Title Deeds - Restrictive Covenants

Steve Justice

I come across so many weirdo's like this on the post and they always want to tell you the story of why the perfectly normal and reasonable neighbour is such a cunt for having a cat or something. Always kick off when you walk on their gardens too.  Fuck them.

27 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yep it reads that way. I work in the leasehold industry and whilst it's a whole different animal, there are some similarities between leases and deeds. If your deeds make no mention of the door colour bollocks then you're fine. That might just be an informal agreement between the residents at some point. Is there some sort of resident's association?

Would advise against this unfortunately. From my experience they've given bad advice in this sort of field many, many times because property ownership in this country is so archaic and often defies common sense. Not against CAB in general at all, but in this field they're not great. Legal advice would definitely be my suggestion if you want clarification about the lawn. You might find case law will help you in this respect, as it's odd to insist on keeping a lawn given how common patios are these days.

I'm not sure about any residents association.

The CAB have been practically useless the last couple of times I've been to see them, so I've lost my faith in them anyway. And a patio front garden would be far more attractive looking than unkempt grass, which it will be most of the time until I can be bothered to get the mower out.

What is odd is that these restrictions only apply to a block of 4 houses where some land was purchased and built on in 1970. All the other houses on our road that have been around much longer all have walls and paved front gardens etc. It's pretty baffling tbh.

When we first moved in, the neighbours had pleasure in telling me that the house two doors up planted rose bushes around their boundry. They told the poor lady she had to take them out because they're above 12 inches. That's when they told me about all these restrictions and what we're allowed to do.

If we go ahead with it and they kick off, I'll tell them they'll have to take down their 6ft rear fence as it's 12 inches too tall according to the deeds. The Nazi's.

1 minute ago, Steve Justice said:

100% Brexit, UKIP, Tories. 

I'm deffo doing the junk mail thing, but I don't know what their last name is. He does look like a paedophile, so I might just address it to Mr Glitter. 

Make sure you get info on patio work and driveways sent to him, as well as anything that’ll flare up the gammon, such as gay labour stuff. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

When we first moved in, the neighbours had pleasure in telling me that the house two doors up planted rose bushes around their boundry. They told the poor lady she had to take them out because they're above 12 inches. That's when they told me about all these restrictions and what we're allowed to do.

They were likely wrong then, she could have argued they constitute a boundary wall and left them. Kept them at precisely 4 5" just to really piss them off. 

Get the lesser reputable driveway tarmacing/garden clearance companies to come round to give them some quotes. If they're anything like the ones around here they'll blag the hell out of them and end up leaving with petrol money for their trouble. 

• Paid Members

The wording on the deeds makes it sound like restrictions that were put in place during planning for the properties, probably after objections / guidance from the owners of the existing properties on the street. They may well have a clause in theirs that says they can't paint their stupid door but you don't. 

The majority of places that have that level of control over the externals are ex-council. They usually have clauses to stop people adding their own doors and windows (some for uniformity, some because the council were solely in charge of repair/replacement of them) You usually only find out when someone gets told they can't paint a St George's Cross on their door during the world cup or bought their property on a right to buy and didn't challenge the wording on the deeds.

• Paid Members
On 1/26/2020 at 1:41 PM, Steve Justice said:

Cheers for that. Shame we'll have to keep it as a lawn. We really wanted to do away with it. I hate mowing, and my wife is unable to mow.

That’s ideal. Turn it in to a big grassy eye saw and let them moan about it to the point they advise you to concrete it. Sorted.