Help educate me on female wrestling

Chasingamymatt

So i'm trying to broaden my horizons. i've never really been a fan of female wrestling outside of watching some Bull Nakano and Medusa stuff but i've been moseying about and wow. Jumping Bomb Angels, Madusa, Bull, Molly Holly & Aja Kong. These wrestlers are fantastic. Can anyone give me recomendations as I feel i've barely scratched the surface. Bull Nakano is a particular favorite from what i've seen so far. Powerful, agile, Fooking terrifying!

• Paid Members

Manami Toyota has about as many 5 star matches from the Observer as anyone, so looking those up is always a good start.

Anything with the Crush Gals, either as a team or against each other - the crowd reaction alone would make it worthwhile even if they weren't incredible.

Meiko Satomura has been consistently one of the greats for years - if you have the WWE Network, her match from the Mae Young Classic vs Mercedes Martinez is one of my favourite matches in recent years; the sort of match you can watch a dozen times and find something new every time. 

This match between Meiko and Kay Lee Ray from the first EVE Wrestle Queendom show came close to being my Match Of The Year when it happened;

Disappointingly neither appears to be on YouTube any more, but if you can locate them (and I've not checked any Torrent sites) I strongly recommend Devil Masami vs Chigusa Nagayo and Lioness Asuka vs Jaguar Yokota, which took place on 22 August 1985.  An incredible one-two punch, both matches are phenomenal and wrestled completely differently.  They aired on the AJW Classics show (episodes 5 and 6 respectively) if that helps you in tracking them down online somewhere.  And it's absolutely worth doing if you can! 

If you want an alternative to the brilliant AJW stuff then FMW had a surprisingly decent womens division too, Megumi Kudo being the standout star. And yeah some of it is deathmatch based but I find that they did them often better than the guys, the retirement match for Combat Toyoda probably being the best and most well known.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

If you want an alternative to the brilliant AJW stuff then FMW had a surprisingly decent womens division too, Megumi Kudo being the standout star. And yeah some of it is deathmatch based but I find that they did them often better than the guys, the retirement match for Combat Toyoda probably being the best and most well known.

cant watch that and not hear Stranglemania commentary

Jaguar Yokota v Lioness Asuka + Chigusa Nagayo v Devil Masami from 1985 AJW have some of the most rabid fans ever.

An all-timer: Akira Hokuto v Shinobu Kandori from AJW Dream Slam 1993 (a show well worth watching in its entirety):

one of the most insanely hard-hitting matches I've ever seen. like...puffy faces hard-hitting. mental. Aja Kong v Yumiko Hotta, 1994 AJW:

here's a fairly recent one with Hotta from JWP:

other favs are Aja Kong/KAORU in 2000 GAEA & KAORU/Lioness Asuka in 2005 GAEA

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

If you want an alternative to the brilliant AJW stuff then FMW had a surprisingly decent womens division too

yeah, because AJW had an enforced retirement age of 27, and extremely strict physical requirements for women trying to get into the company, places like FMW and IWA-Japan that these days are mostly known for deathmatches but back then were just looking for anything to make them stand out, would be able to make spots for the women who AJW didn't want, and who wanted to keep wrestling rather than give up when they failed the AJW try-outs.

48 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

yeah, because AJW had an enforced retirement age of 27, and extremely strict physical requirements for women trying to get into the company, places like FMW and IWA-Japan that these days are mostly known for deathmatches but back then were just looking for anything to make them stand out, would be able to make spots for the women who AJW didn't want, and who wanted to keep wrestling rather than give up when they failed the AJW try-outs.

Yeah the intial women were all from the AJW Dojo weren't they? Onita scouted whoever slipped throught their cracks for whatever reason.

I love mid 80's AJW and it holds up better than the 90's boom period imo. Perfect mix of good wrestling and utter chaos.

Dump Matsumoto is probably one of most underappreciated heels of the 80's. Never the best wrestler (pretty crap if we are being honest) but a believable nutter who could get crazy amounts of heat.

Late 70's and early 80's AJW also holds surprisingly well other than the constant cheap finishes. Never understood why count outs were so frowned upon in Japan until I watched stuff from that era.