds, but the finish to Wade Barrett v Miz v Curtis Axel is great.

Its from that period where Ric Flair had taken Miz under his wing and he was using the Figure Four as a finisher. Miz is the defending IC champion and he he slaps the submission on Barrett in the centre of the ring, so he’s got nowhere to go and on the verge of giving up. Axel slips into the ring and holds Barrett down for the pin. By the time Miz can do anything to prevent it, the match is over and Curtis Axel leaves with the belt

I hated this finish.  In one on one matches, when a guy applies a figure four, and his opponent's shoulders are on the mat, the ref counts and the opponent has to kick out.  So why in the above scenario did Barrett's shoulders being down only count for Axel winning, and not Miz too?  Surely they should have shared the pinfall and the win?

https://www.wwe.com/videos/wade-barrett-vs-curtis-axel-vs-the-miz-intercontinental-championship-triple-threat-match-wwe

I always hold a soft spot for the ending of Stone Cold vs Corporate Dude Love at Over The Edge 1998. Vince made himself the ref, Paterson the ring announcer, Gerry Brisco the time keeper. The added stipulation that if Stone Cold laid a finger on him (having brained him with a chair shot the previous month) he’d lose the match and the title. And you knew Vince wasn’t going to play fair.

Add that to Vince’s proclamation that the match would end by his ‘hands only’ and you had the perfect set up for ’Cold Stone’ to lose.

But Vince made a mistake, and that mistake was the token gesture of allowing a man to enter as an enforcer, assuming no-one would dare to. Enter The Undertaker, and thus sets off a chain of events leading to absolute chaos, a loud Milwaukee crowd (which says a lot given how bad that particular town is now for live engagement) and a bonkers finish.

Edited by uklaw

7 hours ago, bbabba said:

I hated this finish.  In one on one matches, when a guy applies a figure four, and his opponent's shoulders are on the mat, the ref counts and the opponent has to kick out.  So why in the above scenario did Barrett's shoulders being down only count for Axel winning, and not Miz too?  Surely they should have shared the pinfall and the win?

https://www.wwe.com/videos/wade-barrett-vs-curtis-axel-vs-the-miz-intercontinental-championship-triple-threat-match-wwe

Because The Miz's shoulders aren't on the mat for the full three count. When realises the ref is counting, he twists onto his side to try and break up the pin. 

7 hours ago, bbabba said:

I see what you’re saying, but I’ve never understood why the ref counts the shoulders in the one-on-one scenario, because they’re not “pinning” the guy’s upper body down, Whereas Axel in this instance is “pinning” Barrett to the mat. Like I say, I see where you’re coming from as that’s an established wrestling troupe, but it goes against definition 

• Paid Members

The Triple-Threat Cage Match at BreakDown was really nicely done, and I remember enjoying the end a lot. Mankind, Ken Shamrock and The Rock - and Mankind is still moving from tweener mode to face mode. He's showing more signs of being a face during this one, including the elbow-drop attempt from the top of the cage. He hits Shamrock with the Double-Arm DDT, and goes to climb the cage - and just before he makes it out, The Rock pins Shamrock. Mankind is devastated, but it's all his own fault. Either way, great sympathy and a nice ending. Always surprised they didn't do more with triple-threats in cages.

More recently, the ending of DIY vs The Revival was superb and hilarious. Both members of DIY in submissions, frantically trying to grab each other's hand before they can tap - and then both desperately tapping at the same point. Great match and a perfect finish to it.

Not seen it since, but I liked it when Daniel Bryan beat Trips in the opening match of that Wrestlemania with his running knee/kick. It was executed so slicky, and Trips sold it so well. Just a good old fashioned explosive finish. 

Snap Punk. 

Back in them days a finishing move pretty much ended the affair. I'd watch hogan leg drop everyone for the win, jake win everytime with the ddt etc. 

I think for me it wasn't that they were lucky its that the end came from nowhere in the match. 

Piper vs Bret is an excellent one as well. 

Michael's vs razor in their first ladder match is a great one

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

This beauty

I might be in the minority but that just looks awful in my opinion, not as bad as the Moonsault self Rock bottom thing that was popular for a spell (Spanish fly is it) but it's down there.