UFC Newark: Covington vs Lawler - Aug 3 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

My reasoning for thinking it was poor was it took Dean the third drop of the arm to call it when it seemed clear enough on television that Guida was unconscious with the first fall of the arm. Maybe Herb got a different feeling when checking the arm and felt Guida was still awake as of the first check, but it really didn't look anything like it on screen. 

• Paid Members

What made that hard for Herb was that Guida’s arm was trapped by Miller’s leg. I felt like Herb could’ve stopped it a little earlier watching live but I didn’t have a big problem with it.

It was a fun fight in the short time it lasted. I thought when Clay cracked him that Miller was in trouble, then he busts out that guillotine. Great to see Miller get that moment in New Jersey. I was in attendance for his UFC debut on the Birmingham show back in 2008 and he’s been great to watch over the years and seems a top bloke on top of it. His first fight against Joe Lauzon is still one of my favourite lightweight fights ever. Total bloodbath. Had no idea he’s been dealing with Lyme disease. A quick google and it’s all over the place, he’s talked about it loads. Don’t know how that got past me. He’s 35 now and in that snake pit at 155, he’s not going to make waves in the title picture, but it’d be nice to see him have a good little final run before he calls it a day. He’s coming off 2 consecutive wins for the first time in a while, so hopefully he can build off that. 

Unlike that RDA vs Edwards card the other week, there were a lot of finishes on this show. Nasrat ‘Mini Gastelum’ Haqparast looked great. What a finish. Landed what seemed like a million punches in about 4 seconds at the end there. Antonina Shevchenko got a nice submission over Lucie Pudilova. Happy to see her back in the win column. Lauren Murphy fucked up Mara Borella with an absolute barrage late in a pretty cack fight. And I said it in the opening post but I think Claudio Silva is a real darkhorse. He’s on a 14 fight streak now and his only loss was a DQ in his MMA debut. Nobody has actually beat him and he looks a bit of a beast grappler. I like him. 

And Dong Hyun Ma’s eye.

76-F901-D7-EAF5-4-D5-F-93-F4-01-AD33-B90

Poor bugger. 

Oh and fuck Colby Covington. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Triple C is either better at EPO than TJ or he's a freak athlete. Colby is clearly a talented fighter, but it's that mad red line pace he keeps that is Making UFC Great Again. It's what will be interesting about the match with Marty because they're both going to get after it at such a frightening pace. Anyway, he drowned Robbie with action. Robbie is always game, of course, but there are not many men on earth that can keep pace.

Also, that DC/Stipe hype video is boss. I'm actually hoping Stipe gets his win back so we get a third fight early next year.

• Paid Members

Nasrat Haqparast meeting his twin brother from another mother (and country and ethnicity) Kelvin Gastelum;

Bit spooky. I want to see them fight each other. It’d be like when me and my brother used to have Ryu vs Ryu on Street Fighter and one would be wearing the ‘away kit’. 

Covington's comments about Hughes were tasteless. However, they probably won't land him in hot water. Hughes is one of the least sympathetic characters in the MMA community. He's also seemingly taken Covington's comments on the chin:

I have little to add about the fight itself. Covington made Lawler look very old throughout the fight. The only meaningful offence that Lawler landed over the entire fight was a meaty punch in the 3rd frame. Nevertheless, while he is a world-class fighter, and may well prove himself to be the best welterweight in the world later in the year, the Covington spectacle still does little for me. I will watch his fight with Usman, but only because of its relevance to the sport. The trash talk between the two does little for me. It doesn't make me want to watch to see Covington get beat. It's just kinda lame.

The entire situation sums up the UFC in 2019. I mostly view their shows for what happens inside the cage. Little else. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Not a bad card at all, some nice action and finishes. Covington absolutely bulldozed his way through Lawler in that main event. He might be a bit of a cunt, but fair play to the man.

Something I found interesting though was Colby's entrance. He nicks Kurt Angle's theme to really hammer home the whole MAGA gimmick, but what caught my attention were the loud "You Suck" chants. While obviously a bunch of us here are into both, my understanding from social media was that 95% of MMA fans HATED pro wrestling. And Kurt's "You Suck" schtick came after the Attitude Era. Methinks a lot of MMA fans are kinda in the closet about liking that dirty fake wrasslin' stuff.

• Paid Members

Colby is going to be a hard man to beat. He sets a ridiculous pace and whilst he does slow down the pressure he applies early means his opponent is depleted more than him as the fight goes on so he just stays on top and keeps on firing. For the first 2 rounds he looked as good as any welterweight in years. 3-5 i think he was so confident that Lawler had faded that he just peppered him about with ease. Utter domination.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Some on the Sherdog forum legitimately thought it was a work. 

In reality, I think Covington simply wore him down and perplexed him. 

Yeah, I'm not saying I actually thought it was. That's how Covington managed to make it look. At the same time I wouldn't be shocked if we find out something was wrong with Lawler. Something just didn't seem right. 

• Paid Members

I just think Covington’s non-stop pace and the threat of the takedowns completely shut him down. He never had chance to set or put anything together or time anything because he was constantly defending what Colby was doing. It seems Colby’s defence on the feet is his fucking relentless offence. After a round or so of him dragging you around and hanging off your neck and shit like that, you’re either knackered, mind-fucked or both. Even when Colby’s pace slowed slightly and Lawler wasn’t having to constantly defend takedowns, he was probably thinking about it too much. And by that point his arms were probably gassed anyway. You could see between rounds later in the fight that Lawler’s corner kept shaking his arms out and stuff. 

I loathe the prick but Covington is going to be an absolute bastard to beat. 

7 hours ago, Chunk said:

What a bizarre performance by Lawler. Parts of that fight genuinely looked like a work to me. It took him 4 and a half rounds to throw anything with any power behind it. Just bizarre. 

I think the general belief was that Colby would be shooting for takedowns and trying to avoid the standup entirely, as Lawler would eventually catch him with a bomb and put him down. When Colby not only didn't avoid the standup but actively took it to Lawler on the feet with some excellent volume striking I think it confused a lot of people.

Basically, due to his carry on with the boomerang and his supposed reluctance to scrap backstage (as if that's a negative somehow) he's gained a reputation as a good wrestler who's a bit of a coward. Seeing him show a chin and not be afraid to stand in front of Lawler has forced some people to have a bit of a rethink.

This ain't just a wrestler with great cardio, he's got good striking as well, and while he's not got one-punch KO power he mixes his shit up very well, going from kicks to punches and showing different angles and opening his opponent up for takedowns all over the place.

A lesser fighter than Lawler may well have been in danger of caving to those strikes, simply due to the volume and the sheer pace Colby was keeping.